Author Topic: 2nd Generation RX7 or JZA70 Supra?  (Read 1126 times)

RX7 pooch

2nd Generation RX7 or JZA70 Supra?
« on: February 19, 2003, 07:47:25 AM »
I\'ve fully been getting into RX7\'s and how to modify them the last few weeks and have been aiming to buy and import from Japan before May.  

Then i got talking to a mate who\'s a pure genius when it comes to cars, and said that the RX7 (series 4 in Oz) is a good car for the money, but if the seals go I\'m looking at an instant $2500 AUD!!!.  Not a fan of that.  

I got told I could be better off buying a \'90 model Supra with the 1JZ 2.5L twin turbo motor in it, because "there is nothing like toyota reliability".  But from what I\'ve read on here it sounds like the RX7 is a top notch car and a strong motor.  

So.....RX7 or Supra??? RX7 makes you cream in ur pants, but I dunno..... could also buy something a different car, something newer with a new car warranty still on it (like a 2000 model),  but it would have a shitty SOHC 1.3L motor...

Anyone got any opinions on this???  Later people
« Last Edit: February 19, 2003, 07:49:59 AM by RX7 pooch »

Offline Glenn Butcher

• MRC
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mazdarotaryclub.com
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2003, 09:50:00 PM »
G\'Day mate,

Not sure if this is the right place to post a query about purchasing a piston engine over a rotary engine :)

The non turbo RX-7\'s are quite reliable, but won\'t be as powerful as the twin turbo Supra.

The RX-7 though is surprisingly quick around a track and they handle very well.

Obviously I would tell you to purchase an RX-7, but I\'m sure that others would tell you to purchase the Supra.

Why don\'t you take both types of cars for a drive, and then decide.

Are you looking at spending similar amounts? I would have thought you could purchase a Series 6/FD RX-7 for the price of a twin turbo Supra?
Thanks,

HPI_UK

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2003, 06:31:09 PM »
Hey,

The JZA70 is the classic supra upto 1993, not the Twin Turbo 1993 onwards.  2.5 litre single turbo i believe. Adam Wooton on http://www.mkivsupra.net/bbs has one he will tell you the pro\'s and cons on the side if the Supe.

Cheers

Adam.

Offline bnaellis

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2003, 07:02:28 PM »
That toyota supra in question is believe it or not more unreliable than a 2nd gen rx7. If you go for the supra you will have it in the garage far more than you would the rx.

rgds

Brian

HPI_UK

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2003, 07:57:58 PM »
Are you sure? pls do enlighten me as to why?

cheers
Ad.

Offline bnaellis

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2003, 10:11:41 PM »
Hi Adam,
basically that model supra was plagued with problems.
especially overheating, you would be lucky to get 50k on a engine without the head gasket going, they had electrical problems, and transmission problems. They were good when running well there was no doubt about that but were very costly to maintain as they spent a good amount of time in the garage.
The newer supras a literally bullet proof probably got the most reliable engine of all the jap sports cars, but the previous version was not so. Maybe try and find one that has had recent head gasket repplaced and with low miles.

rgds

Brian

HPI_UK

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2003, 12:26:16 AM »
Ouch sounds nasty! Glad i own a MKIV ;) but not for  long.  Kinda different story when i get my RX-7:(  Just have to change her oil every 3k.

RX7 pooch

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2003, 09:32:02 AM »
Thanks for your input guys.  When I talk about Series 4 here in Oz, it translates to you poms as a Gen. 2. :p

But other than that, I think I might go for the RX7.  I\'ve driven a few RX7\'s, but didnt feel really safe.  A few things that troubled me were:

*I thought that the turbo II had too much power for its weight, it felt really light and unpredictable when pulling high revs outta second.  

* Comfort wasn\'t too bad, felt quite nice actually, but boot mite be a bit small and the back seat is nearly non existant.  Need space for the full sick subbies!!  These are only small things but I\'m gunna take them all into account, I spose, every car has its faults.

A mate is buying one soon, so he can help me mod up my ride.  Hopefuly everything pans out hey!

Talk soon

Offline bnaellis

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2003, 10:38:58 AM »
I be honest I felt the same way when I had my second gen it fel so light I was to scared to really push it on bends and corners like how I heard it could be pushed. What sorted me out was going to france in it spend some time with friends who lived out there. The motorway in france are nice and big and relatively empty at the right time of day. Also the country roads are really good, this is where i really learnt to thrash my turboII. Alot the roundabouts over there were like the perimeter of trafalgar square. I got brave and was approaching them at 50 the flooring it, becuase i had so much room to recover if I lost it and there were not much cars on the road where my friends live. I was pleasantly suprised how well the car gripped and handled beyond it\'s grip. After I came back from france I was a new driver.
Haven\'t got to grips with my fd yet though, but i\'m taking it to France in May so suspect it will get the same treatment.

rgds

Brian