Author Topic: New rad? And remap??  (Read 166 times)

Offline luckyNot

• View Profile
New rad? And remap??
« on: February 04, 2017, 04:14:23 PM »
Hi all,

I have a 93 FD with  an apexi, sports cat, 3inch system, sports air filters, std map.battery still in front.

I am just about to pull the rad out to fit a replacement fan after the river side fan burn out after my last track day.

Given the rad is 24 years old it seemed sensible to replace it before it fails and it will help with future track days I think. I know Koyo are popular but would prefer to buy British - are these any good - http://radtec.co.uk/products/283/RX7-Radiator.htm  ?

Replacing the rad reminded of v mounts which, when combined with a tax rebate, woke the sleeping 'MustMod' monster.. so.. is a v mount necessary if running remapped twins?
If I mod then I will need a new downpipe with the remap, any recommendations?
Will this increase exhaust noise?? I run 97db @5000 rpm so I am close to track day limits and on track is where i want to stay.

Then there is the part of me that has left the car largely standard that questions whether the remap is worth the inevitable engine ware - is a 10% power gain that noticeable anyway..? I know I cant drive the car to its limits, so making it faster will only increase my error margin.. (SHUT UP! says MustMod) ..

Advice, thoughts and meanderings most welcome  :)

Offline C J R

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: New rad? And remap??
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 12:47:37 PM »
I have a Fluidyne Rad that's available if your interested. It worked fine on my previous set up (540bhp) with a front mount IC.

Only replaced the rad as I went V Mount and bought a full set up (rad and IC).

Not sure whether you will need to remap because you change the down pipe. I can confirm when I changed mine from 3" to 4" it made a huge difference to the exhaust noise, so I had to have a new system made for track and I had it remapped just in case.

Offline luckyNot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 02:29:39 PM »
Hi CJR,

I have tried to message you a couple of times but it does not seem to work. I am interested in buying the radiator, do you want to drop me an email with a price and collection location?
jcole_ltq@yahoo.co.uk

Cheers

Offline neil_jdmr

• Major Contributor
    • Northumberland
    • View Profile
    • http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a66/neil_jdmr/IMGP0420.jpg
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 02:21:24 AM »
Hi all,

I have a 93 FD with  an apexi, sports cat, 3inch system, sports air filters, std map.battery still in front.

I am just about to pull the rad out to fit a replacement fan after the river side fan burn out after my last track day.

Given the rad is 24 years old it seemed sensible to replace it before it fails and it will help with future track days I think. I know Koyo are popular but would prefer to buy British - are these any good - http://radtec.co.uk/products/283/RX7-Radiator.htm  ?

Replacing the rad reminded of v mounts which, when combined with a tax rebate, woke the sleeping 'MustMod' monster.. so.. is a v mount necessary if running remapped twins?
If I mod then I will need a new downpipe with the remap, any recommendations?
Will this increase exhaust noise?? I run 97db @5000 rpm so I am close to track day limits and on track is where i want to stay.

Then there is the part of me that has left the car largely standard that questions whether the remap is worth the inevitable engine ware - is a 10% power gain that noticeable anyway..? I know I cant drive the car to its limits, so making it faster will only increase my error margin.. (SHUT UP! says MustMod) ..

Advice, thoughts and meanderings most welcome  :)

My opinion is that a apexi base map is just that. A base to start and drive the car for the tuner to correctly map. You dont need a v mount but some upgrade for intercooler would be a benefit on track or you will be sucking very hot air by lap 2. Also with a dp not really needed unless your wanting to increase boost although it doesnt make a huge difference to noise.

Really you need a proper map , my first map took me from 245 bhp to 326 with just an exhaust and decat. These were taken before and after the map from a very reputable tuner north of the midlands.
Standard sequential, standard engine, Oem body, 1.2bar, WI

Twins retired. KKK K27 1.25bar courtesy of Jason and Stu