Author Topic: Ada7's T-Rex "The Full Bridge Years  (Read 885 times)

Offline Ada7

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Ada7's T-Rex "The Full Bridge Years
« on: February 22, 2015, 10:27:48 PM »
I've not been on here much over the last couple of years for one reason or another so I thought by way of a small return I'd do a new project thread put together from my one on the other forum so you can see what's been going on. It's been a long 2 years of getting my car up to level I've wanted but it's almost there now and fingers crossed I'll be getting better times on the strip later on this year.
But for now let's go back to the start and play catch up :)

Ok, quick history...
I bought this car back in mid 2008. Being a 1999 rb and having loads of mods already it was a steal at the price advertised and so I snapped it up before any other rotorhead could get their mitts on it. It came with a street ported motor on standard twins and with a home made v-mount.

The exterior has hardly changed over the time I've had it, but the engine is a different story. How it started..

After a year or so the engine decided it had had enough, i think 15 runs up the strip in one day at rotorstock didnt help. Turns out it was badly ported and put together but with the help of Era's skills things were made a lot better again. Whilst out it seemed the perfect time to ditch the twins and lead the single life.

With a T04r, a new v-mount with all supporting mod and Era's new street ported motor this got the power figures up quite a lot.

With this set up in and running well it was off to the shows and have another go up the strip. To date my best time is a 12.6 @ 113mph.
Things were looking good and I was hoping to get better times up the strip with more experience. Sadly this has not been the case.

May 2012... This is when the new chapter kind of starts. My manifold had been leaking for a little while and turned out to be cracked. Off it came to be welded up but all was not good with the turbo. The center shaft had more movement in it than a 70s disco dance off and had scored the front housing. So , with the help of Andy (a.tapos), it was out with the old and in with the new...

With a bit of the bay chopped off to get it to fit this all looked good again and it was ready for Rotorstock.

August 2012... Now you can really see how the engine bay has changed so much. I drove it like this to the show and back but as it hadn't been mapped I took it easy and didn't boost it at all. It felt great and had no problems all day. 2 days later I thought I'd take it to work for the day. Started it up in the morning and straight away things sounded horrible. I got it over to Andy's garage again and he did a compression check. This show loss of compression on 1 side of 1 rotor... BUGGER!!!

Back to Era again I went and this time, with the hope of getting back on the strip one day, it was time to go big or go home... full bridge.

Side plates

Centre plate [SIZE="1"]Yes I realise I got the colouring the wrong way around on this one :o[/SIZE]

I was lucky enough to come into some money (don't ignore all those PPI claims adverts, they do work) and so was able to get the motor built up with top quality seals as well as get some more upgraded supporting parts for it and, as is always the case with me, get a load of it polished up too.
April 2014... Once Era had finished his magic and got it together again the car was trailer to Andy's garage where the 2 were rejoined again and in no time at all started up...

Start up and brappage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aTA3fh-eGA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbqKxNYj6lE&feature=youtu.be

So there we are, up to present day (July 2014). That was quick and painless (for you!). Car is back home and I've slowly made a start in doing the 800 running in miles before its mapping time... About 20 so far :p
If you're interested in reading everything in more detail then here'smy other thread I started a long time back. Happy reading.
There's plenty more I've got to do so I'll try to be betterer at updating things as and when they happen.

Home sweet home

July 2014

Not a lot to say today really other than I took the car out for a nice little drive and it feels great. Now I know just having a drive shouldn't really be an update but seeing as it been so long since I've been able to drive it when I like its still a novelty for me. The sound of it is amazing and it gets looks (good and not so much ha ha) where ever I go.
I was in an fd's natural habitat, a petrol station, filling up when a guy on a nice Harley bike pulled in making a 'bit' of noise and parked up right behind me. In fact he was that close that when I came out from paying he was already filling up the bike off the same pump I'd just used. Anyway I thought to myself "so you think yours is loud do you?". Started mine up... brap brap brap... and he looked in the passenger window and gave me a thumbs up. Made me :D

I suppose I do have a small update.. New bigger battery now fitted into the boot...

New cat mascot as well. Approx 150 miles done... 650 to go. Getting there.

August 2014

At last... All my intercooler hoses are one colour once again :)

Ill get around to doing the rad hoses another time

September 2014
Sometimes it's the little changes that make the big differences.

Spot the differences ha ha
Then...

And now...

No more blue hoses :) Not much I know but it makes me happyier :D

November 2014
Not much to report lately but I did have a day on the car today which felt good.
I've done a deal to swap my tein super street coilovers with the HKS drag ones Liam is selling off his car. I already had the rears off the car and running standard shocks there but the front were still on.
I'd never messed around removing them before so I got some advice from some rotorheads about how easy it was to get them off. Undo this and undo that and they should just fall out was the sort of replies I had. Well I undid this and that and nothing happened. Even with me standing on the discs the suspension didn't seem to drop at all. So I manned up and undone more bits and low and behold... They kinda just fell out. I did have one small problem along the way where one of the top nuts on the shock rounded off. Luckily Andy came to my rescue again and lent me some special sockets, which with the help of an extension bar, finally got it off.

So out there all are. Still in good condition I think but then the car has been off the road half the time I've had it and they were more or less new when I got it.

The second thing I did today is kind of a step backwards to eventually go forwards. I need some money for when I finally get to mapping time so with a heavy heart I've decided to sell on my knight sports lights :(
Removing lights is a bit of a pain on my car now (not that I do it every week mind) as the intercooler is in the way of some of the bolts. So that has to come out. But to remove that you have to undo the top rad hose as that in the way of the intercooler mounts. Real ball ache. But I plodded on and to be honest got the job done a lot quicker than I expected.
These will be going, along with my old turbo, to young Keith. Enjoy them muchly

I love days like this (apart from when you think things aren't going to work out) where you can just potter along and get bits sorted.

Standard lights to go back in soon. Then do some more miles before mapping time.

Jan 2015
Small update today.

Swapped my Tein coilovers for Hks drag ones

I've also got the standard lights back on with concept 7 covers. These need to be painted black to match the rest and, good news, they all work :) no pics of those, we all no what lights look like. Next jobs are to finish polishing my coolant filler neck, tidy up the front fuse box and put the intercooler back in.

Feb 2015
Well that brings us right up to date now. The car is all back together and running again. Still a few small bits that need sorting out. These include fitting the rear drag shocks, mazdaspeed PPF, and new rear tyres. I've bought a 4" exhaust which I've got to pick up from the midlands and get fitted up. It's then just a matter of another 400 running in miles and some race plugs and it's mapping time. Can't wait.
Thanks for reading and Ill try to keep this one up dated now I've started it

Adam
I AM HERCULESIAN
Rex II - The Bridgeport years http://mazdarotaryclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=82902.0

Offline Casey

• MRC Factotum
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
  • RX-8 231, RX-7 FB KIMI 1, RX-7 FB KIMI 2
    • UK
    • View Profile
Re: Ada7's T-Rex "The Full Bridge Years
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 11:29:37 PM »
Great pics and story. I didn't know the history of your car until now. Always interesting to hear the background to member's cars.

Tidy garage too  :)
RX-8 230 Bridgeported: Racing Brake Disks & 4 pot front calipers,Full Racing Beat (RB) SS Exhaust system,RB ARB's F & R,RB REVI intake,Tein MonoFlex Coilovers & front strut brace.
RX-7, KIMI 1 ,1st Gen,Silver,1983 - SORN
RX-7, KIMI 2 ,^^Ditto - MOT and active

Offline re japi

• MRC Overseas Guest
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 05:29:05 AM »
Really great story! And good looking car :)
Power is nothing without control. Weight is enemy of performance, handling and braking.

http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/japi_laukkanen/library/Japi?sort=3&page=1

Offline Ada7

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 07:33:43 AM »
Thanks guys. It's been a long hard expensive couple of years getting to this point. My only really worry now is the fuel bills :p
I've found my old build thread so if you want to read a bit more about the earlier years have a look here http://mazdarotaryclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=59998.msg862714#msg862714

One bit of history I didn't say is that this is kind of a UK car. A local dealership to me imported a handful of cars brand new in 1999. I know of a few of them and all have only ever been driven on UK roads. :)

Adam
I AM HERCULESIAN
Rex II - The Bridgeport years http://mazdarotaryclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=82902.0

Offline Grant Monkhouse

• Karma Chameleon
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
  • I am awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 10:29:20 AM »
What's your target for the strip then??

Offline Ada7

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 08:06:58 PM »
Had a bad day with it today so the way things are going I'll be glad just to get to the strip  :-[
Took it for a drive and I've got lots of vibration through the steering wheel which wasn't there last week. I'm thinking there's something wrong with the power steering pump and/pulley. Also the brakes feel spongy when I  initially press on them. Press again they firm up a bit. They'll need looking at. There's also a random knock coming from somewhere. Sounds like when you have flat tyre but they are fine. Finished I've cracked the near side skirt getting in to my driveway. So all in all feeling quite crappy about it today.
Did have some new sticky rear tyres delivered today tthough so that's one plus point
To answer your question properly though I'll be happy to get into the low 11s at first and build from there.

Adam
I AM HERCULESIAN

Offline Grant Monkhouse

• Karma Chameleon
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
  • I am awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 08:17:43 PM »
Sounds like a typical day in the life of FD ownership

Offline Ada7

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 09:23:33 PM »
Yeh tell me about it. One step forward one step back.

Adam
I AM HERCULESIAN

Offline C J R

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 10:48:30 PM »
Adam, well done with the build. Attention to detail is great. Looking forward to seeing you getting this down the strip this year.

Chris

Offline HoddyRS

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 10:46:43 PM »
Interesting thread mate! But I can't help wondering what went off with you getting an engine rebuild then very quicker a rotar tip is thrown? Then you go back to the same guy for another rebuild?  Hmm :-/