Sorry, I hadn\'t seen the post on here before, but it sounds like you\'re coming from roughly the same starting point I did, so hopefully the below is of some use.
As background, I already have a 3rd Gen, but decided I wanted a bit of a retro cool project to do everything myself, so bought a 1st gen Shell and an engine and gearbox from a turbo 2.
To get the engine to fit, you need to
- modify/make a new gearbox mount to line the holes up on the chassis.
- the 13bt engine has mounts on the side, but the 12a mounts on the front. Therefore the engine can be mounted by either swapping the front plate to the first gen 12a plate, or welding on blocks of aluminium to the 13bt front plate so you can drill and tap them. (I went down the front plate route - it looks better, but you will lose the Oil Metering pump so you will have to use premix).
- the sump and oil pickup will need to be changed to miss the crossmember (I bought mine from Pip, but I\'m guessing most people will be able to get their hands on this).
- you have the choice of using the normal engine mount and cutting the gearstick hole back, or replacing the mount to bring the engine and gearbox forward.
- The propshaft from the 13bt and the 1st gen will have to be merged.
- a new manifold can be bought from Aus for about £200 to mount the turbo so it clears the steering box (there are rumours you can rotate the manifold and it will fit once a couple of holes are drilled, but I didn\'t look at that).
- I\'m assuming a new fuelpump will be required to provide enough fuel to keep the bad boy running? (I really did get a basic chassis!!)
- then it\'s downpipe, wiring, intercooler, and job done...
My car is in the Readers Projects section of last months Practical Performance Car, and there\'s more details on Exile
and here\'s a couple of pics:
I have got slightly carried away now, with a T04s turbo, replacing all the suspension components, interior, will be buying a Microtech ECU, bosch coils, complete respray... But learning loads as I go.
There are loads on here that should be able to help, along with Exile (where they\'ve been putting rotaries into cars from a morris traveller to a chevette!!), and on Ausrotary (they do it as standard almost there, but search first - they can get quite grumpy answering the same question for the 5th time.... *grin*)
Please do ask if there\'s anything you think I can help with.