Author Topic: Mx7? rx5? Newbies build thread begins  (Read 21033 times)

Offline Nik da Greek

• Banned user
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Mx7? rx5? Newbies build thread begins
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2010, 11:27:24 PM »
Hahaha, you could afford a KR1, Stu :eek:? The only reliable thing about them was the fact that sooner or later it would drop a ring peg and blow it\'s barrels into tiny pieces. Never saw monthly rebuilds as the cheap alternative hahaha  

Hmmmm, 2T sub forum :rolleyes:......I was always an Elsie type meself, can\'t beat a nice 350 LC on spannies where you know when it hits the power band it\'ll either spin up or wheelie or both, but its the anticipation guessing which it\'ll be :D........

Offline Steve-A

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 10:13:38 AM »
A couple of small updates.

My garage now looks a little like a breakers yard. I\'ve got 2 13bs, one with a dead rotor, an FC gearbox, an mx5 gearbox and various ancillaries.

Went to Blackpool to pick up the gearbox saturday then down to Devon to pull the good 13b from Lee Mills FC that he\'s breaking.

Was a good if tiring weekend!

I\'m in conversation with the v8 roadsters guys about a subframe and over the next couple of weeks I hope to clean up the good 13 and build up the megasquirt loom. :)
1984 Rx7: Gold. Edging towards roadworthyness!

Offline Steve-A

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2010, 12:35:46 PM »
Subframe is gonna come out at £700 + VAT, so leaning back towards modded stock one again.

I\'m also starting to think I might look for a cheap mk1 5 to run daily while I do the swap. I was considering general super cheap cars for £100 or something but thought with 5 I have plenty of spares + experience and know I can sell it when I\'ve got mine on the road again.

With another car to daily drive I should be able to get the 1.6 block outta my mx5 sooner rather than later and get a better idea of how the 13b will fit and what other problems I\'m going to come up against.

Offline russellparkerx

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2010, 02:54:57 PM »
Quote from: Nik da Greek;686888
Hahaha, you could afford a KR1, Stu :eek:? The only reliable thing about them was the fact that sooner or later it would drop a ring peg and blow it\'s barrels into tiny pieces. Never saw monthly rebuilds as the cheap alternative hahaha

Hmmmm, 2T sub forum :rolleyes:......I was always an Elsie type meself, can\'t beat a nice 350 LC on spannies where you know when it hits the power band it\'ll either spin up or wheelie or both, but its the anticipation guessing which it\'ll be :D........

Wonderful.  Sorry to threadjack, but we should all ditch these RXs and buy 350 lcs with day glo orange wheels, microns, boyesens and stan stephens borekits.  Then fill em up with 4 star and pre-mix Silky comp 2 and go out and have low speed crashes wearing insufficient protective clothing on sunny days.

Ah the memories.

Good luck with the MX7 Dude!

Offline grinder

• MRC Moderator / MRC Tight Ar$e
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fc3s.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2010, 04:53:04 PM »
Quote from: Nik da Greek;686888

ohh thread hijack again !!

yeah i ended up killing the KR1 - coming down the slip road at about 12K RPM in 3rd - it went bang in a big way

i think it did exactly as you mentioned - the upside was that it missed the recall and Kawasaki paid for £900 worth of parts and we just paid the rest - my dad rebuilt it in the garage for me !! :D

didnt help when we couldnt remove the power valves and my dad knocked them out with a hammer - then realised that they were £40 to replace

ahhhh them were the days eh !!

i have a 600 in the garage thats not been used for about 8 yrs - just got it running recently - but the better half wants me to sell the rex and get the bike back on the road .. cant see that happening to be honest - might just have to be gready and have the BMW , RX7 and the 600 as my toys :D

oh yeah - good look with the MX5 - RX7 conversion ;)

1990 Black Turbo II ( Updated 24th October 2006 ) : Click Here !!
1991 Turbo II Cab ( Updated 21th May 2009 ) : Click Here !!
Piccies >>> July 2004 / August 2005
My Feedback Thread: Click Here !!
Official Mazda Rotary club Tight A$$ :King (So tight only dogs hear him fart)
MRC Bargain Hunter 2005/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14 :god
Inventor of the 96p car cover:D
**Special award for services to tightness**
Lifetime achievement award for services to tightness
The tightest man on earth
:Giggle

Offline Steve-A

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2010, 11:12:02 AM »
Another week gone by and some fair progress made :)

I\'ve started to clean up the intake manifolds and sort out my stuck 5th and 6th port actuators, no pics of this but there\'s not much to see yet!

More importantly I\'ve built my gearbox, and its was much easier than I thought it was going to be!

Started with two gearboxes, fc n/a box on the left and mx5 5 speed on the right.

Then took both the tail housings off, revealing the automotive smut that is the inner workings of a gearbox!

Now the info I\'d read on the internet suggested that you needed to machine about an inch off the end of the input shaft when doing this swap, so we continued to strip the mx5 box down.

My friend Ian, was super psyched to have found a use for his new punch set, in removing roll pins from the gearbox linkages

Then just as we started to strip the FC box we realised that you only need to machine the input shaft if you want to use the mx5 gear set. I\'m quite keen to try the FC gearset as apparently it has a longer 5th gear, which would be quite nice. The mx5 gearset means 3.5k rpm at 70 on the motorway.... So using the FC gears meant no machining, we fitted the mx5 tail section onto the fc bellhousing an gears, sealed it all up and its good to go!

My pile of bits to goto the tip is ever growing as I cannibalise the various engines and gearboxes that clutter my garage!

I\'m buying a cheap runabout car of a friend this week, so saturdays plan is the pull the engine from my MX5 and start working on proper plans for engine mounts/subframe mods.

Offline TiddlesRX7

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2010, 11:15:29 AM »
Well done. I like threads like this.

Good luck with the rest of the project.
I don\'t need to upgrade my stock turbo to beat your ass!

Get your finger out, get it on the road and start driving it then!!! (B.Martin 25/2/12)

Offline rossonza

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2010, 07:38:58 PM »
Great update. Lovely to see inside those gearboxes. :-)
email @ rossonza@gmail.com
1984 FB series 2 in gold

Offline Steve-A

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2010, 10:05:09 AM »
Another week goes by and some small progress. Unfortunately its taking a little longer than hoped to get a daily driver organised, so pulling the engine from my mx5 has been postponed till next week :(

I spent a fair amount of time yesterday cleaning up and modifying the inlet manifold. I\'ve removed all the extra features from the throttle body that I shant be using with megasquirt, the majority of which being the second throttle plate. I\'ve filled the holes with metal putty then began to smooth it over. Still needs some time with a finer grit sandpaper to really smooth things out.

Similarly I\'ve removed the 5th and 6th port butterflies, filled their holes and smoothed out the casting marks near by. I know this is a controversial thing to do and I\'ll loose midrange, but I fancied going for the simplest engine build I can. I\'ve also read that I shant gain any top end from doing this, only loose mid range, I can see how thats the case with the american style rotating tube that goes into the main housing but the UK style butterflies have got to cause quite a restriction on the 5th and 6th ports. I\'ve got a spare LIM with working actuators, so swapping back is easy enough. Heres a couple of before and after pics.

I\'ve also smoothed out the transition from plenum to intake runners. Again this is just rough at the moment and needs smoothing out more.

In the process of cleaning out the intake runners I broke one of the secondary injector baskets :( How important are these? I\'ve got spare ones of the short primary injector style baskets. Could I just use one of those?

I\'m sending the injectors away to be cleaning next week, then I can rebuild the intake system :) Fingers crossed next weekend I\'ll be posting pictures of an mx5 with no engine!

p.s. I\'ve also been working on the body work for my motorbike! I\'ll post some pics for the two stroke crew at some point....

p.p.s running out of real work to do + being in garage with tools + spare parts = danger.

Again my friend Ian is the one who ends up looking silly on the internet as I stay safely behind the camera. It felt surprisingly natural to ride....

evans.I

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2010, 06:47:08 PM »
I\'m definatly not looking like the most useful person to be lending a hand with this judging by all the pictures of me looking like a right nonce! :P

Looking forward to tearing down the 5 this weekend and hanging some rotary in the bay! You best get the coffee in stock!

Ian.

Offline rossonza

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2010, 08:20:26 AM »
Tea boy at the ready!
email @ rossonza@gmail.com
1984 FB series 2 in gold

Offline clive

• MRC Founder
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://mazdarotaryparts.com
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2010, 08:58:17 AM »
Hi Steve,

Sorry managed to miss this thread :Hammer

Whilst this has been carried out around the world as far as I know this is the first Rotary MX-5 here on MRC,

You know there was a myth/rumor that Mazda designed the MX-5 so the Rotary would not fit but just 2 weeks after it went on sale in Australia somebody had one fitted :Giggle

Much more up to date the currant MX-5 shares the same floorpan as an RX-8 and very nearly hit the streets Rotary powered, some of these cars are in Germany,

More recently there\'s a company also in Germany that fits RX-8 engines into brand new MX-5\'s and give them a 40K price tag :eek:

Good luck with the project and keep us informed
All the best Clive

Offline clive

• MRC Founder
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://mazdarotaryparts.com
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2010, 09:00:07 AM »
Quote from: evans.I;692108
Looking forward to tearing down the 5 this weekend and hanging some rotary in the bay! You best get the coffee in stock!

Ian.

Welcome to MRC Ian
All the best Clive

Offline Steve-A

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2010, 09:55:17 AM »
Quote from: clive;692248
Hi Steve,

Sorry managed to miss this thread :Hammer

Whilst this has been carried out around the world as far as I know this is the first Rotary MX-5 here on MRC,

You know there was a myth/rumor that Mazda designed the MX-5 so the Rotary would not fit but just 2 weeks after it went on sale in Australia somebody had one fitted :Giggle

Much more up to date the currant MX-5 shares the same floorpan as an RX-8 and very nearly hit the streets Rotary powered, some of these cars are in Germany,

More recently there\'s a company also in Germany that fits RX-8 engines into brand new MX-5\'s and give them a 40K price tag :eek:

Good luck with the project and keep us informed

Hi Clive, Unfortunately its not the first one on here, its the 2nd. Martin at Speedline has done a turbo II conversion. Though he did a much more intensive conversion with entire drive train swap. There\'s a guy on the mx5nutz forum who\'s having an renesis fitted by WGT right now, so I might not be the only one but one of three isn\'t bad :P

I didn\'t realise that about the new mx5 being very so similar to rx8! I knew the gearboxes were pretty much interchangeable but not floor plan!

Daily driver is all sorted now. As of 1am Saturday morning the mx5 is off the road and I\'ve gotta drive a Fiat, damn. :Hammer

Was gonna get going on the car tonight but I\'ve been offered the opportunity to go to Morgan to do some filming with an Areo, so rotary will have to wait till the morning!

Offline Steve-A

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2010, 07:00:56 PM »
Today started with the collection of a very exciting car.... NOT

Not exciting, but it can carry me to work and back while I do silly things to my mx5. So in between the rain showers I parked up the 5 for that last time for a month or two, and Ross and I set to work dismantling the engine.

Didn\'t get too far, we didn\'t start till 4:30 because of picking up Punto and engine crane. Most of the loom is clear, all the ignition and fuel components are clear. We then had to stop (so we could goto a party tonight!)

Weathers looking better for monday, and I\'ve the day off work, so gonna try to make real progress then.