Author Topic: A trawl through the shark infested waters....  (Read 654 times)

Offline andrewrx7

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spiritrx7.com
A trawl through the shark infested waters....
« on: August 23, 2005, 10:26:53 PM »
OK, maybe this will help someone this year. My annual insurance trawl!

Set the scene: was with elephant, premium last year was about £750, renewal this year was upto £850.

Insurance requirements: fully comp + protection, for me + my wife (37 + 32 years young), car garaged o/n, and fitted with security (obviously!). Car is a 2002 model.

In no real order, these were contacted either from recommendations on this and FDUK sites, or from the internet.

Sureterm: did the internet form, but no late models. Filled in as late a model as I could find, and submitted. No quote. Got a call saying £510. Hmm..too good to be true, so checked with them. And yes, that was quoted on the earlier model. For my late car, wouldn’t offer normal insurance, but would do a classic car policy. But no commuting. They rang off saying they’d refer it to their underwriters and call back. No call back, but did get a quotation through the post for my RX8 (er....no!)!!
Not unsurprisingly, no business for them!

Admiral: £773. £250 excess, 4k miles limited + commuting. Very good! Strange though, that elephant and Admiral are the same company!
Tempted!

Privilege: £940.
Er…no.

Egger Lawson: £934. But this includes 4 track days cover, so is probably actually a good deal. But I’m not wanting to put mine through track days, as much as I would like to!
So…..no.

Lifesure: £755. includes lifetime no claims (as many accidents as the car can handle, I guess!), unlimited mileage (but would prefer close to 3k), commuting, EU cover. Was initially 814, but got it down to 755, but no lower.
Very tempted, and would be my 2nd choice.

A=Plan: £718. £500 excess (ouch), but commuting, 6k limited miles (more than enough), etc.
Will be going with these. 1st choice.

Herts Insurance Consultants (or Hoddesden IC): £691. This sounded oh-so good. But on the 3rd check, it transpires they had the car down as an R1 version, so the closest to mine was an RZ. They changed it, and the premium doubled!!! Almost fell off the chair!!
Moral: always double or triple check the details!!

AON: £690. Sounded good, but no commuting. Was told premium would double if commuting was needed, since the car shifts from a classic policy to a normal policy.

Keith Michaels: this was a funny one. Bloke swore blind my car was an RX8, not an RX7. Didn’t believe me when I insisted it was a 7. “Are you sure?” he asked! Hmmm….let me think about that one…… Anyway, he then went on to inform me that RX7s weren’t made after 1995. Following that, a discussion on the value…..which lead to a frank “we can’t insure your car” and phone goes down! You gotto love their customer service!

Norwich Union: £770. £400 excess and 4k limited miles. Not sure they actually know what they are doing. Spent the first 10 mins convincing the operator that the car was again and RX7 not an RX8. “I need to check with my supervisor”…..”your car is an RX8, correct?”…”NO! I just told you it is an RX7”…….”Oh, OK, not an RX8?” …..“I need to check with my supervisor again…..”… “its an 02? So it is an RX8.” …. “NO!!!!!” etc etc etc…

Performance Direct: car not listed (i.e. no 2616cc, only the usual 2354cc), therefore no quote.

Crowthorne Insurance Services: £1000.

HSBC: not sure they can insure imports, will check with the underwriters and call back. Still waiting!

Plus another few that very quickly said no and didn’t even bother to quote.

What is very frustrating, is the fact that so many of the companies have nice web sites claiming how friendly they are, how knowledgeable they are on imports and will give the best rates……….only to find the usual….they nearly all seem to use the same incorrect databases. A new one on me this year, is the RX7/RX8 confusion! As if I don’t know what car I drive!

Anyway, the 2 that impressed me the most were A-Plan and Lifesure. A-Plan seem to be recommended from quite a few people, hence why I gave them a call. Lifesure I found on a web search, and would certainly recommend anyone give them a call to.

Well, another year over, time to pull the plug on elephant, and pay another large stash of cash to the sharks!

Cheers,
Andrew
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 10:28:56 PM by andrewrx7 »

Offline Mark Ide

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 05:14:11 PM »
Andrew
did they ask if you had a tracker?
this seems to be an issue with some but not others
Regards
Mark

Offline andrewrx7

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 05:54:07 PM »
Some did, some didn\'t! Those that did ask, seemed to be split as to whether it was required (no Tracker, no insurance) or not.

Basically, all the ones I spoke to, had different ideas. Part of the reason I suppose, most of us spend so much time ringing around. It certainly pays off most years, though!

Offline Mark Ide

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 08:32:13 AM »
yup my experience exactly. The amount by which the insurance premium goes down does not offset the annual subscription to RAC Trackstar (£125, I think), let alone the 399 squids to install it

Offline Mark Ide

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 10:06:32 AM »
Andrew
just spoken to Mark Harman at Heritage on 0121 2466065
this man is a star!
490 for stock type r import (with 17in alloys) for 5k miles for me (39) and wife (37) as second car, ncb still runs and 250 excess. no points for either of us, and I have 11yrs NCB
versus 780 from admiral, admittedly with courtesy car as well

Offline andrewrx7

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 10:21:29 AM »
Damn! Why didn\'t I come across them 2 months ago!  :rolleyes:  

Oh well, maybe next year! Tempted to call and just see what he can do out of interest! I think one of the big problems with mine is the year and value of it - seems to really bump up the quotes. (Before I got the current FD last year, I had a 92 UK model - no mods - and that was so cheap to insure, cos it fitted into the Classic Car policies (down to £350 before I sold it on)).

Good to hear someone is coming up trumps anyway!