Author Topic: New Cosmo, a few questions  (Read 2073 times)

Offline Ultraman_Cosmo

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/djphilmanns
New Cosmo, a few questions
« on: October 10, 2006, 08:21:31 PM »
Dear fellow cozzie owners, I now have my 20B cozzie, collected from Ireland this weekend and have a few questions :) This being the third Cosmo I have owned I have come to the conclusion that they all (from my experience)
1. Have warped disc brakes
2. Have suspension creaks and knocks
3. Have a rattling / vibration coming from the gear selector area under acceleration.
and 4. Have all the leather flaking off the steering wheel

So, on point 1 i\'d assume my best initial option is to have the discs skimmed and get new pads? anyone have a source for pads and Kev, have you carried out your FD brakes conversion yet?

On point 2 does anyone have any pointers as to which are the most problematic areas of the suspension and where I should look for the cause of the noises. I know the guy that had C11SMO mentioned he\'d replaced a lot of suspension parts on his.

Point 3, anyone else noticed this and found a cure?

Point 4, I guess I could get the wheel retrimmed (don\'t really wanna go non standard) the 13b cozzie needs it doing too so might get a discount! Or of course the unlikely chance of finding a good s/h one.

I also have an ABS problem, the ABS doesn\'t work and the ABS light is on almost permanently. Even when it goes out the ABS still doesn\'t work. Also when you brake, the Brake warning light flashes on. The brake fluid is not low. I no nothing about ABS so wouldn\'t know where to start! Are there some sensors that could be at fault or something?

Any info appreciated :)
Thanks,
Phil.
Cosmo 110S,  RX4 Coupe, RX7, RX8, JC Cosmo 20B, NSU Ro80\'s etc......

Offline kev-yorks

• Chairman / MRC Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 08:48:46 PM »
Right Phill a bit of a list to work at here new pads arn\'t a problem black diamond do both fronts and rears Clive has an account with them and knows the part numbers, theres plenty of meat on the front disc\'s so skimming works well. As for new disc\'s i imported a set of standard disc\'s into the uk which black diamond drilled and grooved for me to my spec\'s. Not sure on this but i suspect they will of measured them up for a sample so they may well be able to do the disc\'s as well. If not and they are willing to make some up i can get one of my disc\'s back to them for copying. Have a word with Clive once again he\'s got my number if he wants a sample for them. I\'ve not bothered or going to bother with the conversion as the brakes are now transformed. The brakes had a right hammering at the weekend repeatedly braking from 120mph at the end of the quarter mile and gave no problems what so ever
Suspension joints are on steel spherical bearings so you do get a certain amount of play and noise as standard (search on ausrotary they are trying to get some aftermarket ones made at the moment)
The linkage has a number of clevis pins on the joints you\'ll probably find one of these is worn if you get stuck i\'ve a full linkage someware may take some finding though. Do your self a favour and change the gearbox oil asap as its a big factor in how long the boxes last.
The ABS do a ecu reset its the same procedure as for a FD. If that doesn\'t cure it a multimeter check on the wheel speed sensors will probably show up the fault.
Point 5 not a bloody clue mines okay so i never had this problem.
Finally number 6 enjoy it and the looks you\'ll get when you breeze past those big power motors.
Any think else don\'t hesitate to drop me a line.
No doubt Dave morris will no doubt be on in good time to give you a more detailed account of the abs system. Any sugestions he gives you listen to as he probably knows more about these cars than anyone else.
Regards Kevin
Regards Kevin

Offline Ultraman_Cosmo

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 10:58:51 PM »
Hi Kev, thanks for such a quick and informative response :) I\'d rather not have to modify the front brakes so the set-up you describe sounds good enough for me. Funds aren\'t good at the moment so I think I\'ll just get mine skimmed and go for a set of black diamond pads. What were their machining costs for your discs?

Thanks for the suspension pointers, i\'ll check these areas out and see what I find and also look forward to the ausrotary mods.

The gearbox noise does sound like it\'s coming from the area around the selector rather than right down in the box but I shall change the oil anyway. The 20B I had previously was sold to Austria and the gearbox failed for the new owners on their drive home :( so I know they\'re prone to problems.

Do you know what the ecu reset involves? I left it overnight with the battery disconnected but this didn\'t make any difference. My brother told me that the wheel sensors being covered in rust or crap can cause this problem so i\'ll check that too.

And yes, on your last point the power is rather nice isn\'t it! I feel there\'s more to come as it went a bit fluffy and didn\'t want to rev cleanly a few times on the drive back but I was amazed how when flooring it at high speed it just gets up and goes. I was very pleased to get 400kmh to the tank too which is much better than the 13B has been getting.

In the future I\'ll be looking at some mods, nothing too wild as don\'t want to spoil the fuel consumption too much but helping it breathe in and out better I\'m sure will improve performance.

Thanks again, Phil.

Offline kev-yorks

• Chairman / MRC Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 12:04:07 AM »
Wheel speed sensors Phill unplug them and check the resistance with a ohm meter not sure on Mazda ones but commercial sensors which are virtually the same we look for between 900 and 1200 ohms resistance, but just compare all four readings if ones way out then you\'ve found your problem. I think for the reset you disconnect battery for 30secs plus a brake pedal press. Not 100% sure as my ABS went in the bin as it was a choice of the big abs pump or the new down pipe I\'ve got ready for bolting on (definitely going to do it this winter).
Kevin
Regards Kevin

cosmatt

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 07:53:46 AM »
Hi Phil

Good to hear you have got your 20B now.

When I first got my 20B I took it to RoTechniks and they said it had slightly distorted brake discs and suggested skimmimng them. Personally I have never noticed it but may consider it if the problems get worse.

I have a slight clonk from the n/s rear suspension when going over large bumps in the road. Again RoTechniks advised that both the rear bushes on the hub axle assemblies were worn. These bushes are available from Japan but are very expensive.

My 20B has an aftermarket \'Nardi\' steering wheel fitted which looks slightly odd with the rest of the dashboard but I assume was changed at some stage as the original was wearing out.

I\'ve only had the ABS warning light flicker on once so not really sure what this means.

Love to see some pics of your new cossie!

Matt

CJay

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 01:30:04 PM »
Sorry to hijack your post Phil but whereabouts did you pick up the Cosmo, Dublin \\ Bray perhaps? Just curious because I didn\'t spot if for sale over here ;)

CJ

Offline Ultraman_Cosmo

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2006, 11:16:03 AM »
yes, it came from Bray. I bought it from eddy doyle :)

a few pics here matt

CJay

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2006, 11:23:53 AM »
Quote from: Ultraman_Cosmo
yes, it came from Bray. I bought it from eddy doyle :)

I thought as much - nice machine, I was up with Eddy earlier in the year when I first spotted it. The Cosmo is a very rare sight around these parts, I would suspect you\'ve probably exported one of the few remaining Irish registered Cosmos! ;)

CJ

Offline strange_days_uk

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.threeworldwars.com
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2006, 11:51:53 AM »
look forward to seeing you around in Coulsdon Phil, I am in chipstead.

Drive a silver FD (well once the single tub goes in)

Nice Cosmo, they are really starting to grow on me

Simon Hellis
\'93 FD

13b modded and built by knightsports, rebuilt by Chris, MP T70 mapped by Carl.
450 bhp @ 0.8 Bar
HUGE GRIN @ 1.15 Bar !!

oh sh1t - blew it up :(

Yet to be converted to olds kool by the oldone
[/B]

My Trading Feedback

cosmatt

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2006, 02:31:18 PM »
Nice looking car Phil

I always think they look better without the rear spoiler!

I\'ve never seen those wind deflectors over the side windows before - do they have any effect?

Matt

DMRH

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2006, 07:32:06 AM »
G\'day from DMRH

Apologies for the delay in replying to this but family life has been hectic.

In reply to your questions.........

1. Very common for the discs to warp. get all 4 disc\'s machined & new pads if possible as well. This will give you a bit of time before it re-occurs depending on how hard you are on the brakes. Its simply the cheap-as brakes mixed to a heavy car that causes this.

2. Rear bushes are common failures on the 20B version thanks to the huge torque output. You can by new from Mazda but the price for the bushes are cray. If I pull my slack finger from my slack arse, I will get this sorted with aftermarket Nolathane bushes.

3. The bushes on the selector under the transmission tunnel always wear, get new ones, a HD-929 should have the same bushes. Or. it could be the rear gearbox mount but that usually goes BUMP BUMP BUMP into the tranny tunnel on decel.

4. http://www.leatherique.com.au Check them out. Another Cosmo guy performed a minor miricale rejuvenating his Type-E.CCS interior with that stuff & it looks 1000 times better than when he started. He paid $100+ for the kit & presto.....

ABS...... Its a "Black art" this subject. Its common on the Cosmo for the accumulator to lose pressure. The pressure sensor must pick this up & the ABS CPU picks this up & turns off ABS operation. If its not that, then try what Kev suggests although that one is a less common issue.

REgards

Quote from: Ultraman_Cosmo
Dear fellow cozzie owners, I now have my 20B cozzie, collected from Ireland this weekend and have a few questions :) This being the third Cosmo I have owned I have come to the conclusion that they all (from my experience)
1. Have warped disc brakes
2. Have suspension creaks and knocks
3. Have a rattling / vibration coming from the gear selector area under acceleration.
and 4. Have all the leather flaking off the steering wheel

So, on point 1 i\'d assume my best initial option is to have the discs skimmed and get new pads? anyone have a source for pads and Kev, have you carried out your FD brakes conversion yet?

On point 2 does anyone have any pointers as to which are the most problematic areas of the suspension and where I should look for the cause of the noises. I know the guy that had C11SMO mentioned he\'d replaced a lot of suspension parts on his.

Point 3, anyone else noticed this and found a cure?

Point 4, I guess I could get the wheel retrimmed (don\'t really wanna go non standard) the 13b cozzie needs it doing too so might get a discount! Or of course the unlikely chance of finding a good s/h one.

I also have an ABS problem, the ABS doesn\'t work and the ABS light is on almost permanently. Even when it goes out the ABS still doesn\'t work. Also when you brake, the Brake warning light flashes on. The brake fluid is not low. I no nothing about ABS so wouldn\'t know where to start! Are there some sensors that could be at fault or something?

Any info appreciated :)
Thanks,
Phil.