This is my missus\'s car - she bought it about a year ago from a gent in clapham, south london.
Its a 1974 mazda 1000 (CC) FA3TS. This is about 2 inches wider than the original STB 1200 and 1300 models. It came with a piston engine of...suprise suprise....1000cc.
The car is really clean, but needs a tidy - and to get rid of the underseal underneath it!
Pics when we got her -
the engine ran well, but the carb was playing up. electrics played silly buggers too.
So we took the engine out -
and purchased a motor, gearbox, and carb etc from a E_X_I_L_E_R. This was sold as a strong engine, bridgeported and rebuilt within the last 4 years (as the builder had only been in the country 5) and a premium was consequently paid. Bear in mind you can buy 12a NA engines for Â£50 all day on ebay or elsewhere.
Carl Hayward sourced a rx3 crossmember for me which i hoped would allow us to front mount the engine on stock mounts.
I shot blasted the crossmember, slotted the holes, and it bolted beneath the sway bar mounts on the chassis rails - lovely
you will also notice we ground off the existing piston engine mounts from the banana shapped crossmember to clear the \'little ripper\' of a rotorshed motor.
Trial fitting the engine and gearbox, we soon noticed two things -
1. the sump \'bulge\' fouled heavily on the crossmember.
2. the shifter would be moved around 20cm to the rear.
We decided to first of all, reverse the sump. To do this, we used a 13b oil pickup, which we lengthened by tig welding in a short length of pipe -
to ensure a good seal, it was sealed with liquid metal
Using the gaset, I redrilled the end holes of the sump (at the front and rear of the sump) and welded closed the holes no longer required.
ta daa. reversed sump!
Second off, we shortened the Gear shifter position.