Author Topic: Ordered RX-8 without test drive!  (Read 4096 times)

ivanmcp

Ordered RX-8 without test drive!
« on: September 01, 2005, 07:48:11 PM »
I ordered RX-8 last saturday - and did not even test drive it!?! I just love the look of this car, and also want to have some fun, having never owned proper sports car before. I figured with so many awards and great feedback - who am I to dissagree. It would have taken dealer some time to sort test drive for me, so I just placed an order instead.

It is \'weaker\' model, platinum, with black and tan leather seats. I got great deal on it, so I can\'t complain.  And it will arrive at the dealer early next week - great. I am making jump from Alfa Romeo 156 (1.8), which handles really well but is fairly weak in accelaration dapartment. I need some zoom vava zoom.

Pictures to come :) .
« Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 11:20:28 PM by ivanmcp »

Offline robedwards99

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.djcc.co.nr
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 08:22:21 PM »
I am sure you will enjoy it. Keep us posted :)

RX7... The Deep Pocket Rocket...

Offline Spectre26

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.very-sianz.blogspot.com
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2005, 12:52:01 AM »
Congrats on your buy. Hope it holds up to all your expectations on it. Just bear in mind its not as fast as quite a few people precieve it to be. Might have a tough time beating the higher spec Evos and WRX\'s out there. But cant fault the 8 when it comes to handling :) Thou by the sounds of it you are going for the good looks of the RX8. If thats the case then dont think u can go far wrong with this sexy beast. Let us know how you like your 1st drive, i say like cos i\'m pretty sure you will.
Majority rule don\'t work in mental institutions.
http://www.very-sianz.blogspot.com/

ivanmcp

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2005, 07:47:26 PM »
Hehe, I am not in it for racing. Just nice, comfortable, pokey, reliable car that can give me a smile and make me feel good going to work every morning - the long way (fuel price permiting!).

I hear if you buy RX-8 in the UK, you get to take it to a track for a day and get instructions/demo on what this thing can do. Is this true? I will ask sales person on monday, but I wonder if anyone had experience of this.

webrx8

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2005, 08:36:52 PM »
Yes you are quite right, but you only get the Prodrive day if you buy one new, It\'s a great experience and it really opens your eyes as to what this car is capable of. I was very, very impressed to say the least.

Chris.

ivanmcp

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2005, 08:41:53 PM »
Great, I am buying brand new one. Can you tell me more about Prodrive day?

Thanks,

Ivan

webrx8

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2005, 09:26:23 PM »
It consists of several elements. A public road section where you take your car out onto the roads of warwickshire accompanied by an advanced driving instructor and he tells you all about hazard perception and all the other stuff associated with advanced driving. I found this part a little boring. Then back at the track you do the emergency brake test where you take the car up to about 90 mph and the instructor tells you to brake as hard as you can. This is to show you how good the brakes are. Then you do it again but this time you head straight for a cone and have to steer around it. Then you do the straight line stop again but this time take your hands off of the steering wheel. This demonstrates the emergency brake assist, basically the car stays in a perfect straight line, you can actually see the steering wheel correct itself to keep the car straight.

Then you will have a go on the skid pan, first with DSC and TC on, then with DSC off and finally with no driver aids. This part is really fun. The instructor tries to get you to go sideways one way and then the other zig zagging along the skid pan.

Then its on to the adverse handling track which is a short track with lots of tight turns and chicanes, Its all second and third gear stuff, Again very enjoyable. Finally you then take the car onto the fast track where you will get up to about 100 mph.

I thoroughly enjoyed the day it gives you a lot of confidence in the car as by the time you are done you know what the cars limits are. I gaurentee that after you have done it you will be on this forum posting about how amazing this car really is.

Cheers, Chris.

Offline RobbieRX-7

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2005, 09:46:37 PM »
just thought id slip this joke in muuhahahahaha  this will be you on the way to work :yes

congrats on the rx8 by the way! it has won loads of awards and even beat the nissan 350z to car of the year..also jeremy clarkson loves it!

EZZY

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2005, 05:18:58 PM »
nothing wrong with that, i did exactly the same.
congrates on the new car :guinness

ivanmcp

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2005, 09:47:29 PM »
Thanks all. Time flies? Year right. Here are some images of the same looking one as I ordered, with what I believe is new trim colour scheme. Images are taken by my mobile phone camera, and through the glass @ Milcars Mazda in Watford.

Offline RX-8888

• MRC Overseas Guest
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2005, 01:07:37 AM »
You will have fun, its a superb sports car for the price!
In Australia the RX-8 won Wheels Car of the year in its first year!, Australia\'s most read Auto Magazine.
2009 Series II RX-8 Luxury version of R3.
2011 Mazda MX-5 Special Edition Roadster Coupe.

EZZY

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2005, 07:40:16 AM »
Quote from: ivanmcp
Thanks all. Time flies? Year right. Here are some images of the same looking one as I ordered, with what I believe is new trim colour scheme. Images are taken by my mobile phone camera, and through the glass @ Milcars Mazda in Watford.

orange and black interior? thats awesome!  :guinness

ivanmcp

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2005, 06:19:21 PM »
Quote from: EZZY
orange and black interior? thats awesome!  :guinness

Hehe, it is not orange, it\'s supposed to be tan/brown colour. My mobile phone camera sucks!

Car is supposed to be delivered to the dealer on Mon/Tue, and I hope to be able to pick it up on Saturday. Then some proper pictures to come.