Author Topic: Cosmo 20b rebuild  (Read 5654 times)

Offline frank20bcosmo

• View Profile
Cosmo 20b rebuild
« on: December 03, 2011, 09:39:54 AM »
got the Cosmo in at WGT to get the motor rebuilt, spoke to Pip yesterday and it has broken the rotor tip on the rear rotor, no damage to the rotor but the housing is damaged.
just shows you I only drove it home 3 miles when it happened but still took the housing.
thankfully no other damage and Pip has sourced another rear housing for me which is being shipped.

I am going to see Pip next week to have a quick chat and collect the manifold and hard pipes so I can get them polished, I suggested to Pip about going the stand alone ECU route such as MOTEC (as reccomended by Mir) bad news because of the complications of the electronic auto box it seems a really difficult or impossible to get the stand alone to speak to the box so it looks like it will have to be a piggyback unit.

Pip is going to give it some thought, the one that springs to mind in the e-manage ultimate, has anybody else got any suggestions, I know it is not a problem for the RX7 boys with the manual box but unless I go the manual gearbox route which is a big investment which I dont really want to do at the moment, and I do like the auto box I must admit.
But if the box was ever to go I would probably look at that option then but all being well not for a few years yet.
I am also looking at a bigger intercooler but not much out there for the Cosmo, I saw I guy in Aus put a RX7 v-mount set up on his cosmo but mounted it in the same position as the original front mounted and looked really good and didnt have to remove the front bumper as there was loads of room to work.
so suggestions please
ECU suggestions?
Intercooler suggestions?

Thanks

Offline Mir

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Cosmo 20b rebuild
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 10:06:42 AM »
Hi mate

It\'s a shame that Motec is not up to the job! I am running out of options now :(. What Pip is thinking of doing to your 20b ecu wise? One piece of advise, tell him to check all the wiring for you! He is good at locating faults and addressing them accordingly!!

I will be ringing Pip soon as my car is going there soon. So, I may catch up with you there

Mir
I am building a Genuine Fastest Street Rotary!
No Cutting and No Removals
Love FDs. Currently own:
20b-Triple Rotor,Single turbo FD
13B- Two Rotor, 2000spec on Stock Twins-FD
13B- Two Rotor, Single Turbo FD
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngone 
It takes some money for engineering a proper 20b

My C

Offline frank20bcosmo

• View Profile
Cosmo 20b rebuild
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 10:17:26 AM »
Hi Mir,
what are you going in to get done this time?
I think Pip is looking at a piggyback so all the tuning, fuel / air mixture boost levels etc can be done to the motor but the piggback withh still allow the main ECU to talk to the gearbox.

There is another option I can send the ECU away and have it chipped by a firm in Japan called Do=Engineering who took over the Re-Ameniya set up that they used to do for the Cosmo years ago which lifted the speed limiter fuel cut and increase the boost levels, you have to tell them what mods have been done and they chip it to suit, however any changes thereafter it has to go away again the theory is a plug in and go method but this costs well over £1k, I think a piggback is a better option as you can re-map it again with new mods

Offline clive

• MRC Founder/President
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://mazdarotaryparts.com
Cosmo 20b rebuild
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 10:30:20 AM »
Frank, pop Kevin (kev-yorks) a PM  as he has now years of experience with his  3 Rotor Cosmo and found that the GT42/ 45 works great on these cars along with from memory a Haltech set up that he installed and tuned himself

Hope this helps
All the best Clive

Offline Mir

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Cosmo 20b rebuild
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 10:36:18 AM »
Hi Frank

I recently developed a problem with a car, nothing serious but still needs Pips attention. Thereafter, I have to install a 60mm tial wastegate and final re-map to 1.5 bar.

Now the option you have looks very attractive, but I don\'t agree with sending things back to Japan in order to re chip them for more modes :(

The only option which comes to my mind is to go manual Fd/RX8 gearbox. But, you prefer Auto gearbox so that is out of the question here.

I really wish Motec would have done the trick for you :(. As far as I know, Pip has good links with Motec UK and my car is actually wired in collaboration with their advise. Actually, Motec has visited Pips garage serveral times.

So, I am sure they (Motec) will be able to help! It\'s beyond me as to why Motec is not designed for Automatic Cosmo Engine :(

Mir
I am building a Genuine Fastest Street Rotary!
No Cutting and No Removals
Love FDs. Currently own:
20b-Triple Rotor,Single turbo FD
13B- Two Rotor, 2000spec on Stock Twins-FD
13B- Two Rotor, Single Turbo FD
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngone 
It takes some money for engineering a proper 20b

My C

Offline frank20bcosmo

• View Profile
Cosmo 20b rebuild
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 11:40:00 AM »
Quote from: clive;801054
Frank, pop Kevin (kev-yorks) a PM as he has now years of experience with his 3 Rotor Cosmo and found that the GT42/ 45 works great on these cars along with from memory a Haltech set up that he installed and tuned himself

Hope this helps

Hi Clive, is Kevin running an auto box or has he gone manual ?

Offline frank20bcosmo

• View Profile
Cosmo 20b rebuild
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 11:46:01 AM »
Quote from: Mir;801055
Hi Frank

I recently developed a problem with a car, nothing serious but still needs Pips attention. Thereafter, I have to install a 60mm tial wastegate and final re-map to 1.5 bar.

Now the option you have looks very attractive, but I don\'t agree with sending things back to Japan in order to re chip them for more modes :(

The only option which comes to my mind is to go manual Fd/RX8 gearbox. But, you prefer Auto gearbox so that is out of the question here.

I really wish Motec would have done the trick for you :(. As far as I know, Pip has good links with Motec UK and my car is actually wired in collaboration with their advise. Actually, Motec has visited Pips garage serveral times.

So, I am sure they (Motec) will be able to help! It\'s beyond me as to why Motec is not designed for Automatic Cosmo Engine :(

Mir

Mir, I am glad you still have the 20b, I am with you on the ECU back and forth to Japan, also £1k each time,, definately not a good idea, Not that I am against Manual boxes but it would cost well over 2k to sort it to manual I would rather spend that on other things for now and may end up going that route if the auto box ever goes wrong
you never know with Pip he may well come up with something yet, I was hoping to get it up to 450+bhp but maybe not now, however with a piggyback and a bigger intercooler and the street port I would think 400+ should be achievable, will wait and see what Pip says

Offline shaunwil

• Extra Special Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Cosmo 20b rebuild
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 12:25:43 PM »
Quote from: frank20bcosmo;801064
Hi Clive, is Kevin running an auto box or has he gone manual ?

Kev ran a manual FD box after having a bit of fun on the motorway with the auto box.

Shaun
1994 White FD with A-spec GT3574R - 358bhp at the hubs at 0.9bar :3gears-lh
2003 Mondeo 2lt 130ps Diesel Estate Daily :driving

Offline frank20bcosmo

• View Profile
Cosmo 20b rebuild
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 12:59:24 PM »
Quote from: shaunwil;801072
Kev ran a manual FD box after having a bit of fun on the motorway with the auto box.

Shaun

Shauan don\'t leave it there what happened?

and was that after or before he went with PP and the haltech ecu?

Offline Grant Monkhouse

• Karma Chameleon
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
  • I am awesome
    • View Profile
Cosmo 20b rebuild
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 02:36:40 PM »
Let\'s just say he hasn\'t quite cracked 200 yet!! Private test track of course though

Offline shaunwil

• Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Cosmo 20b rebuild
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 03:00:27 PM »
Quote from: frank20bcosmo;801081
Shauan don\'t leave it there what happened?

and was that after or before he went with PP and the haltech ecu?

Its a long time ago but it swapped ends on the motorway in the wet. The gearbox dropped down gears with a bit of throttle and spun the car out.

Don\'t know if kev was running an aftermarket ecu at the time though.

Shaun

Offline shaunwil

• Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Cosmo 20b rebuild
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 03:02:15 PM »
Well and truely before the beast really got going ! Hopefully kev will be along at some point to fill in the detail, he only told me in passing why he had swapped to a manual box. If I remember at the 1st North vs South Dyno day about 6yrs ago !

Shaun

Offline frank20bcosmo

• View Profile
Cosmo 20b rebuild
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2011, 03:06:18 PM »
I had a similar experience in the wet on the way to Rotorstock 2 years ago, didnt drop down unexpected but went to overtake another car foot down dropped a gear and went vitually sideways threw me out of the seat dont know how I saved it but I did :driving

I blamed the tyres, so any other trip out in the wet kept boost to a minimum just in case:eek:

Offline Grant Monkhouse

• Karma Chameleon
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
  • I am awesome
    • View Profile
Cosmo 20b rebuild
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2011, 03:10:03 PM »
Are you keeping it on the twins? As when Kev put a single on standard ports he made 476hp at the hubs. ;) he used a GT4094

Offline frank20bcosmo

• View Profile
Cosmo 20b rebuild
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2011, 03:58:12 PM »
staying on the twins, I would have to go manual box I think if I go single turbo,
I would just be happy with 400+bhp at the motor and driveable on the street, a bit of a sleeper if you know what I mean

if the auto box ever goes then I would go single turbo and manual box at the same time