Author Topic: Rotary in a Westfield???  (Read 29670 times)

Offline kiwimazda

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Rotary in a Westfield???
« Reply #240 on: June 01, 2011, 08:51:33 PM »
My final instructions for the sprint at Abingdon airfeild on 11th june arrived today.
There are 4 in my class and a total of 130 entries.
If I can make the top 15 overall then thats good and at worst 2nd in class. I am up against one of they guys who got me last year so I must try harder. But this could all turn to poo if the standard box breaks:flamed

Offline kiwimazda

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Rotary in a Westfield???
« Reply #241 on: June 12, 2011, 06:24:56 AM »
Hurrah the gearbox survived but what a difference over the C/R one. Its almost like its was missing a gear between 2nd and 3rd.
The day went well but had a couple of issues. First up was the mandatory noise test and after 7 years with a mazda engine they finally got me and it tested at 115db(10 over the max allowed limit)
So I took some packing out of the rear silencer and tried again. Bingo, 108db.
Fuel pick up was the next problem and it wouldnt with less than 1/2 tank which is bizzare as the pimp takes the fuel from the bottom of the ally tank. So after every run it was top up with petrol. Just as will it only hold 15 ltrs or I would have been dragging extra weight for nowt.
So end result was 2nd in class and 13th overall out of 130.
I compared times to last year and after all the development and new parts that have gone into the car iy would seem I have been wasting my time as I was faster last year at the same venue with the same track conditions. The car now handles better,stops better and I had better tires this year so somethings not right there some where. I think I know where it is, but so we will do a bit of looking to find out.
But thats it for this carand its a big relief to have not crashed it big style.(that could give you an idea as to why I am slower this year)

Offline shaunwil

• Extra Special Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Rotary in a Westfield???
« Reply #242 on: June 12, 2011, 10:33:53 AM »
How much top end and acceleration have you lost with the areo ? Could it be a case the car can now take a it bit more grunt in the engine dept ?

Sounds like a really good progression though !

Shaun
1994 White FD with A-spec GT3574R - 358bhp at the hubs at 0.9bar :3gears-lh
2003 Mondeo 2lt 130ps Diesel Estate Daily :driving

Offline kiwimazda

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Rotary in a Westfield???
« Reply #243 on: June 12, 2011, 12:56:20 PM »
We could always do with more power.  I leveled out the rear wing to allow for drag on one of the earlier runs and went slower.
I think the issues are partly in my head in the fact that I can\'t be as fully commited in this car as i was in tje fb. I dont seem to have gelled with this car as much as i would have liked. Yes I am quick but not as quick as i want to be. Also my mind is now on rallies. Yesterdy wad £140 entry fee and we got 8 miles. Todays rally is £240 entry for 80 miles. I know where I would rather be and thats where my lhd fb comes in

Offline antnicuk

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://
Rotary in a Westfield???
« Reply #244 on: June 12, 2011, 07:00:38 PM »
Quote from: Steve-A;763780
I don\'t know much about the truck but I do know that the RWD 626, FB rx7, 5 speed mx5 and FC egi boxes are all effectively the same. They have different ratios in them and different housings on them but the layout is the same and the individual ratios and the housings are interchangeable.

The turbo II box is a new design all together.

I\'m just sure I\'d read somewhere that the gears themselves from the EGI box or mx5 box were stronger than the FB/626 boxes.

i think thats more like it ^^^ as the TII box is totally different to an FC EGI which is more like the FB.

Is the engine down on power Brian?  also, are you going fast enough to use all that aero?
400 BHP - 650 KG\'s = 616 BHP Per Ton of Rotary Power

That\'s the way to do it! :Thumbsup!

Offline re japi

• MRC Overseas Guest
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Rotary in a Westfield???
« Reply #245 on: June 13, 2011, 03:45:01 AM »
Congrats! :) Good to hear that everything went "ok". :) Thats rare in racing...

Hmm. Want to be faster? :) More practise. ;) or more agressive driving...
Power is nothing without control. Weight is enemy of performance, handling and braking.

http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/japi_laukkanen/library/Japi?sort=3&page=1

Offline kiwimazda

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Rotary in a Westfield???
« Reply #246 on: June 13, 2011, 06:28:00 AM »
Plenty fast enough for aero. The last corner on one of the runs is flat in 4th. I dont know how fast that was but I nearly had a wee.

As far as being more aggressive. I tried both and fastest is smoothest. With the FB I could really throw that around and it suited my driving style.

Its not that bad the result as after 8 miles I was only 1.6 secs down on 1st in class. I was up against a man a car that has 15 years experience in that car alone and has rear engine with 300bhp, massive torque curve( I saw the papers) flatshift sequential box, ohlins. You name it, its got it.
So to be that close is prettey good.
I am not making excuses. I did the best I could on the day with what I had.
And the best bit was the marshalls who came over at the end of the day and said thanks for the noise, It was the best sounding car out there.
One went to say that I couldnt be seen as I came out of the last chicane on the run to the finish. But they could hear the gates of hell open just befor I came into view. Love it.

Offline Competition PZ

• View Profile
Rotary in a Westfield???
« Reply #247 on: June 13, 2011, 10:56:25 AM »
Well done :)

Concur on the sound, Scottish Sprint/Hillclimb not the same since Ian (rotorheid) sold his winning RX-7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo626egvR04

Offline RotorHeid

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://
Rotary in a Westfield???
« Reply #248 on: June 13, 2011, 03:23:49 PM »
Quote from: Competition PZ;768639
Well done :)

Concur on the sound, Scottish Sprint/Hillclimb not the same since Ian (rotorheid) sold his winning RX-7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo626egvR04

Peter, kiwimazda\'s rotary\'s a bridgeport engine( more troque at mid rev) and it\'s sound lots sharper that a PP( mine\'s one was a PP engine;))
if you came into scottish scene about 15 yrs ago, mine was once a Bridgeport engine.. but you\'ve heard  it at the right time on august 2010\'s british championship sprint at Kames.
wonderfully sound.... god!,I\'m missing that car very much......happy days.. Brap brap brap!! and no turbo hits;)

Offline re japi

• MRC Overseas Guest
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Rotary in a Westfield???
« Reply #249 on: June 14, 2011, 03:23:10 AM »
LOL

Ya, i just love that sound too. :) Afterall, racing is a sport for spectators/viewers too. I dont want to see samekind of cars going in line around the track.

Anyways, good job Kiwi :)
Power is nothing without control. Weight is enemy of performance, handling and braking.

http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/japi_laukkanen/library/Japi?sort=3&page=1

Offline kiwimazda

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile