Author Topic: RX8 with RX7 Race car build  (Read 7159 times)

Offline Martin Price

• Contributor
    • View Profile
RX8 with RX7 Race car build
« on: December 11, 2012, 11:00:49 PM »
Hi, following on from my previous post this is the start of the build thread for my RX8 race car.

I’d been doing track days for ages and a couple of years ago I decided to go racing so I did a bit of suspension work on my Impreza and the necessary safety stuff and did a few races with the Nippon challenge. The Scoob although down on power compared to some of the stuff I was racing with was pretty good and in the few races I did with the Nippon I ran at the front. The Nippon is good fun but I really wanted to race in the Euro saloons but the Scoob was going to need a 15k injection to get me near the front in the form of an engine and diet. I gave it some thought and I couldn’t justify spending that sort of money to end up with something that would only be on par with what some people were racing in the Euro saloons anyway. I decided to build/get a new race car and it was a toss-up between a classic Scoob with a N/A Engine and sequential box converted to RWD and an RX8 with a different engine.

As I was debating which way to jump I got offered an ex-factory backed RX8 Britcar being sold by Steve Gugliami of Gugliami Motorsport. My initial thoughts were to take the near standard RX8 engine out of the car I was being offered and fit something else as this was car had a well sorted chassis and I figured it could take some more power. Steve told me Mazda had pumped about £500,000 into the RX8 britcar project and with them racing in Britcar they had loads of time to develop the cars with paid touring car drivers in them. When I went down to view the cars I realised there were three cars on offer, the 96 and 98 car which were just as they were raced in 95/96 season and what I think is the 97 car which was being converted to a different spec to race in a higher class but Mazda pulled the plug on the RX8 Britcar project half way through the build in favour of the MX5.After going down to look at the Number 96 car I realised there was a lot more potential in the project but also a lot more work so after a bit of haggling with Steve I ended up buying all three cars with the intention of selling the other two and some of the spares package that came with them to end up with what I wanted at a sensible price.

I’ve sold the 98 car and I’m just finishing freshening up the 96 car ready to sell in the New Year.

More picturs to follow.
Cheers Martin
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 03:18:35 PM by Casey »

Offline Martin Price

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 11:06:45 PM »
Could one of the mods delete this thread pls?

Mod bit - other thread deleted as this one has responses
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 11:39:20 PM by Will66 »

Offline BlitzBoy

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 11:17:20 PM »
luv the colour scheme on the rx8s!!! like the lemans 4 rotor car
"Piston Killa" 3rd Gen\'94 \'Oldone Racing Full Bridge Ported REW 13b engine with SCR seals\'. HKS T51 KAI turbo BBM mapped Motec ECU

JDS/HKS Street Class Championship Runner up 2011
Rotorstock winner 08,09
http://pistonkilla.blogspot.com/
old spec HB T51 470 @ wheels @ 1.2 BAR, 555 @ fly 10.46 @ 130 @ 1.25 Bar
new spec FB T51 482 @ wheels @ 1.15 BAR, 570 @ fly

New Project
"el fénix" RX2 by Mark & Mark

Offline Will66

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 11:41:01 PM »
What sort of spec are the cars currently?
RX8 High Power, Cusco Coilovers, Dotz wheels and flames. Shoe Size 12

Apparently putting details of your car spec in your signature means the nice folks on exile-rotorsport think you\'re a fool.  I can think of no higher compliment!

"Eat it with a chopstick!"

Offline rx7boy

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dm-motorsport.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 01:20:35 AM »
please tell me this has a hewland sequential box ??
DM-Motorsport.co.uk
Billet Pulleys, Wheel Spacers, Engine Mounts, Engine Braces, Sump Braces, Filler Caps, Coil relocation Custom CNC available.
Dealers for : Injector Dynamics, Thermal Velocity Heat Protection, Xcessive Engineering, Turbosmart.

Offline Grant Monkhouse

• Karma Chameleon
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
  • I am awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 05:29:55 AM »
If you click on this button (the one in the centre) at the top of the post reply screen your pictures will come up on screen. Just delete the http first then paste your photo bucket link in to it.

Offline Martin Price

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 07:19:17 AM »
Quote from: Grant Monkhouse;844321
If you click on this button (the one in the centre) at the top of the post reply screen your pictures will come up on screen. Just delete the http first then paste your photo bucket link in to it.

Thanks, my pc doesn\'t seem to agree with this forum, everything I seem to want to do it does something different!
Pics of my car and what I\'ve been doing with it this eve.Cheers Matin.

Offline Brett

• Administrator
  • MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fc3s.co.uk/
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 08:18:29 AM »
Quick fix for the top post :)
At the end of the day, it\'s meant to be fun - not a political movement! :burnout
[xbox.card]BrettMRC[/xbox.card]

Offline Martin Price

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 10:27:45 AM »
Quote from: Will66;844314
What sort of spec are the cars currently?

The number 96 and 98 cars are as they were raced minus the the extra fuel cells and radios and the number 97 car (which is the car i\'ll be posting pics of later) is a newly prepped bare shell. Well, I put the back subframe on yesterday and we\'ve mock fitted the engine to make engine mounts and to check the Hewland SGT sequential box fitts in ok.
Just to check I can post pictures,

This is a pic of the 96 car sat in our workshop a month ago.

Offline Martin Price

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 10:31:45 AM »
The paint on the car above is very faded now so its just gone in the paint shop for a freshen up. I\'ve got to go right through this car before I sell it in the new year.
Thanks for sorting photo\'s Brett

Offline HaywardRotary

• MRC Supporting Advertiser
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Hayward Rotary
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 12:02:45 PM »
Any chance you can sell it with nothing else done?
If so give me a call pls.
Regards
Carl
We warranty our rebuilt engines for Detonation, track day\'s and RWYB and NOW for 30 months which is two and half years or 30,000 miles
We also build all types of race or road engines.
We build race and track cars too.
Any kind of porting undertaken.
Single turbo conversions.
S

Offline fil_auto

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 10:41:42 AM »
Just awesome Martin, loving your work :)

Offline Martin Price

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, 08:15:22 PM »
Right, I’ve give you some background on how I ended up with the cars, now on to my build, basic spec is as follows-
RX8 lightened seam welded shell with weld in cage.
420bhp RX7 single turbo engine
Carbon doors/plastic glass
Hewland SGT sequential gearbox
365mm floating disc and 6pot AP\'s front
290mm discs with 4pot Brembo\'s rear
Plate LSD
420bhp RX7 motor
Bespoke Biltsien dampers

Rose jointed adjustable suspension
Adjustable blade ARBs
10X18 rears
9X18 fronts
Ginetta G55 tires
Target weight under 1000kgs.

When I say it was an unfinished project, Gugliami hadn’t really got very far with it. The shell had been prepared and painted and it had some brackets fitted for the gearbox and that was about it.
First job was to mount the diff in the rear frame as the spine that bolts the diff to the gearbox wouldn’t fit and it was way too heavy.

Offline Martin Price

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2012, 08:29:34 PM »
The Brembo\'s came with the brackets to fit on to the rear hubs.They are a bit overkill but i opted to use them, so i got some discs and and made some bells.

Offline Martin Price

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2012, 08:35:19 PM »
I’d never made an adjustable blade type anti roll bar before, I’ve made 3 different thicknesses of blades which should give me plenty of set-up options. Blades are EN24T which I polished and sand blasted. The tube is T45. I TIG brazed the blade pivots on to the tube to keep the heat down which they recommend with T45.