Author Topic: Sidedraft carb woes  (Read 1208 times)

Offline dubber91

• Banned user
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Sidedraft carb woes
« on: October 27, 2006, 08:50:16 AM »
Right i have a problem with my intended carb setup on a 13B. Basically I have the racing beat upper inlet manifold and dellorto 48 carb, but i do not have the 4 port lower.
I am struggling to find one (at the right price) but i have a few stock 6 port lowers that i could use.

Are these the same fitting, just with mismatched front and rear ports? In which case will the 4 port engine run for now on the lower 6 port manifold?

cheers for your help

Steve

mullins

Sidedraft carb woes
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 10:26:15 AM »
You should speak to Jon Newman when he gets back from New Zealand. He might have one he\'s prepared to sell?

Offline Ray

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.classicmazda.co.uk
Sidedraft carb woes
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 10:35:05 AM »
Quote from: dubber91

Are these the same fitting, just with mismatched front and rear ports? In which case will the 4 port engine run for now on the lower 6 port manifold?
Steve

Hi Steve,

The fittings are different on the end plates, so you would be relying on just the centre 2 bolts or studs. There is an adapter that dyson in Oz do which show it better,  see http://www.dysonrotary.com.au/Frame_Products.htm. This is really intended in the opposite direction i.e. old school carb onto newer block.

Ray

Offline dubber91

• Banned user
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Sidedraft carb woes
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 06:57:40 PM »
cheers guys....

how about this?

http://www.rotaryaviation.com/manifold_mod.htm

what would you use to fill?

Steve

Offline dubber91

• Banned user
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Sidedraft carb woes
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 08:36:54 PM »
the other problem with tht dyson rotary adapter is that its converting from early 4 port (rx4 rx7 NA) engines to the later 6 ports.......I am using the turbo II irons, so surely i need a turbo 2 to 6 port adapter. Looking at pictures the stud mounting patterns look the same.......

Steve

travellinbob

Sidedraft carb woes
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 10:28:45 AM »
It might just be with that adapter from dysons that the ports are a diferent size/shape. Perhaps nothing that couldnt be fixed with a die grinder?
 I know that this is off the track a bit but my best mate in oz has a 13b six port manifold for twin down draft carbs. Only thing is I dont know if it would fit in your engine bay?
 Put a wanted add up on ausrotary and just ring around the vendors. Try Carl Hayward and Tim @ rx motors.

Offline dubber91

• Banned user
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Sidedraft carb woes
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 10:34:13 AM »
did you read The rotary aviation article? surely thats the easiest? i have a 6 port american manifold too.....
I think the twin carb idea might come at a later date..... unless its super cheap!

Steve

Offline dubber91

• Banned user
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Sidedraft carb woes
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 11:24:17 PM »
help guys! do you reckon the rotary aviation mod to a 6 port is up to the task? or just a bodge?

help!

Offline kiwimazda

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Sidedraft carb woes
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 10:19:02 PM »
I spoke t jonothan tonight. He is enjoying himself. Probably drinking quality NZ larger at rock bottom prices. He is back on Friday week I think

oldone

Sidedraft carb woes
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 11:06:33 PM »
check out the 13b n\\a thread to see carby :Typing