Author Topic: Which Mods to do and in which order?  (Read 517 times)

Offline neil_jdmr

• Major Contributor
    • Northumberland
    • View Profile
    • http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a66/neil_jdmr/IMGP0420.jpg
Re: Which Mods to do and in which order?
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2016, 02:10:23 AM »
Yeah they work together fine,  I bought my oled commander for £200.
Standard sequential, standard engine, Oem body, 1.2bar, WI

Twins retired. KKK K27 1.25bar courtesy of Jason and Stu

Offline Dax

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Contributor
  • If its not broken it soon will be!
    • Sunderland (North East of England)
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2016, 10:46:37 AM »
More questions on mods lol, I have the chance of a 3in downpipe and a 3in decat. So the questions are about boost creep, I have read different things from different places and people so here are some of the things I have read that have confused me.

That I must have a boost controller to stop boost creep from happening? but I have also read that this does not stop it from happening as boost creep is caused by the watesgate not being able to cope with pushing the exhaust gases away from the turbo's so to stop it I need to modify the wastegate (port the opening)?
Final thing I am still running stock ECU at the mo, which I have also read has a boost limiter of 10psi by the vac pill and the wastgate control solenoid, is this right? If so should I be ok to fit them for now or should I hold off until I get the apexi  (which is next on the mod list), and then do I still need a boost controller lol and would the base map be safe till I get the bugger mapped?

I know I am going on a lot in this about something that is simple I guess, but in the turbo motors I have had before this has not been an issue lol
Living the Dream!!!!!

Offline boosted

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • 5000+ posts of drivel from me lol.
    • south west
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2016, 02:20:15 PM »
Hi mate, i explain it how i know it and keep it simple and others may chime in if im incorrect.

from personal experience. id fit the mods all in 1 go along with the apexi and then get tuned ( remap straight away).

The boost control system is a dumb open loop.....the factory set up knows the flow rates through the turbos down pipe and exhaust system and  the wastgate that opens to divert exhuast gases away from the turbos to limit boost are dumbly cycled on/off at a fast rate to control boost....if you remove a restriction ie downpipe then there is more flow on the exhaust side and the car makes more boost and the duty cycle does not change as the ecu cannot do this itself using the sensors...hence the apexi and remap that can put more fuel in for the the greater air (boost) entering the engine and increase the duty cycle of the wastegate.

In addition even with this all mods apexi mapped the wastgegate area is small and this has to flow a huge amount of exhaust gases through a tiny opening....by porting the wastegate the area in and around the port is opened up greatly to allow more gas flow...to go through the wastgate and not through the exhaust turbine that makes boost creep.  its effectively a bottle neck and cant wastgate properly as was assisted by the standard exhaust back pressure.

i think 14 psi is the about the max the stock twin can take....for piece of mind id gather all the mods and fit, fit an apexi and get to a tuner without any boost experiements.

The pils are part of the standard set up and need to be retained but a boost controller is not required but safe tune is.
Id speak to your chosen tuner and discuss the mods and what you are aiming for.

92 FD rx7 Twins 13.5psi. Track car
94 Westfield Se 231 rx8 street port powered. Race car
EAT SLEEP ROTOR REPEAT.

Offline neil_jdmr

• Major Contributor
    • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2016, 10:15:35 PM »
As John said my advice is the same,  take your parts to whoever is gonna map your car to fit the exhaust bits and apexi and map it all at once.

The dp and decat on a standard ecu has been the death of many many 13bs. The increased exhaust flow allows more boost in and the ecu is just to slow to compensate.

Also the apexi boost control is fine so a separate boost controller isn't required, I'm still using the apexi controlling the standard solenoid now at 17 psi.

Offline Dax

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Contributor
  • If its not broken it soon will be!
    • Sunderland (North East of England)
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2016, 11:49:57 PM »
Thanks Jon and Neil for the advice and I guess I better play it safe and collect all the mods i want and get them fitted and mapped at the same time looks like I will be just running as is till after the summer then as all the tuners are about 300 miles from here and I won't get a chance till then.
The big problem with that is I am a massive big kid and when I get new toys I just want to play with them it's going to kill me waiting lol.  Anyway just need an aftermarket intercooler now then so once I get the apexi I will be happy ish for a while at least lol

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Living the Dream!!!!!

Offline neil_jdmr

• Major Contributor
    • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2016, 04:52:43 AM »
Thanks Jon and Neil for the advice and I guess I better play it safe and collect all the mods i want and get them fitted and mapped at the same time looks like I will be just running as is till after the summer then as all the tuners are about 300 miles from here and I won't get a chance till then.
The big problem with that is I am a massive big kid and when I get new toys I just want to play with them it's going to kill me waiting lol.  Anyway just need an aftermarket intercooler now then so once I get the apexi I will be happy ish for a while at least lol

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Haha aren't we all,  I know exactly how you feel as I look at my KKK single turbo sitting in the garage. Will be worth the wait though.