Author Topic: Mazdaspeed  (Read 966 times)

Offline iiyama

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://
Mazdaspeed
« on: March 22, 2004, 06:04:00 PM »
Anyone have any idea what the Mazdaspeed font is??

Ian

Offline johnf

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Mazdaspeed
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2004, 06:11:20 PM »
What site is it on?
I started with nothing and I have most of it left

Offline iiyama

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Mazdaspeed
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2004, 06:35:07 PM »

Offline Steve Burnett

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Mazdaspeed
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2004, 08:04:10 PM »
I have another answer.........................

Expensive & very nice!

Offline iiyama

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Mazdaspeed
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2004, 08:57:42 PM »
:rollin

Unfortunatly, although true, its of no help!!!!!!

Ian

Offline iiyama

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Mazdaspeed
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2004, 07:48:55 PM »
.......................and I still need to know the font!!! Anyone?????

Ian

MONSTER

Translation
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2004, 12:26:44 PM »
does anyone know if if possible to download any language pack that will enable me to read these japanese webpages fully i.e. translate the japanese to english.

At the mo. there are only a few words in english when I enter the site.:confused:
All the characters are displayed though.

Schtoo

Translation???
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2004, 04:54:47 PM »
So you want to translate Japanese into English using software on your computer? Guess what. I have an amazing bit of software in this computer that is capable of translating about 1.2 million words, Japanese and English Only.

Translating from English to Japanese is pretty good. Grammar is a little off, but still happliy readable and no real glaring errors. It will also take a English website and put it into Japanese, no sweat.

However, going from Japanese to English? Fuhgeddaboudit. Don\'t get me wrong, this is about the best translation software for the money (and better than more expensive stuff), but it\'s very VERY difficult to translate from Japanese into English. The way the two languages are written is quite different, and the words we English speaking folks have at our disposal is far broader than Japanese is, by about 10 to 1. There is also alot of inferred meaning in Japanese, so sentences are often incomplete, which is fine in Japanese, but a machine translation doesn\'t know how to fill in the missing words or intent, so it just leaves them out.

Also the fact that English and Japanese are largely non-related historically speaking, and you really have to work from a clean slate with minimal cross laguage/cultural reference. Unlike going from German to English or vice versa. Those languages are related, and the people who developed them were not so far removed, so a machine has an easier time of working it all out.

The good thing is most new Japanese words come from English. So many newer terms are easy to translate.

If you use bablefish, you can work out what stuff means, but it\'s never going to be the Queens (cough, spit, hack) English. A machine can\'t do it, a human can.

That\'s why babelfish makes for funny reading.

BTW, the software I have is Sharp kore ippon 2004. Cost about ¥7000 and it\'s pretty good within it\'s limits. But unusable if you can\'t read some Japanese.

And to translate a site, I have to copy and paste. It is, as &^$^%$^% always geared to the Japanese market with minimal facility for non Japanese folks. Honestly, if the language and related stuff were more inclined to swing both ways, I\'d have more interest learning the thing. I\'m also lazy...

How did you manage to make your puter read the Japanese stuff? Did you install the language pack at install, or is there some kind of logical reason why this works. I can\'t find out on this computer as it can display all Asian languages in any way they happen to be written, and I can also type in stuff in Japanese, along with reading program menus, etc. Takes a bit of fiddling to get that, and if you aren\'t living here there\'s no point to it.  It\'s not perfect though, it sometimes auotmatically makes the default menu language Japanese, and it\'s a major PITA to switch it to English. Even though it\'s set to use English as a default, it\'s too smart for it\'s own ^%$^%^ good half the time.

Short suggestion, use babelfish. It\'s as good as anything and it\'s free.

g11ary

Mazdaspeed
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2004, 06:20:35 PM »

MONSTER

Mazdaspeed
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2004, 06:29:52 PM »
Thanks Schtoo.

When I first attempted to enter the site I was promted to download/install (can\'t remember which) a package which enables the characters to be displayed.

Either way I just clicked on \'Yes\' or \'Install Now\' and it happened automatically.

Actually, now I think about it, I\'m sure it said something about installing data from Windows XP service Pack 1 - which I assume is probably a font pack - although I don\'t have this so it must have come from online somehere!!!:confused:

:)

Schtoo

Interesting...
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2004, 05:39:05 AM »
It\'s asked you to install a font pack online? Never heard of that before, then again all English based puters I know of here are able to use Asian languages, no real option over here. ;)

Yes, you would need service packs to make it all tick properly. When I got this thing online a month or so ago, did the service packs for everything, updated the virus and all the rest. Cleaned up everything so now it\'s nearly bombproof and no funny unreadable stuff.

The best advice I can give to anyone who is going to seriously frequent Japanese sites is to try and learn one of the three "alphabets" in use over here. There\'s Hiragana, which is used to write Japanese words and how to pronounce stuff. Kinda like our regular alphabet. Another is Kanji, which are the Chinese characters. The one to try and get a hold on is Katakana, which is squarer and used for loan words, which means it\'s used for stuff that was likely to be originally in English. Means you can take that word, and you can work out what it means in English most of the time. Sometimes it\'s impossible, but often you can work out what it is.

Not exactly fun, but doable. I gave my book to a friend in Australia along with some magazines and he got a handle on it. Said it made reading the books a much better experience because if the pic was not good, he could read a little of the text and work out what the heck was going on.

Would also work for websites too... ;)

Just an idea.

But as g11ary kindly put up, use babelfish. It works pretty well and it\'s free. Just don\'t expect it to be perfect!

I guess I should try it out and see how it comapres to my thing.