Author Topic: turbo to buy  (Read 562 times)

leigh1551

turbo to buy
« on: January 23, 2008, 09:10:42 AM »
Hi

I currently have a turbo 2 cab and am looking to upgrade the turbo and intercooler.  I want to push around 300bhp, any ideas of which turbo and intercooler to buy to increase my bhp?

Cheers

Leigh

Offline pdtaylor18

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
turbo to buy
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 04:46:14 PM »
Just in the process of doing this to my project car........not started this yet though.  This depends on how much you want to spend but stock cooler needs to go to get the temps down when pushing for the 300 mark, better fuelling and definately another ECU.  I am going for a Apexi but I do have a HKS and GCC thats my back up.  careful with just getting ECU\'s from japan as they are tuned for higher octane fuel.  I am looking to put the intercooler in front of the rad as the pipework will be so much easier, electric fan.
As far as turbos then you can get yours reconned and do some work on it by porting the wastegate etc but if you buy an aftermarket turbo then you have the choice of a drop in and play or go external wastegate but then this will put the price up as you will need to modify the exhaust to fit.  Which really is the next thing, you will need to ditch any remains of a standard exhaust and go for a 3" system.  
Total cost:
turbo and manifold £300
exhaust system £400
ECU £100-£500
Intercooler/pipes £200
Fuel pump £80

and thats just the basics as you will need a boost controller as well so aniother £100.  just make sure your engine is strong before you do anything otherwise spending up to £1000 on gaining 100 BHP will result in a £3000 rebuild.
As far as turbos then you can not go wrong with a to4e or something similar.  I got a cheap T4 one from Xspower that suppose to be mated for a rotary, the spec certainly makes sense so i will let you know how it gets on in a few months time.
1990 TII Cab JDM- Lambo Orange- HKS GT3037 turbo,Apexi PFC and datalogit,Greddy FMIC,Trust coilovers,18" Antera 10J 265 rears, 18" 8.5J 235 fronts

Paypal: pdtaylor18@hotmail.com
Email: pdtaylor18@hotmail.com

Pete[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

leigh1551

turbo to buy
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 08:11:59 AM »
Cheers for the info, the car has already had a straight through exhaust (3" pipe)from the engine fitted and had a engine rebuild 5k ago.  So I am sure the engine is capable of pushing the power.

Offline drutin

• Contributor
    • View Profile
turbo to buy
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 10:22:44 AM »
Quote from: leigh1551
Hi

I currently have a turbo 2 cab and am looking to upgrade the turbo and intercooler.  I want to push around 300bhp, any ideas of which turbo and intercooler to buy to increase my bhp?

Cheers

Leigh

howzit :)

another option is get a T04 compressor housing backing plate and wheel fitted to your S5 turbo, then you dont have to change anything on the exhaust side, maybe get the internal wastegate enlarged, get a bosch upgrade fuel pump and fuel regulator, modify your secondary fuel rail ie remove factory fuel pressure regulator, get a chipped factory e.c.u which will increase fuel and remove fuel cut but downside is most or all remove rev limiter  :( or you can get 12A turbo injectors and fit to secondary rail but you need voltage heat resistor thing as the 12A turbo injectors are only 5-6V that way you will have enough fuel for a good 1 bar, there are front mount intercoolers which arent too pricey, this will make a very fun car and not cost the earth :)

you will be suprised how much you can gain without wasting money, but if you want big horsepower later then i would go down the route of complete t04 turbo new manifold and wastegate etc
whatever spins your wheels:)

but if it aint a rotor it aint a motor :)

http://www.rotorworks.co.nz/ireland

Offline pdtaylor18

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
turbo to buy
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 05:28:17 PM »
If we run an uprated turbo and do all the mods then is there a rule on what size injectors to move up to ? Do they do 12A turbo injectors ?
1990 TII Cab JDM- Lambo Orange- HKS GT3037 turbo,Apexi PFC and datalogit,Greddy FMIC,Trust coilovers,18" Antera 10J 265 rears, 18" 8.5J 235 fronts

Paypal: pdtaylor18@hotmail.com
Email: pdtaylor18@hotmail.com

Pete[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline drutin

• Contributor
    • View Profile
turbo to buy
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 06:10:25 PM »
hello,

yes there is a calculator for injectors to horsepower, you only really want to go 80 percent duty cycle on your injector and dont have to high fuel pressure otherwise your spray pattern will turn into droplets and be worse off

do who do 12A turbo ?

later
glen
whatever spins your wheels:)

but if it aint a rotor it aint a motor :)

http://www.rotorworks.co.nz/ireland

Offline Prof

• Frustrated Inventor
  • MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Rotorhead
    • View Profile
turbo to buy
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 08:00:53 PM »
From reading many threads, and for ease of tuning, if you do change injector sizes or add additional injectors, it\'s best to keep the primaries as 550cc.  That way you only have to worry about tuning past 3800 rpm when the secondaries kick in.  Ideally you need some way of tuning injectors - so replacement ECU, piggy back or fuel computer in preferred order (based on how may factors are fed into the fuelling maps).

I went with a hybrid turbo - bigger front end and ported stock back end, which is good for well over a bar with correct fuelling / cooling - and you will have to do both !!

Stock intercooler loses it\'s way rapidly after about 10 psi (0.7 Bar).

The other thing to consider is that if your pushing a lot more air / fuel in then timing needs to be retarded as well, otherwise the engine may suffer.

There is no substitute for a lot of reading up - both on here and other rotary forums.
"Plus this engine is probably one of the most volumetric engines going! It passes more air than a herd of cows eating vindaloo\'s" - courtesy of AtomicRex