Author Topic: Intake temps  (Read 886 times)

Offline neil_jdmr

• Major Contributor
    • Northumberland
    • View Profile
    • http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a66/neil_jdmr/IMGP0420.jpg
Intake temps
« on: April 02, 2009, 10:06:54 PM »
Just been wondering about intake temps as was sat in heavy traffic for a while today and seen up to 60 degrees c. My car is pretty much stock bar pfc and bolt ons but my question is, are temps like this decreasing the life of my engine/seals etc. I know it kills the hoses etc over time but more interested in the wallet damaging stuff.

I do plan on a new intercooler at some point but with a baby on the way, now is not the time and the intercooler isnt going to help when your stuck in traffic anyway.
Standard sequential, standard engine, Oem body, 1.2bar, WI

Twins retired. KKK K27 1.25bar courtesy of Jason and Stu

Offline m1tch

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Intake temps
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 10:18:39 PM »
If the intake temp is higher then there is more change for detonation if you go onto boost, I know with my new intercooler on my FC it makes a difference as its much thicker, so isn\'t as prone to heat soak, check around at some options regarding uprated intercoolers, particually V mounts :)

Offline Jono FD3

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.d-signstudio.com
Intake temps
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 10:20:06 PM »
in short, yes.. the cooler you can get your intake temps the more go you will have & the better the engine will run ;)

Jono

Offline chrisJDM

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://
Intake temps
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 10:20:44 PM »
60 is fine i reckon ive had well over that when mine was on twins with no problems

AshRX

Intake temps
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 11:13:34 PM »
as above really. I have hit 60 in traffic with a V mount but once you get moving and dont come onto boost too hard while the temps are high you will be fine.

I know someone on here sat in traffic for ages then went racing off and the engine went pop.

If your worried fit water injection or get a bigger ic so the temps drop sooner

Offline Bobbit

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Intake temps
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 09:51:22 AM »
Congrats on the baby bud! If your sitting in traffic just put the air con on as it will switch the rad fan on at the same time, never waiti for it come on by itself, I always do and *touching wood* i\'ve never had any probs
:Laugh LOL

Offline memski

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Intake temps
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 10:55:49 AM »
Mine used to hit 70+ in very warm weather, no probs now with fmic. Charge temps are very low and rad temp much the same so far.

Offline neil_jdmr

• Major Contributor
    • Northumberland
    • View Profile
Intake temps
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 01:04:34 PM »
Quote from: Bobbit;595959
Congrats on the baby bud! If your sitting in traffic just put the air con on as it will switch the rad fan on at the same time, never waiti for it come on by itself, I always do and *touching wood* i\'ve never had any probs

Thanks mate, me and bec are over the moon:Party.

Aye i do switch the aircon on sometimes if its getting hot but as the airfilter is right above the rad fans most of the time it doesnt do anything.

Ill just stay off boost when its warm, as on the occasion i have "give it a little" it never seems to pull boost cleanly, like its blocking up or something. So ill not be doing that again.

Once moving my temps even on the stock intercooler drop very quickly and usually run around 30 or lower on a colder night only getting into the 40\'s with some major welly.

Still ill keep my eye out for a budget fmic as i dont plan on making the room for a vmount plus they cost a mint.

Offline Bobbit

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Intake temps
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 01:35:22 PM »
Well i\'m gonna try and get my xspower in a v-mount so if i manage it i\'ll be happy to help you out bud in setting yours up as one too, also i\'ve got a spare I/c that i was gonna use as a front mount if you dont want to go v-mount, your welcome to have a look at it and see what you think.
You going to the quayside over the weekend to watch the drifting bud?

Offline nikp

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Intake temps
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 03:05:42 PM »
Quote from: neil_jdmr;595991
Thanks mate, me and bec are over the moon:Party.

Ill just stay off boost when its warm, as on the occasion i have "give it a little" it never seems to pull boost cleanly, like its blocking up or something. So ill not be doing that again.

We\'ve just had our baby - she\'s just over a week old. We\'re stoked! But still getting used to the shell shock of severely reduced sleep! It\'s great though.

The standard ECU probably retards the ignition when temps get very high, and that\'d be what you are noticing.

Offline Bobbit

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Intake temps
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 03:13:34 PM »
Neils running a pfc mapped by pip so not sure if that map would retard ignition.

Congrats tho nikp on the new arrival.

Offline jackaleks

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Intake temps
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 04:26:15 PM »
this is a clever little mod for the fans so you don\'t have to switch the AC on when you want them;

http://www.fd3s.net/fan_mod.html

as for filters sucking in hot air, i don\'t really see the benefits of open filters when you have the stock radiator set up. it seems almost impossible to get cold fresh air to them without moving the rad around. i\'m planning on keeping the stock air box and just making a large dedicated air feed for it.

Offline nikp

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Intake temps
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 07:00:35 PM »
Quote from: Bobbit;596035
Neils running a pfc mapped by pip so not sure if that map would retard ignition.

Congrats tho nikp on the new arrival.

The PFC can do the same thing (It\'s a pretty sensible thing to do, so would assume that Pip would have done that. Think it might be part of the base map in fact) - that\'s why I presumed the standard ECU did the same thing.

Offline neil_jdmr

• Major Contributor
    • Northumberland
    • View Profile
Intake temps
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 08:01:43 PM »
Rob,
Aye ill deffo have an eyeball at the fmic as i do need one and you always seem to come up trumps :-) . Cannot make the drifting this weekend as at stinking work im only a mile up the river too and could hear it around 2pm today. Gutted.

Jakaleks,
Totally agree on the filters sucking in hot air but imo once the air has been through the turbo pack its pretty much roasting hot anyway. I never had the standard box as its was pods when i bought it but if i had i would have left it standard too.

Nikp,
When trying to boost when the car is very hot i also agree the pfc is retarding ignition to save the engine as it feels similar to when i was getting boost spikes on my stock ecu. Not gonna do that anymore though as knew it didnt feels very nice but it is good to know the safeguard function is there and working correctly.

Thanks for your help guys.

Ps, Rob, catch up over easter??? im off work from this tuesday

Offline Nik da Greek

• Banned user
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
Intake temps
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 08:21:22 PM »
On the topic of the pod filters sucking air directly from the radiator, that worried me, too. I made up a sorta replacement for the airbox out of ally sheet last year for mine, which is obviously hard to do all-encompassing, but easy enough to get the base and sides done, though with some big holes at the back where the airpipes run. Because alloy conducts heat a lot more efficiently than the stock black plastic of the airbox did, it\'s lined with heat proof Dei stuff you can just stick on to insulate the aluminium from heat soak from the radiator.

....looks nice, I thought, all held together with quick-release quarter turn Dzus fasteners so it all comes out in a minute flat for access to the rad, hoses, filter, etc :Thumbs-up.....

....made next to bugger all difference to intake temperatures that I was able to notice :mad:, but it looks nice.....

[ATTACH]43407[/ATTACH][ATTACH]43408[/ATTACH]