Author Topic: Folding Number Plate - Make One  (Read 11026 times)

Offline rx-dave

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Folding Number Plate - Make One
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2012, 08:33:10 AM »
What about an electric type one i\'ve seen used on bikes, they would be perfect :Thumbs-up
Dave.

Offline Tintin

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2012, 09:07:53 AM »
If I recall correctly the bike ones where made by a company called flip top, I looked long and hard for one years ago but couldn\'t find one do I decided to make my own but couldn\'t work out a simple mechanism to make the plate fold

Finally tuned - 317.3rwhp :burnout (thats 374.4fwhp for those who like bigger numbers)

12.8@110.64 at RS4:Thumbs-up

Offline jetpilot

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2012, 09:07:57 AM »
They are relatively easy to make, but still have to be armed! I was just thinking this would work well as you can install and forget about it knowing at motorway speeds you are getting full cooling!

If you want to make an electric one, just use a central locking motor wired to a switch!

Offline Aceman

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2012, 11:16:03 PM »
Why make a folding number plate, when you can buy one cheaply from the states??

Had one on my car for years now, cost next to nothing (£30 ish, inc postage and import).

They\'re an optional extra on Corvettes (fold away for states that don\'t require front plates, fold back out for states that do). Just check out Corvette spares/parts sales!

Offline jetpilot

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2012, 09:21:18 AM »
Quote from: Aceman;812304
Why make a folding number plate, when you can buy one cheaply from the states??

Had one on my car for years now, cost next to nothing (£30 ish, inc postage and import).

They\'re an optional extra on Corvettes (fold away for states that don\'t require front plates, fold back out for states that do). Just check out Corvette spares/parts sales!

A number of reasons for me compared to a spring mounting, because it works via a motor you will never know if its actually worked, you will perhaps forget when you are off motorways, the ones i have seen are quite slow and if i ever saw say a laser or specs and "wanted" to retract the plate it might be read in the time it takes to retract and then there is the whole legality issue!

When i make the spring mount it will be lockable so you might get away with, sorry, i forgot to lock it out after the last time i was on track i just use it to help cooling, rather than, i deliberately pressed a button to hide my number plate from you!