Author Topic: That old question, RX7 FD Vs RX8  (Read 699 times)

Offline PurcyP

• View Profile
That old question, RX7 FD Vs RX8
« on: July 19, 2014, 04:36:13 PM »
When it comes to the drift scene

its mostly S body nissans, Beamers and not much else, when it comes rotary the rx8 in particular doesnt get held in very high regard especially vs the RX7 purely because of the renesis engine.

I am however interested in seeing if anyone on here has drifted a stock RX8 and then a stock RX7 FD3S and would like to hear what you prefer and why.

It always falls into 2 categories when ive trawled the net, its either rx7 because its a rx7 and has turbos or a rx8 due to its newer chassis etc.

Mad mike Whiddett who is a personal hero of mine said he would take the RX8 over a RX7 in a OEM battle purely because the rx8 apparently has more torque?! and the chassis is overall better and less snappy and violent.

I currently own a RX8 and I will be using it as my first drift car, its a 231 6spd ive had a lot of "opinions" from people saying dont bother its crap and they sold theirs instantly, however upon further research they had the 5spd 192 which in all accounts is not a car to be drifted ..at least without a lot of effort, Or more a ton more effort than the 6spd version anyway as both will be hard work in comparison to a S body

My car is all OEM at the moment with the exception of a SOHN 2 stroke adaptor, havnt even lowered it or anything, going to buy a few sets of cheap 17 inch wheels for the rear and then have some fun on the 27th of august.

This is mostly because i am saving for a FD3S so dont particularly want to plough loads of money into this..

but i digress

RX7 the rotary rocket vs RX8

Offline Will66

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 05:24:17 PM »
RX8 is a far less edgy chassis than the rx7.  It\'s got a wide spread of torque although the peak figure isn\'t huge.  You can certainly make it slide but you\'ll be working the clutch a lot to keep it sliding.
RX8 High Power, Cusco Coilovers, Dotz wheels and flames. Shoe Size 12

Apparently putting details of your car spec in your signature means the nice folks on exile-rotorsport think you\'re a fool.  I can think of no higher compliment!

"Eat it with a chopstick!"

Offline PurcyP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 05:51:55 PM »
Yea that is exactly what I was thinking.

I just never understood why the rx8 "is a terrible drift car"
yet ask the same person about the rx7 and its "a very good drift car"

Offline boosted

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • 5000+ posts of drivel from me lol.
    • south west
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 06:04:19 PM »
also compared to the s14 car handles great so to initiate the drift your trying to upset the handling of a great car. whereas show an s14 a wet roundabout and little boost and its a fishtailing death trap....had an s12 and 2 s14\'s. The s14 is the daddy of drift because its dreadful handling car! whearas the rx8 is great handling car.
92 FD rx7 Twins 13.5psi. Track car
94 Westfield Se 231 rx8 street port powered. Race car
EAT SLEEP ROTOR REPEAT.

Offline PurcyP

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 06:51:11 PM »
Yeah i have a few friends in the BDC who all use S Bodies of some description.
You do get a fair few different cars but there is not a mazda in sight! ..shame really. it is full of S Bodies n other obvious drift car choices.

I think really drifting in general with these cars probably is not the best route forward but rotary runs in me like S bodies n pistons do in others.

So with that mindset i guess really the rx7 vs rx8 in drift is a null and void argument?
as they are both in reality a bit crap lol, you either choose school boy dream looks and boost or a more modern capable chassis which in one way is good, another way not so much, depends really if you are a rich privateer or part of a team who will build either RX for purpose.

Offline boosted

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
    • south west
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 07:13:48 PM »
Cheapest way to go drifting mx5 and fit 2 space savers on rear...seen it done. Hilarious!
EAT SLEEP ROTOR REPEAT.

Offline PurcyP

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 07:21:55 PM »
lol Mx5\'s are becoming more prevalent in the drift scene now.

Had one before I got the rx8 however was rotting away so parted ways, fun little cars but wouldnt own another to be honest.

Theres a few lads drifting mx5\'s at my local track and they do perfectly fine, which makes me laugh because on paper a mx5 should be even worse than a RX8 to drift so i never understood the opinions against a rx8 for drifting yet will say yes to a mx5?

i dunno people be crazy, saying that im crazy because i want to drift rotary rockets haha

Only thing i am wary about buying a FD and doing drift days etc, is parts ..with the RX8 i can buy from japspeed every suspension part from trailing arms to front toe arms the whole shabang so if anything gives way its not a huge drama.

I am not seeing the same sort of support for a RX7 FD ..either that or i am on the wrong websites.

Offline Will66

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 08:20:46 PM »
I think S chassis Nissans only became drift cars because that\'s how they drive, they always go sideways.  I\'ve only driven one S chassis, an S14 with a manual and maybe 250 bhp, the engine was excellent, lots of go and not much lag but it was altogether too much for the chassis which felt wayward and twitchy.  I dread to think what one with twice the power is like.
RX8 High Power, Cusco Coilovers, Dotz wheels and flames. Shoe Size 12

Apparently putting details of your car spec in your signature means the nice folks on exile-rotorsport think you\'re a fool.  I can think of no higher compliment!

"Eat it with a chopstick!"

Offline PurcyP

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 08:34:21 PM »
my friends RB powered sileighty has around 400 at the wheels

and..its mental..utterly utterly mental.

Offline re japi

• MRC Overseas Guest
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 04:57:06 AM »
Few of my friends had/have S14 drift cars. Overall balance of that car is quite good. But they said that its impossible to go straight with that car. :)

Maybe the main reason for those being popular in drift scene is that they are easy and cheap to get. And LOTS of parts available. Btw, I dont like that SR engine. You have to bang rev limiter all the time and there is no torque ;)

I have heard that FD has is quite similar handling, very tail happy. But I imagine that RX-8 would be different. Just because its more modern chassis and (I think) its taller and wider...

Btw, nowadays there is lots of rx-8 in drift scene around the world :)
Power is nothing without control. Weight is enemy of performance, handling and braking.

http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/japi_laukkanen/library/Japi?sort=3&page=1

Offline PurcyP

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 12:15:22 PM »
You see a few RX8s

there are very few rx8\'s here in the UK that have stayed with their owner for longer than one drift day.

They blame the car rather than their lack of talent and poor choice in car model, for some reason most go for the 5 speed.

my only issue is, how far do i go with the RX8, i dont want to modify it etc and then find i cant sell it, but at the same time i want to prove to others that rx8\'s are not a poor choice in drift cars.

I guess the answer to that lies when i return from the cars first drift day in late august.

Offline re japi

• MRC Overseas Guest
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 03:57:10 AM »
I would do some basic modifications. Then, if car feels good, go a little further. Maybe supercharger at some point. It think that 5speed box is because they is not much time to change gears at drifting...

Few drifters here in Finland have come to weird problem. They have modified they car so heavily that it wont pass international rules. So I suggest that what ever you do, try to follow international rules. So if you have to sell that car, you can sell it to other country...

For example, my friend has old Mercedes with massive power and its very heavily modified. Lots and lots money has gone to build that car. That car would be compatible in every drift series. Now he wants to sell it. Nobody here wants to buy it because its so expensive. And he cant sell it to other countrys cause its wont pass international rules...
Power is nothing without control. Weight is enemy of performance, handling and braking.

Offline re japi

• MRC Overseas Guest
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 04:22:27 AM »

Offline boosted

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
    • south west
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 11:23:30 AM »
That\'s a serious bit of kit! Why sell it? just use it and enjoy it for what it was built 4.
EAT SLEEP ROTOR REPEAT.

Offline PurcyP

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 12:09:21 PM »
Was thinking the same!

In terms of people choosing the 5 speed 192 version of the rx8, they think because it has a few more torques than the 6 speed on paper, it will better for drifting which is entirely wrong, overall effective power and torque on the 231 6 speed is what you want if anything.

To be honest super charging the rx8 etc i will never do, far too much money that will be used to buy a RX7, in terms of what i meant by modifying my rx8 was possibly lowering it etc, but will see if that needs doing after august.