Author Topic: The Poor Mans Non-Sequential Setup  (Read 19041 times)

Offline Looney

• View Profile
The Poor Mans Non-Sequential Setup
« Reply #90 on: July 15, 2009, 01:35:11 PM »
lol. Ok I found out why it wasn\'t producing full boost. A bit embarrasing really, I had checked the link positioning of the wastegate/actuator, and it always seemed to return to closed. I decided to spray the actuator with plenty of WD40, but not too much to cause a fire, and hey presto! It works!

So for anyone else thinking of doing the conversion due to problems, make sure the wastegate and actuator is not sticking like it had been doing on mine first! All happy now, although I think I may be best getting a boost control put on, as the factory set up is ok but not 100% perfect for the non-sequential.

I have found through lots of study the factory boost set up works like this:

Actuator works on a pressure system, more pressure in the actuator means more open the wastegate is. Less pressure keeps it more closed. The ECU has a preset map, where the wastegate solonoid pulses open to allow pressure to drop in the w/g actuator to keep the boost pressure up, and opens it up depending where in the rev range you are at.

The two solonoids bolted to the front of the UIM are the same, as well as the purge solonoid, thats bolted on its own behind the alternator near the nest.

I do kinda miss the low down boost, but then I now have more normal car drivablilty around town, yet still have the fun driving out of town! Trust me its made a nice difference around town as before I could barely press the throttle to pull out of junctions with out lighting up the rears or drifting out. lol.

Offline SmbFD3S

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 15, 2009, 01:41:19 PM »
I did tell you it was wastegate related lol :D

Quote from: Looney;626563

I do kinda miss the low down boost, but then I now have more normal car drivablilty around town, yet still have the fun driving out of town! Trust me its made a nice difference around town as before I could barely press the throttle to pull out of junctions with out lighting up the rears or drifting out. lol.

Thats cos you\'re stamping on the loud pedal too much Mr Loon lol
\'92 UK RX7 FD
\'97 Kwak ZX6R currently at Stage 3
\'86 Honda CRM250R stroker
\'11 BMW 320d ED

Offline Looney

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 15, 2009, 01:43:16 PM »
This is what I based my non-sequential conversion on:

Taken from this page: http://www.fd3s.net/non-sequential.html

You can convert to non-seq without taking the turbo off by simply disconnecting 95% of the control system and wiring the precontrol stuff fully open or closed (ie. deactivate everything but primary wastegate.
This gives you 95% of the non-seq total mod but still let you go back to seq with no sweat. Lets you get a feel for how it works and responds and if you do not like it you can go back to stock. main advantange for most of us of non-seq is simple operation and reliability - plus drasticly reduced cracking of the exhaust side turbo houseing due to constant heat cycling of of seq control. Turbo control becomes 1000% simpler to troubleshoot to the level that even I, after lots of study etc can do it myself. There are only a few shop in the us that really understand the seq system and can keep it working right. If you do not live near one of them then you have some tough choices to make. If your seq system is working OK now, leave it alone till you have trouble.

My conversion has elimnated all the rats nest completely. I am not using any of the solonoids, bar one to aid with wastegate control. Fuel pressure regulator is plugged into the UIM with a clamp to ensure it does not slide off. I still have one emissions pipe connected which is part of the blue coloured pipes on the diagrams floating around the net that connects to the front air inlet behind the filter.

So far so good!

Offline Looney

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 15, 2009, 01:44:32 PM »
Quote from: SmbFD3S;626566
I did tell you it was wastegate related lol :D

Thats cos you\'re stamping on the loud pedal too much Mr Loon lol

lol If I measured the amount of throttle I was using when I first had the car on the road, it would be 0-4mm at best to pull off nicely!! lol Mind you I need new tyres! lol

Offline Bobbit

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 01, 2009, 06:03:23 PM »
OK so i\'m tempted to try this out, seems fairly straight forward to me, is there anything to look out for/tricky with this?
:Laugh LOL

Offline Looney

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 10, 2009, 12:51:46 PM »
Nothing really to look out for. Just try and not bodge the vaccum pipes like I have. lol. Mind my bodge on them is only temp untill I can get round to ordering some decent hoses to replace it all with. Also looking at having a mechanical boost valve so I can make the factory boost control redundant. Nothing wrong with the factory, but its a set map, so still dips in around 4500rpm.

Recommend you use an old wire clothes hanger to wire open the secondary turbo control flap, and also the pre control flap next to it (both under the car), as it looks better and is sturdier.

Offline g20wel

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 31, 2009, 05:40:32 PM »
i done this to my car today i ran it  and i have to say i hated it going back to sequential tomorrow

Offline g20wel

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 01, 2009, 10:08:33 AM »
removed due to double post
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 10:09:37 AM by g20wel »

Dansrx7

« Reply #98 on: April 09, 2010, 03:32:28 PM »
Have just finished doing this conversion and have to say it\'s works very well I had a really bad boost problem after doing this have really good boost now

Offline Pantera Chris

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 30, 2010, 06:57:37 PM »
Very interesting debate. Coming from a 300bhp ball bearing turbo\'ed 200sx to a FD3s, personally I couldn\'t believe how much of a kick in the back you got off the line and between gears. The 200sx is faster when it gets going (full boost by about 3.5k) but the responsiveness of the FD lower down the rev range can not be matched. Ill definitely be staying sequential so I get the best of both worlds. Like people have said, unless you\'re on a track, you cant use the full power on most British roads as its too busy so I don\'t see the point. My 200sx only ever sees full boost for a split second then im braking again unless its on a track or its Christmas day morning!!!

Offline cr33ch

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 07, 2010, 10:45:02 PM »
i can see this setup being perfect for drifters though. im a new FD owner (coming from a BDC ready drift 200sx) i think this setup will be great for me but i do see the other side of the argument

Offline leefitz

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 02, 2010, 09:21:10 PM »
hey,   im sorta in a panic here.  i completed the setup showen here but since iv done it all i now have no boost at all and teh oil pressure never moves above normal. i have looked at all the joints 3 times over but still cant see any leaks.  where else could i look for this or what have i done wrong maybe? is there any pipes that should be left open to atmospher or should everything be pluged?? the cars due out to a drift on sunday so really need her to get going   any help would be great,  cheers
Japan Life = Better Life

Offline leefitz

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 03, 2010, 12:55:27 AM »
sorry, being thick. didnt remove the vacume hose from the lower inlet manifold to the charge controle valve.
Japan Life = Better Life

Offline a.tapos

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.amt-fordmazda.co.uk
« Reply #103 on: October 27, 2010, 10:33:17 AM »
I prefer the feel of a tuned twin but for reliability and simplicity if you plan on blowing it up alot the full non sequential has alot less to go wrong or break
so its gonig to be whether you like meat well done or raw for most people
Just personal preference.
red 93 t88 half bridge fd project,black 1993 fd
a.m.t@hotmail.co.uk