Author Topic: tuning  (Read 692 times)

Matt

tuning
« on: October 31, 2003, 10:37:06 AM »
Thor racing have said they might be able to map my fcon as long as they can get the software. Has anyone used them before?

Also can u get a controller thing for the fcon like the fc commander

cheers

Offline Fish

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
tuning
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2003, 11:05:48 PM »
MATT, SORRY TO SOUND LIKE A BROKEN RECORD, BUT ABBEY HAVE BEEN MAPPING THE F-CON FOR A FAIR WHILE. OK not on rotary\'s, but they have had a couple there!

Spend your money with the people that KNOW the product! Not saying that Thor dont know the product, but all I have ever seen about Thor is their dyno!

Dan

Offline 20B_boy

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.reworx.com
tuning
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2003, 12:34:10 AM »
So why did they originally tell Matt that they couldnt/wouldnt do it?

I know they thought Phil\'s car was cool, but does that mean you\'d let them map your car?

Puzzling...
R.

Matt

tuning
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2003, 04:07:23 PM »
yeah but the difference is like 400-500 quid, plus i rung abby on 2 different occasions and they said they couldnt do it, they when i emailed them they said they could, weird.

plus, they said i need a boss which is £80, and thor said i dont need one and if i did there only £20

Offline Fish

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
tuning
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2003, 08:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by 20B_boy
So why did they originally tell Matt that they couldnt/wouldnt do it?

I know they thought Phil\'s car was cool, but does that mean you\'d let them map your car?

Puzzling...

I might be getting myself in trouble for this, but it needs to be said.

Matt thinks that 400-500 quid mapping is expensive. Sorry but this is still cheaper than a fair few other places I could name. Ok spend out the money and get the PFC, you MAY get a couple of mapping sessions in that price, but make sure that they use a wide band when mapping.

You already own what the Jap guys rate as a good ECU. Spend that money which you were going to spend and take it to someone prepared to map it. Speak to HKS Europe directly and get the name of an authorised company from them.

Yes I agree that it is weird that on one hand they say they cant, but on the other they say they can. Better off popping by and having a proper word with them fact to face. MAkes all the difference.

Dan

Matt

tuning
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2003, 03:52:22 PM »
yeah i would like to keep as ive heard its very good.

thor have now said it will be about £500, but a full engine map from scratch will take 2 days.

they also said this

Ah...

If it\'s basically running O.K. but lean it might be we can measure the
fuel pressure and the air fuel ratio on the dyno and then increase the
rail pressure (say if you have an FSE valve)
So probably a couple of hours on the dyno at £70/hr+VAT.

its getting kinda of confusing and a bit annoying as every place says something different, all i want is my car to run boost safley.

Cheers

bill shurvinton

tuning
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2003, 04:36:37 PM »
T\'would appear that there are a couple of different things being discussed in terms of mapping, which is where the can/can\'t comes in.

If you are starting with a running car which is just not quite right, then a couple of hours on the dyno should have it right.

If you are starting with an unknown engine and doing a complete remap then it can be a day or so\'s work.

Then you have the question of getting the optimal map with all the warm up and drivability sorted. Forget about even trying to do that on a rolling road. You can only get it right by driving around and tweaking until you get what you want

Matt

tuning
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2003, 04:45:23 PM »
oh right, well ive had it on the rolling road before and they said its just running lean, so i dont think it need a complete remap, the fcon is on ly a piggy back for fuel and boost

Offline bin liner

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://
tuning
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2003, 10:08:27 PM »
Thor are in need of the work.They\'re not going to turn you away but as for whether they can pull out the goods then that is another story.
Definately want it mate but the dog has just died so will be getting the missus a new dog for christmas....
Sounds like a good deal but will have to ask the dragon first.....  :flamed  :spank