Author Topic: Please post pics: 18"s on standard springs (fd\'s)  (Read 1080 times)

toon19974

Please post pics: 18"s on standard springs (fd\'s)
« on: April 19, 2006, 04:16:06 PM »
hi everyone at the moment my fd is on 17"s but lowered springs but is too low, cant even get off the drive so i\'m thinking of going back to standard springs and put my new 18"s on to give my front end a bit more clearance. so could anyone who has 18"s on standard springs please post pics to give me some idea of what kind of clearance i\'ll have front end and arche\'s. cheers

Offline Bobfish

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 03:10:50 AM »
why certainly:

Offline Bobfish

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 03:11:52 AM »
by the way, are the just lowering springs or springs and shocks? if springs and shocks i might buy em.

toon19974

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 01:00:00 PM »
just springs m8. i have an aftermarket bumper but by the look of bobfish\'s pics it looks like it should raise it about an extra 1"-1.5". does anyone who is on standard springs & 18"s have any probs with there front bumper scraping, eg speedhumps or raised driveways?

Offline Ada7

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 01:04:16 PM »
Couple of pictures of mine :)

Adam
I AM HERCULESIAN
Rex II - The Bridgeport years http://mazdarotaryclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=82902.0

Offline Bobfish

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 03:31:17 PM »
toon, my car doesnt scrape on anything ever.

Offline dandan

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://aimlessdandan.blogspot.com
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 04:44:52 PM »
i have 19\'s on at the moment and when i got it home i took it over the speedbump outside my house without any problems at all, its quite a vicious bump and the car has low after market bumper. But then 19\'s would make things a little higher wouldnt it...

there it is anyway

shafster

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 08:30:43 PM »
my old 18\'s

new 18\'s

Offline skybusr34

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2006, 09:37:41 PM »
my rex. on 18`s when i brought it
if i had 8 hour to cut down a tree. i`d spend 6 sharpening the axe

Offline scooby_si

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2006, 10:03:01 PM »
mine on 18"s not standard suspension but tein HA\'s wound all the way up so cant be that far off standard if not a bit higher...:

Si

toon19974

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2006, 10:19:03 PM »
si & shaftster di either of you 2 have any probs with your front bumper catchin on anything or was the clearance at the front ok as thats what i\'m after at the moment. mine has lowering springs & 17"s and a feed type2 bumper, the ride is rock solid and i struggle to get it over the pavement onto my drive without catchin because it\'s that low at the moment. i\'ve got some brand new 18" axis wheels to go on and thought if i went back to standard springs this should sort out it being so low and catchin on everthing.

Offline scooby_si

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2006, 07:22:29 AM »
in a word yes, i try to avoid nasty looking speed humps & it does occasionally just lightly catch on the drive when coming out the garage hence why i wetnt with suspension wound all the way up. Was really bad on the old & low suspension i had on remember the first night i drove the car back at night having driven 3 hours from kent to get stuck on the little gate post in the middle of the drive, was less funny as it\'s between 2 houses & i had to climb out the boot to see what it had caught on (1 hacksaw later it didnt catch anymore ;) lol)

Anyway generally why would you have more probs with 18\'s if anything the overall diameter of the wheels should be slightly larger than 17s & thus be higher & catch less than 17s? Not much if you\'ve got the proper low profile tyres but still????
Si

Offline scooby_si

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2006, 07:31:49 AM »
(si realises you already said/knew that & gets coat....lol) but yes sure standard springs would help no end & probably be a lot more comfortable than a lot of the harsher lower suspension set ups especially on low profile 18s. I recall Clive saying tein flex etc were better still as i know the HA\'s are a bit on the rock solid side even on soft setting, anyway gob shyte mode off.......
Si

toon19974

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2006, 09:25:28 AM »
cheers si, it\'s gotta make the ride and height better anwyay. cheers for the info and pics guys!!!!

shafster

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2006, 10:55:22 AM »
no probs clearing anything here which really suprised me. but i guess because it hasnt been lowered, this obviously helps.