Author Topic: James' 92 RZ build  (Read 970 times)

Offline JamesP

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Just joined!
    • Devon
    • View Profile
James' 92 RZ build
« on: March 12, 2019, 10:53:58 AM »
Copying from another forum so hopefully everything will work and make sense.

Hi all,

I thought it’s about time I started a thread on here after finally getting the car useable. So I started searching for a FD for a long time ago, I looked into importing one but didn’t have much luck. I kept searching until I finally found the one I’d been looking for. Although I was after a 99 spec car originally, I found a fairly original 1992 RZ. It was a very well looked after example with 65,000 miles on the clock and a ridiculous amount of service history including a load of history from Japan. So I sorted out a trailer and set off on the 10 hour round trip to pick the car up.

Still has the original seats which I was pretty happy with!

The only down side was the fact the seller was selling it due to it needing a rebuild. I was happy with that as it was a reasonable price and I could get it rebuilt and start off with a fresh engine.
So after getting the car home and in the garage I started having a look into a few things to see what was wrong with it. The main issue was it would stall when coming to a stop. I had a compression test done to see if the engine was dead or not and found good news. Although not the best results, it showed there was life in the engine yet. Low 7's across the engine. Once I started looking for problems I found several issues, coolant not bled properly, vac lines leaking, upper inlet manifold gasket wasn't the correct one and wasn't sealing, clutch switch broken and a few others but might take a while too list them all. So after sorting all that I finally got the car mot'd and took it out for a proper drive.

I've already put a 99 spec spoiler on and a Nardi steering wheel.

I've got a few more plans with the car so I'll try and keep the thread up to date.

Offline clive

• MRC Founder
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://mazdarotaryparts.com
Re: James' 92 RZ build
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 04:18:35 PM »
Looks like a good buy that's going to give you a lot of fun James  :great:

p.s. hope the straps on the truck didn't rub and damage the wheels, they should have strapped it on the tire's not through the wheels      ???
All the best Clive

Offline boosted

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Worryless, Dream more.
    • south west
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 04:41:14 PM »
Yep looks like a result on the engine..lows 7 is nothing to worry about atall...low 5s me ha ha...
Agree with the tieing down...very dodgy...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

92 FD rx7 Twins 13.5psi. Track car
94 Westfield Se 231 rx8 street port powered. Race car
EAT SLEEP ROTOR REPEAT.

Offline JamesP

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Just joined!
    • Devon
    • View Profile
James' 92 RZ build
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 09:50:46 PM »
Looks like a good buy that's going to give you a lot of fun James  :great:

p.s. hope the straps on the truck didn't rub and damage the wheels, they should have strapped it on the tire's not through the wheels      ???

It's was a good buy but there's more to the story yet. Unfortunately It was my poor strapping. No damage was done. I had a issue with the car trailer I was taking the night before I left so I had to borrow a farm trailer last minute that wasn't really for towing cars. I didn't have enough straps so had to improvise with what I had.

Yep looks like a result on the engine..lows 7 is nothing to worry about atall...low 5s me ha ha...
Agree with the tieing down...very dodgy...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Compression test turned out ok . . . Water seals not so much. I'll upload so more progress soon.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 09:52:23 PM by JamesP »

Offline JamesP

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Just joined!
    • Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 09:57:41 PM »
(Still updating from another forum)
Not much going on with the car at the moment. I fitted a re-amemiya short shift a while back. Not much different height wise to oem but feels a lot better when shifting with it. Helps a lot having a heavy weight gear knob on it.

Then I started buying up some parts ready to fit over winter.
Apexi Titanium back box.

Some shine auto carbon steps

The plan is now to get the car in my unit at work and get the engine out for a rebuild. After using it for the summer it's now started using a fair amount of coolant and leaving a mayo mess around the oil filler cap so I've accepted it's got to be rebuilt finally. I'm indenting to do all the work myself so I'll keep the thread updated with my progress once I get going. Hopefully a lot will change with the car over the next few months if I can stick too all my plans.

Offline JamesP

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Just joined!
    • Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 10:00:50 PM »
Well champagne test confirmed water seal issues. Contestant stream of bubbles through filler neck.

So the car is now in my unit over the pit so I can pull the engine out. Started stripping everything off so I can get the engine out. Hopefully be out and apart in the next week or two if all goes too plan.

Offline JamesP

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Just joined!
    • Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 10:03:04 PM »
Managed to get the engine out yesterday. It was easier than I thought it would be. Took the engine home ready to start stripping it down.

Started stripping everything off the block. Got the turbos off and had a look in the housings. Front housing is very wet so looks like it definitely was water seal failure. Now waiting on a engine stand to be delivered this week so I can get it mounted ready to get the engine completely stripped and opened up.

Offline JamesP

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Just joined!
    • Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 10:06:24 PM »
Got the engine stripped down to a bare block in a few evenings.

Got it mounted on the engine stand and finally got it opened up.

Then ended up with this massive mess.

Overall everything was in ok condition. No nasty marks or scoring on the housings or irons. Rotors were all good. All seals were still intact so nothing major had happened but the water seals had gone very hard and brittle. Definitely leaking on the front rotor. Just starting to mark the front iron where it obviously had water sitting in the bottom of the housing. That can be seen on the photo.
Started looking into getting a rebuild kit and what the best option was to take at this stage. After to speaking to tim at RX Motors he offered to build the engine back up for me for what I thought was a very reasonable price. So I dropped everything up to him on Thursday and he's hoping to get it back together in a couple of weeks. Gone for mazda parts on everything but he advised rotary aviation apex seals as there a bit stronger and the car has been running very lean. He said they will hold up better if the car isn't running 100% on the first start up. Need to work out what's causing the lean running next as I don't fancy starting it back up with the chance of any major issues. I'll update once the engine comes back.

Offline JamesP

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Just joined!
    • Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 10:08:10 PM »
Whilst waiting on the block to be Built, I've been getting everything ready to go back on as soon as I get the engine back.
Set up a battery and tested all the solenoids. Turned out the turbo vacuum and the purge control ones weren't working at all. Also one in the solenoid rack had the nipple snapped off and instead of someone replacing it they just blocked of the open hose. That would explain a hose I had that just had a bolt screwed in the end and I couldn't find a home for it when I looked previously.

I will be replacing all the hoses with silicone and fitting new check valves before it goes back on the engine.
Tested the wastegate and pre control actuators as well, all working fine. Did find the hoses on them to be very tired and one had split so they will get replaced as well. Finding a few problems like this is good news though, shows why the car was never running 100% and now I can get it all sorted before the engine goes back in the car.
Next up was giving everything a clean. I'm sending a few bits off to be vapour blasted the freshen them up. Just washed everything with degreaser and wire brush. Surprising how much better they came up with very little effort.

Got a list of parts to order up and hopefully get the engine back this week. Then soon start reassembly.

Offline JamesP

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Just joined!
    • Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 10:12:18 PM »
Got the engine back from RX Motors this week. Got it mounted up on the stand ready to build back up. Waiting on a few bits so I can get everything back on. Hopefully be ready to drop back in the car in a couple of weeks.

Also had a load of parts vapour blasted. Not sure I'm I like how the finish has come up, I may get them polished in the future but they'll do for now.

Sorry for the mass of posts but that's everything up to date now. Currently waiting on some gaskets and stuff so I can fully reassemble the engine ready to go back in the car.

Offline clive

• MRC Founder
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 08:13:13 AM »
Excellent thread James, thank you for posting all this up.
All the best Clive

Offline JamesP

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Just joined!
    • Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2019, 08:26:57 AM »
Excellent thread James, thank you for posting all this up.

Thank you, I've been meaning to post for a while but haven't had much time. I'll keep it up to date now so there won't be so many posts in one go.

Offline JamesP

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Just joined!
    • Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2019, 09:02:07 PM »
Finally got everything to get the engine back together. Spent the weekend getting everything back on the block. Few little things to finish off but 95% finished now.

Went from this:

Halfway there:

To the current state:

Spent a fair bit of time going over the rats nest, replaced most of the hoses with silicone tube and put on new check valves. All the solenoids have been tested so everything should be working perfectly. Next up is tidying up the engine bay. I'll degrease and clean everything. Paint any brackets the are on show as there looking a bit messy. Then drop the engine back in.

Offline clive

• MRC Founder
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2019, 08:27:39 AM »
Getting there  :13:
All the best Clive

Offline Jamie R

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Getting older, fatter, wiser!
    • Worcestershire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2019, 09:25:37 AM »
Echoing Clive......ace thread.

Damn you made that look easy, Im still not brimming with confidence....

Saw the pic of the parts and the bolts and my OCD went bat sh*t crazy....wheres the bags? wheres the labels? loll

If that was me, id jump back in the car, start it up, look out the side window, and see a small pile of bolts....

......mmmmmm where are they from?? CLUNK, WHIRRRR, GRINDD
Its just Rotors and GRP