Author Topic: RX-8 vs RX-7  (Read 11797 times)

Fenix2k

RX-8 vs RX-7
« on: February 15, 2004, 11:30:41 AM »
Hey all,

Not sure if this has been posted already or if its in the right place but as someone who has to wait a while before buying his first rotary motor :( :(  was wandering if there was anyone who has either test driven or owns an RX8 that has also owned/driven an Rx7, which is the best model overall??

The 7 should be faster being turbocharged but does the handling balance of the 8 counter this?? Uber confusing!!!:confused:

GaryS

RX-8 vs RX-7
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2004, 06:06:29 PM »
You ought to watch Best Motoring International #8, where both (plus a MX-5) are taken down the Togue.

Dr Gonzo

RX-8 vs RX-7
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2004, 06:21:47 PM »
Well, I\'ve never driven an 8 but on paper the RX-7 looks the better car. The RX-8 seems very underpowered compared the 7 but Clarkson raved about it on Top Gear. Of course, you gotta love those rear doors of the 8 and the interior is terrific too - loads of gadgets to play with! But overall styling has to go to the 7 - it looks fast even at a standstill. And one of the best rear-ends in the motor-world! The 8 looks a little too much like the Mazda 6 for my liking. Whack a Veilside kit on it and then we\'re talkin\'... :D

Offline clive

• MRC Founder/President
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://mazdarotaryparts.com
Re: RX-8 vs RX-7
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2004, 08:11:36 PM »
Originally posted by Fenix2k
Hey all,

The 7 should be faster being turbocharged but does the handling balance of the 8 counter this?? Uber confusing!!!:confused:

Hello and a warm Welcome to from all the MRC team.

l know there are video clips of this out there but during development of the RX-8 Mazda put the last model RX-7 made [Oct 2002] up against the RX-8 around the track at Laguna Seca a Mazda owned track in California and your right they both produced identical lap times!

This is due to the fact that an RX-8 WILL out handle a third Gen RX-7 thus compensating for the power difference.

This has come about due to having to eliminate the \'B\' post the MAZDA engineers made the bodyshell so rigid to compensate that the happy trade off has been a phenomenally good handling car because if you are able to hang your suspension onto a stiff structure it will work PROPERLY.

Hope this helps.
All the best Clive

J4P RX

RX-8 vs RX-7
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2004, 08:17:46 PM »
Im still waiting to destroy an RX8 though.  Track, strip or street wherever it likes :bandit

They are aimed at different markets really.

Lee

Dr Gonzo

RX-8 vs RX-7
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2004, 09:31:37 PM »
Surely a 7 would outdrag an 8??! (thinking traffic light GP\'s here...)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2004, 09:34:11 PM by Dr Gonzo »

Fenix2k

RX-8 vs RX-7
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2004, 03:41:42 PM »
Cheers for the info.

Clive: how do you think this would compare in a fast road / everyday use situation?? as you dont drive around on-limit all the time (well almost!!) to exploit superior handling, logically this would make the 7 quite a faster road car??

tomrex

RX-8 vs RX-7
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2004, 05:48:01 PM »
lee i beat you to it!
The other day i was driving down the A13 in the inside lane when i see a blue skirted up rx8 coming down the outside lane, it had a private rx plate. being my sad self i got exicted that there was a fellow rotory on the same stretch of road as me so i put my arm out of the window and waved but this fella totally blanked me, i came out behind him and we were doing about 70 when i see the back of his car drop and peel off from me so into 3rd i went and by the time i got to about 95 i was ready to pass, he stayed in front of me till about 110 then he moved over and i cruised passed, he wouldn\'t even look! ha ha, long live the seven!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Offline scooby_si

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://
RX-8 vs RX-7
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2004, 07:27:09 PM »
that\'d be the A13 private test track lol
i got d!cked by one in me mondeo thou lol
Si

GaryS

Re: Re: RX-8 vs RX-7
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2004, 07:32:33 PM »
Originally posted by clive
Hello and a warm Welcome to from all the MRC team.

l know there are video clips of this out there but during development of the RX-8 Mazda put the last model RX-7 made [Oct 2002] up against the RX-8 around the track at Laguna Seca a Mazda owned track in California and your right they both produced identical lap times!

This is due to the fact that an RX-8 WILL out handle a third Gen RX-7 thus compensating for the power difference.

Sorry Clive, but this was Mazda propaganda.

Watch Best Motoring International #8 - the drivers have nothing to prove.  On teh track the RX-7 is comfortably quicker than teh RX-8.  On the Togue run (down hill street racing), the RX-7 was faster, BUT the RX-8 was far closer than they expected - all (in both tests) due to the softer suspencion setup on teh RX-8 and the fact they felt the RX-7 was too stiff for the bumps and dips of a road surface.

Dr Gonzo

RX-8 vs RX-7
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2004, 08:56:48 AM »
Yay to Tom! I\'m finding that all the 8\'s I\'ve seen are driven by people who seem a little ignorant to the rotary community and seem very puzzled when I flash them or wave.

As Lee said, they\'re aimed at different markets. :)

Offline Martiny

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://saturn.esnanet.com/martin/mandm.nsf
RX-8 vs RX-7
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2004, 10:51:52 AM »
Yep, there is a Red RX-8 one in Walton, seen it a few times,now. I have waved to it when driving the RX-2, and the RX-7, but she seems oblivious  :-(((

ScuttleRX

RX-8 vs RX-7
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2004, 03:42:38 PM »
Ive had the same thing happen, i sat on the inside lane waiting for this RX8 to pass to give him a wave but got totally blanked!
There should be some sort of rotary appreciation test before people are allowed to buy one :D

Dr Gonzo

RX-8 vs RX-7
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2004, 03:58:24 PM »
Originally posted by ScuttleRX
There should be some sort of rotary appreciation test before people are allowed to buy one :D

LMAO! :rollin

(PS. Lee - new avatar - nice! :D )
« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 05:01:28 PM by Dr Gonzo »

FDRZRich

RX-8 vs RX-7
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2004, 02:49:37 AM »
At least its not just me that gets blanked by all \'8 owners then!! Theres quite a few in Maidstone, not one of which will acknowledge the rotary love!! We\'ve got respect for them! Maybe its cos they don\'t even know their car is related?

I got blanked by a \'7 owner as well the other day, and he was next to me at a set of lights! Silver late (post 96) model with 18s. Git. Think someone should have a word!!!!