Author Topic: Warming up the rex!  (Read 1849 times)

Offline m1tch

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Warming up the rex!
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2009, 10:23:10 PM »
Quote from: MaLicE;655438
get aftermarket gauges then you can see when its propperly warmed up, my oil will warm to about 50 degrees c before the water even moves my water temp sender is after the stat so it reads 0 before the stat opens then you can see it open and the car is warmed up, normally wait till the water reads 80degrees c then slowly open the taps and let her scream lol but i start it and drive off keeping it below 3k rpm but driving it up to 3k if you get what i mean then once i see it at the right temp then i give it beans :)

Thats exactly why I have an oil temp gauge to be fitted, water (especially in HUGE aftermarket rads) is only indirectly heated by the engine, the oil is directly heated by the engine. You shouldn\'t rev or go on the beans until its been driven around a bit anyhow, that includes the turbo :) idling to 120k rpm in a few seconds, if not ready isn\'t good lol

MaLicE

Warming up the rex!
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2009, 12:04:12 AM »
120k .... lol thats gotta be a record?

Offline REVIT93RX7

• MRC Overseas Guest
    • View Profile
Warm up
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2009, 10:27:03 PM »
In the US the clutch must be depressed to start.  An interlock switch exists to ensure you have it in.

Offline Skifledanabit

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Warming up the rex!
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2009, 11:07:18 PM »
I always start in first gear with clutch depressed, then take it out of gear and wait until the engine warms up, the idle usually dips and rises again when it is sufficiently warm, takes the length of time to smoke a cigarette
1989 Gen 2 EGi http://www.missbanzai.net
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline CharlieP

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Warming up the rex!
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2009, 01:39:34 PM »
I have found that an after market water temperature gauge comes up to 70-80 degress about 5minutes after the one on the dash....
 So maybe the dash one isnt really accurate enough to gauge putting your foot down by!?
 Also....oil tends to warm up AFTER water....so best to wait a bit longer still!?

MaLicE

Warming up the rex!
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2009, 02:48:00 PM »
the oil should warm up first well should show temp on your gauge first then the water will move as the thermostat opens...

Offline Jono FD3

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.d-signstudio.com
Warming up the rex!
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2009, 07:53:39 PM »
Turn key & go for me ;) just keeping the RPM down to below 3k untill things warm up ;)

Jono

Offline Timmy

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Warming up the rex!
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2009, 08:46:45 PM »
Quote from: MaLicE;657337
the oil should warm up first well should show temp on your gauge first then the water will move as the thermostat opens...

Thats because your water temp sender isn\'t in the ideal place. Water temp will come up first if it\'s in the block than oil temp.
Also i\'ll point out it\'s hard to get the oil up to a proper tempreture untill you start using some decent revs.

Offline johnm

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Warming up the rex!
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2009, 12:31:45 AM »
Sitting at idle does not put any load in to the oil and the oil takes an age to heat-up, the oil when cold doesn\'t provide the correct design flow (oil thick - viscosity incorrect), and leads to accelerated wear.  This also is the same for the injected oil.  The coolant system takes longer to heat also, this means the combustion chamber walls remain colder for longer, so you get fuel condensation, which washes the injected oil from the places it need to be - again accelerated wear.

Depressing the clutch, disengages the gearbox from the engine, so the starter has less work to do, again when oil in the gearbox is cold it thickens up.  The clutch is a spring plate and requires the just about same loads when running or not, cannot see how wearing the cylinder could occur, you more likely to have wear from not having clean oil in the clutch hydraulic system?

Best advise with any engine is start and drive.  Keep engine loads low (low boost or no boost) until heated and don\'t revs the nuts of the engine, until oil temperature is heated through, to ensure the injected oil rates are correct and the bearings are supported correctly.  The more fuel injected - the more oil that is washed away.  

After writing this it sounds like a good idea to add 2 stroke oil to the fuel tank- even if it just for cold start/warm up protection!

Offline RXSpeedy

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Warming up the rex!
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2009, 09:07:46 PM »
I tend to let the car warm slightly enough so i can actually see where im going after its demisted lol. Generally i just get in and drive though this cold weather makes mine pop and fart like crazy until she gets warmer.

Offline Steve Burnett

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://
Warming up the rex!
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2009, 10:45:14 AM »
I always found it hard to keep off the boost. The car is just so good you want to drive and drive on boost. You need to restrain yourself and let it heat up slow then go mental once it\'s nice and warm.
Nothing worse than a sick FD.