Mazda Rotary Club

Cars by Model Type => 3rd generation RX-7's => Topic started by: Grant Monkhouse on May 01, 2010, 01:05:48 PM

Title: 700 bhp rx7 in Huddersfield
Post by: Grant Monkhouse on May 01, 2010, 01:05:48 PM
Have taken my car for an mot today, pass with flying colours. As i was getting ready to leave a few lads turned up and started talking cars and how much bhp they had and there friends.
   
One of the lads mentioned a 700bhp rx7 in huddersfield, which i have never seen, or heard of before. Now this is something you another rotary fan wouldnt miss, does anyone know about this car, know anything about the setup of it? Jst wondering as people tend to talk a lot of BULL MANURE when it comes to BHP figures, especially this lad that said " my golf has 330 BHP and it left my car for dust"! Honestly a golf, front wheel drive beat an rx7, i dont think so, there is no comparison.
 
If anyone can enlighten me on this car as it would be nice to see any other rx7s in huddersfield than mine and my brothers.
 
Surely something with this amount of power would be extremely noisy?? and i would have heard it?? before someone has told me about it??
Title: 700 bhp rx7 in Huddersfield
Post by: TiddlesRX7 on May 01, 2010, 01:37:42 PM
There was a high BHP (600+ IIRC) at Haigh Hall show last year or the year before. It was for sale too. So it could be that. But tbh if it was used regulerly you would probably know about it. You always meet people who have a mate thats got something mosterous. Only for it to turn out to be a 1.25ltr zetec fiesta!
Title: 700 bhp rx7 in Huddersfield
Post by: m1tch on May 01, 2010, 01:51:35 PM
Meh, im sure if it had a 20B conversion - like JM Garage has and fit a large turbo that figure should be quite easily attained, there is a 900bhp 13B FC3S dyno run on youtube so they are out there, but I am thinking with 700bhp you wouldn\'t be taking it out every day so it might just turn up at a random show or something :)
Title: 700 bhp rx7 in Huddersfield
Post by: nuki on May 01, 2010, 01:56:17 PM
Grant... hey! There is a small community of us friends who have rx7\'s around the area of cleckheaton/mirfield/liversedge.. My friend Leon has just completed a full engine rebuild and single turbo build hes from cleckheaton There is a Guy called Oli from Mirfield whos running 2 rx7\'s both currently at WGT... 600+bhp track car and a road monster!
theres another mate of mine who buys broken 3rd gens and repairs to sell.
My Other mate chris has just sold this car.. T78 Single he lives near whitgates garden centre on leeds road.
Then theres Me who lives near Cooper Bridge.
 
(http://cdn.images.pistonheads.com/aimg/1607/1607776-1.jpg)
 
And this is my car
 
(http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs166.snc3/19359_325609001313_523126313_4123503_6558392_n.jpg)(http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-sjc1/hs166.snc3/19359_325609006313_523126313_4123504_4452565_n.jpg)
 
your not alone!! :D i bet your only 5 mile away from all of us...
Title: 700 bhp rx7 in Huddersfield
Post by: Grant Monkhouse on May 01, 2010, 03:44:54 PM
I live in Dalton, only takes five minutes to get to whitegates. When do you go out in your cars?

Do any of you use them through the winter as I spoke to someone from cleckheaton down at the shell garage and he said they all keep there\'s garages up through the winter?! It\'s a car not a hedgehog that needs to be driven not hibernate in the winter months, lol.

Would you all be interested in meeting up?
Title: 700 bhp rx7 in Huddersfield
Post by: Grant Monkhouse on May 01, 2010, 03:53:07 PM
Quote from: m1tch;690907
Meh, im sure if it had a 20B conversion - like JM Garage has and fit a large turbo that figure should be quite easily attained, there is a 900bhp 13B FC3S dyno run on youtube so they are out there, but I am thinking with 700bhp you wouldn\'t be taking it out every day so it might just turn up at a random show or something :)


Well this got me thinking how to reach that kind of BHP figures you have got to be looking at a 13b PP with a gt45? But then wouldn\'t it become a pain in the arse to drive on the road??

20b would be the easiest root to that kind of power but you would be looking a full Bridgeport plus huge turbo, looking at prices of twenty grand!! Just for the engine! And you would have to buy a block to start with? That\'s around 3 grand??
Title: 700 bhp rx7 in Huddersfield
Post by: nuki on May 01, 2010, 05:04:49 PM
Yer whenever theres a sunny day give me a shout , 07960525204 my names Aaron :)
Title: 700 bhp rx7 in Huddersfield
Post by: karl_tate on May 01, 2010, 07:32:38 PM
didnt realise there was that many FD\'s around, they appear from everywhere. do any of you guys go to york dragstrip??
Title: 700 bhp rx7 in Huddersfield
Post by: Grant Monkhouse on May 02, 2010, 12:51:13 PM
Quote from: karl_tate;690944
didnt realise there was that many FD\'s around, they appear from everywhere. do any of you guys go to york dragstrip??


I keep meaning to go over but don\'t know anyone to go over with and, not with rx7s that is. Would like to go over, when is the next one?
Title: 700 bhp rx7 in Huddersfield
Post by: turbotoaster on May 02, 2010, 09:43:04 PM
Quote from: Grant Monkhouse;690920
Well this got me thinking how to reach that kind of BHP figures you have got to be looking at a 13b PP with a gt45? But then wouldn\'t it become a pain in the arse to drive on the road??

20b would be the easiest root to that kind of power but you would be looking a full Bridgeport plus huge turbo, looking at prices of twenty grand!! Just for the engine! And you would have to buy a block to start with? That\'s around 3 grand??

you dont need a PP on a 13b to get that kind of power, its been done on a stock port!

its just the need to either use race gas or lots of water.

700bhp on a 20b will be easy, streetport and big turbo should do it
Title: 700 bhp rx7 in Huddersfield
Post by: karl_tate on May 02, 2010, 10:52:16 PM
i will be at the 31st, bank holiday monday.

if you have never been, if you car is low, the roads around and at the strip are rough so go steady.
Title: 700 bhp rx7 in Huddersfield
Post by: Grant Monkhouse on May 02, 2010, 11:21:38 PM
Quote from: karl_tate;691168
i will be at the 31st, bank holiday monday.

if you have never been, if you car is low, the roads around and at the strip are rough so go steady.


31st of this month? Think I will take a trip over. My car is low, so thanks for the warning
Title: 700 bhp rx7 in Huddersfield
Post by: Grant Monkhouse on May 02, 2010, 11:30:35 PM
Quote from: turbotoaster;691151
you dont need a PP on a 13b to get that kind of power, its been done on a stock port!

its just the need to either use race gas or lots of water.

700bhp on a 20b will be easy, streetport and big turbo should do it


I have seen that stock port monster, I was just thinking of the easiest way for a street car to achieve that power figure. Will hopefully get to speak to the lad near Huddersfield and see what he has done to the engine.

20b would be the way I would go for that kind of power, and it would sound a lot better!
Title: 700 bhp rx7 in Huddersfield
Post by: Rex_FTW on May 02, 2010, 11:34:09 PM
Whifbitz had 650 odd proven on Surrey rolling road on a half bridge using pump fuel.
There\'s a video of it on YouTube, so it\'s possible. Depends how good your tuner and engine builder is
Title: 700 bhp rx7 in Huddersfield
Post by: karl_tate on May 03, 2010, 09:30:52 AM
yeh grant, this month :D
Title: 700 bhp rx7 in Huddersfield
Post by: Grant Monkhouse on May 03, 2010, 11:18:29 AM
Quote from: Rex_FTW;691175
Whifbitz had 650 odd proven on Surrey rolling road on a half bridge using pump fuel.
There\'s a video of it on YouTube, so it\'s possible. Depends how good your tuner and engine builder is


I\'m not doubting that it isn\'t possible for big power, don\'t forget that if the same car was dyno\'d on different dyno the power figure could be different due to the type of dyno, and also the reAding the computer gives out, as if it converts it to engine power then that will always be higher as with frictional losses you lose around twenty percent when the power finally gets to the wheels.

I will be getting my car dyno\'d on my twins and then when I have single conversion in the not too distant future I can show people the differences and power gains for the money and the difference in power delivery.

Don\'t think I will be near 600 BHP but over 400 on a single should be more than fast enough I think, only at no more than .9 of a bar
Title: 700 bhp rx7 in Huddersfield
Post by: Grant Monkhouse on May 03, 2010, 11:22:00 AM
Quote from: karl_tate;691191
yeh grant, this month :D


Do you fancy meating up and going over? Where about are you from?
Title: 700 bhp rx7 in Huddersfield
Post by: karl_tate on May 03, 2010, 12:28:41 PM
i live in whitby which is near scarborough, will be coming from a different way from you but can meet up near york and then head on over.

will start a new thread and see if we can get a few more going.
Title: 700 bhp rx7 in Huddersfield
Post by: Grant Monkhouse on May 03, 2010, 02:09:04 PM
Quote from: karl_tate;691227
i live in whitby which is near scarborough, will be coming from a different way from you but can meet up near york and then head on over.

will start a new thread and see if we can get a few more going.


Yes I\'m up for that, think my brother will come in his so that is one more already.
Title: 700 bhp rx7 in Huddersfield
Post by: C J R on May 05, 2010, 07:17:09 PM
Wow,
I didn\'t realise how many RX7\'s are around locally. I live in Ossett and would be happy to meet up with you local guys.
 
Chris
Title: 700 bhp rx7 in Huddersfield
Post by: trotter on May 06, 2010, 09:02:53 AM
Same here,

I\'m in Hull, but it\'s not that far a trip for a wee road trip some afternoon! :)
Title: 700 bhp rx7 in Huddersfield
Post by: Grant Monkhouse on May 06, 2010, 09:35:57 PM
Quote from: C J R;691835
Wow,
I didn\'t realise how many RX7\'s are around locally. I live in Ossett and would be happy to meet up with you local guys.
 
Chris
hoping to get a few of us going over to york drag strip on the 31st of this month, karl_tate has put a thread up in the local meets section, add your name to it and we can start arranging it
Title: 700 bhp rx7 in Huddersfield
Post by: Grant Monkhouse on May 06, 2010, 09:37:24 PM
Quote from: trotter;691964
Same here,
 
I\'m in Hull, but it\'s not that far a trip for a wee road trip some afternoon! :)
are you up for york aswell?
Title: 700 bhp rx7 in Huddersfield
Post by: leon on May 06, 2010, 11:53:29 PM
I\'d suggest a meet up when the weather becomes very good in Castleford, Maybe Xscape! The for a wee drive to a pub :3 That way the poor devil\'s from hell can come over too :Giggle
Title: 700 bhp rx7 in Huddersfield
Post by: C J R on May 07, 2010, 12:18:50 PM
Quote from: Grant Monkhouse;692177
hoping to get a few of us going over to york drag strip on the 31st of this month, karl_tate has put a thread up in the local meets section, add your name to it and we can start arranging it

Sorry, I\'m on vacation on the 31st !!
 
But still happy to meet up on another day during the summer.
 
Just as an idea for a loction, we had a meet at Hayward Rotary North, just off the A1 at Carcroft I think (before  Doncaster).
I\'m sure Steve would be willing to open up one weekend and put the kettle on.