Author Topic: Chris's RX8  (Read 360 times)

Offline C J R

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Chris's RX8
« on: August 11, 2017, 07:42:50 AM »
Hi all,
So I've moved from big power FD to RX8, (some of you may remember the bright yellow and black FD).

Read lots of threads to 'get up to speed' on the knowledge and I've asked a lot of newbie questions.

Anyhoo on the RX8, It has a Hayward Bridge port engine which seems like a decent starting place for a track focused car.
Fitted PZ alloys (thanks Big Pete) and some new Federal 595RSR's, Black Diamond grooved discs (front & Rear) and new Hawk Road/Track pads (thanks Clive MRP).

Took it on a track day at Blyton Park recently just to get to understand how these cars need to be driven. As I learned quickly...very different to an FD. Need to remember two things, keep the power on until the bend, dab the brakes and let the car do its stuff through the bend, then back on the power.
Couldn't understand why the brakes were burning...until Jim pointed out the DCS was braking too. Doh..I have a lot to learn.

Pushing the DCS button once made for a much better experience (for me and my developing RX8 track style), I know it's not for everyone.

The purpose was to test myself on a stockish set up. Before the modifications.

Offline C J R

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Chris's RX8
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 07:47:58 AM »
Has a very busy weekend working on the car, hopefully the pictures upload.

In essence I've changed the dampers from stock with Ebach springs, to R3 dampers (thanks Big Pete) with the same Ebach springs.
I changed the stock ARB's for Racing Beat ARB's front and rear and replaced all the drop links (learned on here that the ones with 'flats' on them may be better than the version that takes an allen key (time will tell).

Also removed the front bumper and fitted a Racing Beat cold air feed (thanks Big Pete).

Changed the stock exhaust with good 'cat' for a full Racing Beat system with the double resonator cat replacement (Big Thanks to Clive at MRP).

Haven't had chance to run the car since these mods, but I hope I should notice the differences.

Offline C J R

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 07:51:09 AM »
More pictures......

Offline C J R

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 07:54:20 AM »
Managed to find time to take the '8 out for a short test last evening. What a difference the decat and exhaust make. Much more responsive to throttle movements. Will need more seat time to really notice the suspension mods. So far I'm please with the results.

Offline clive

• MRC Founder/President
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://mazdarotaryparts.com
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 08:21:54 AM »
Managed to find time to take the '8 out for a short test last evening. What a difference the decat and exhaust make. Much more responsive to throttle movements. Will need more seat time to really notice the suspension mods. So far I'm please with the results.

After all the issues with the FD its good to see you out there enjoying a Rotary again :13: :13:
All the best Clive

Offline rote8

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 05:38:48 PM »
Lots of good mods there Chris, very similar spec to mine  :sign0098:. Really need to see you on track sometime soon you must surely be suffering withdrawal symptoms by now.  :13:
RX of the 8 variety.
Now totally Shy, courtesy of Mazdaspeed body kit, Dotz wheels, large brake kit and custom \'bull bars\'.

Offline Grant Monkhouse

• Karma Chameleon
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
  • I am awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 07:08:53 PM »
You've been busy!!

Think Carl said 30Hp gain from using a racing beat exhaust with no cat.

Has the car gone any lower with the R3 shocks?

Is the car any more noticeably louder with the new 'Zorst?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline neil_jdmr

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
    • Northumberland
    • View Profile
    • http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a66/neil_jdmr/IMGP0420.jpg
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 02:01:43 AM »
30hp from a decat and exhaust on a NA really?? That must be something to do with being NA rotary i expect but that's a fantastic increase.  I had many years experience with NA 4pots and never saw even double digit increase from the same free flowing set up.

They must be massively strangled in factory form, is this the same for 192s and 231s?
Standard sequential, standard engine, Oem body, 1.2bar, WI

Twins retired. KKK K27 1.25bar courtesy of Jason and Stu

Offline Grant Monkhouse

• Karma Chameleon
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
  • I am awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 08:13:00 AM »
30hp from a decat and exhaust on a NA really?? That must be something to do with being NA rotary i expect but that's a fantastic increase.  I had many years experience with NA 4pots and never saw even double digit increase from the same free flowing set up.

They must be massively strangled in factory form, is this the same for 192s and 231s?
I have no idea. The engine is bridgeported. I sold this car to chris, and 30Hp is what Carl told me it would gain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline neil_jdmr

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
    • Northumberland
    • View Profile
    • http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a66/neil_jdmr/IMGP0420.jpg
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 09:40:28 PM »
Like i said, that's great gains and good to know.  Great to see you back out in a rotary Chris
Standard sequential, standard engine, Oem body, 1.2bar, WI

Twins retired. KKK K27 1.25bar courtesy of Jason and Stu

Offline Casey

• MRC Factotum
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
  • My Links:
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2017, 02:22:34 PM »
Great to hear you've already made some excellent progress with some mods to make your RX-8 more track focused  :icon_thumleft:

Sorry I can't join you at Blyton on 9th September, but will be interested to see what sprint times you can clock up in the afternoon :) You'll have plenty of other RX-8's there to compete with  ;)
RX-8 230 Bridgeported: Racing Brake Disks & 4 pot front calipers,Full Racing Beat (RB) SS Exhaust system,RB ARB's F & R,RB REVI intake,Tein MonoFlex Coilovers & front strut brace.
RX-7, KIMI 1 ,1st Gen,Silver,1983 - SORN
RX-7, KIMI 2 ,^^Ditto - MOT and active

Offline exiled-viking

• exiled Viking modding on MRC
  • MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2017, 08:50:58 PM »
Love the progress your making Chris keep my eye on your build thread  :sign0098: :sign0098: :sign0098: :icon_thumleft:

Offline C J R

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 10:45:00 AM »
Not much done over the weekend. Just fitted the Prodrive Spoiler (thanks Ben).

Offline exiled-viking

• exiled Viking modding on MRC
  • MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2017, 07:21:05 PM »
thats a neat  Idea  :sign0098:

Offline C J R

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2017, 08:29:17 AM »
So, took it for wheel alignment checks and to set the castor etc as I have changed various suspension parts. This car is weird, near side is lovely with very little rust, whereas offside is crusty. Offside camber bolts are seized solid. After a lot of WD40 over a number of days/evenings I attempted to free the front camber bolt. With a long bar and extension tube I managed to break the rubber bush from the housing !!  :sign0085:
So now I need to smash the bolt out and replace the bush and bolt  :violent1: