Author Topic: Drift kart?  (Read 2126 times)

Offline Grant Monkhouse

• Karma Chameleon
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
  • I am awesome
    • View Profile
Drift kart?
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2012, 09:10:05 AM »
Just been thinking about the drift or drag cart. Basically you would have to have different sized final gear and different length chains, bigger rear gear will give you higher top end, slower acceleration, smaller will be the opposite.

Big for drag ,small for spinning the wheels up

Offline m1tch

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Drift kart?
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012, 01:44:41 PM »
Quote from: Will66;806277
250 cc Go Kart

Thats an F1 kart, their 250cc engine is around about 90bhp vs a 50ish bhp 250cc dirtbike engine, the F1 kart engine gets rebuild every race @ around £400 a time.

I think I will stay 2 stroke as its easier and also more compact, the issue being is that a large single cylinder 2 stroke is around about 250cc, multi cylinder engines are usually 4 stroke, I have seen some nice Honda V twins though, that might be compact enough.

As for the final sprocket, yeah I can change them for whatever I want, so I can just change the rear sprocket depending on if I want top end of acceleration, much easier than getting a gearup kit on a scooter engine! What cc was that scooter engine? I know that the record currently for a racing scooter is around 108mph terminal with a 125cc engine with the largest bore up kit to 178bhp, the CVT system is usually the limiting factor though.

Offline Grant Monkhouse

• Karma Chameleon
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
  • I am awesome
    • View Profile
Drift kart?
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2012, 03:02:48 PM »
50cc with a 70cc kit on it. Big carb. Racing exhaust. Had a racing crank in it too as managed to snap the crank after putting the gear kit in. Never put an air filter on it, just kept the standard air box with foam filter and drilled holes in the side and worked fine.

Installed a tachometer on it to see how high of was revving and I had it off the scale which went to 12,000 rpm!!! Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Just realised that why I love rotaries so much!! The rpms, it\'s all about the rpms!!

Offline Will66

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Drift kart?
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2012, 03:48:05 PM »
RPMs ftw!

It might be a bit large but this gnarly little sucker would do the job!
RX8 High Power, Cusco Coilovers, Dotz wheels and flames. Shoe Size 12

Apparently putting details of your car spec in your signature means the nice folks on exile-rotorsport think you\'re a fool.  I can think of no higher compliment!

"Eat it with a chopstick!"

Offline m1tch

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Drift kart?
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2012, 05:43:06 PM »
Quote from: Will66;806341
RPMs ftw!

It might be a bit large but this gnarly little sucker would do the job!

I wish I coudl afford a rotary kart engine, but they are around £3500 used

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKayagHUCw8

My minibike engines rev up to around 12k :)

Im glad you kept the OEM airbox, on a 2 stroke the intake is also tuned due to the reads opening and closing, if you had an open air filter you would lose some of the fuel from the intake charge and it would be forced out back through the carb when the reeds close, which is why those \'boost bottles\' work to smooth out the intake.

Offline splinter53

• View Profile
Drift kart?
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2012, 05:06:58 PM »
i race rotax max karts which are pretty quick ( do average speed of 60 ) round the track but can be geared to do 120. you can get a bore kit for this as well as they are a 125 2 stroke but can bore them to 175 i think <
"Second place is just the first loser"

Offline m1tch

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Drift kart?
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2012, 10:05:07 PM »
The rotax max engines are very expensive and cost a lot to rebuild, plus they are direct drive, im going to go with a bike engine as parts a cheaper and im not restricted in what I can do.

With regards to grip, I will be getting the 210mm rears and some decent Dunlop rubber used for the higher power karts. The superkarts get plenty of grip and they are around 90bhp. So I think thats my max power I can go for as any more power it might be an issue with traction.

I was looking at single cylinder engines, but now I have been told I won\'t be allowed on kart tracks I am thinking of upgrading that idea. The inline 4 engines are too wide to fit on the kart in the OEM engine position - well they do fit, but they are unstable and so they have to be mounted behind the driver.

I then got thinking about what other engines might fit and I then came across a possible answer - V twin engines - I don\'t need to worry about how long the engine is, just the width.

I have found the VFR400, VFR600 and VFR1000 engines, need to get specs on the width etc, but I found a complete VFR400 project bike for £250! the engine has around about 60bhp as stock, I will have a look around closer to the time though, still getting ideas, but I think a v twin engine might work. The issue I am coming up with regarding 2 strokes is there aren;t many large capacity single cylinder engines anymore, so it might be easy to go multi cylinder.

Offline Grant Monkhouse

• Karma Chameleon
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
  • I am awesome
    • View Profile
Drift kart?
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2012, 10:39:56 PM »
Quote from: m1tch;806365
I wish I coudl afford a rotary kart engine, but they are around £3500 used

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKayagHUCw8

My minibike engines rev up to around 12k :)

Im glad you kept the OEM airbox, on a 2 stroke the intake is also tuned due to the reads opening and closing, if you had an open air filter you would lose some of the fuel from the intake charge and it would be forced out back through the carb when the reeds close, which is why those \'boost bottles\' work to smooth out the intake.

if i had used a K&N filter i would have just re jetted the carb to compensate for the increased air. i was using a 102 mian jet, which was spot on and very big for a poxy 50cc scooter!

not all 2 strokes have reed valves, aka power valve, the reeds are after the carbs so you wouldnt lose any fuel whatsoever as the fuel wouldnt go backwards through the carb because of the suction the engine is producing from the reflective wave inside the exhaust.

in the moto GP 125cc 2 strokes once the bikes have set of and are full throttle, basically for the whole race, a servo actually holds open the Carbon reeds so that maximum air and fuel gets into the engine for more power, higher speeds.

Offline m1tch

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Drift kart?
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2012, 10:42:19 PM »
Im still tempted by a V twin engine like a VTR400, 4 strokes are easier to turbo :D

Offline re japi

• MRC Overseas Guest
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Drift kart?
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2012, 03:21:13 AM »
I have seen youtube video, cart has old Fiat engine,from Fiat127. Dont remember what was it 900cc or 1100cc. I was wondering about their choice. But that thing was fast. :)
Power is nothing without control. Weight is enemy of performance, handling and braking.

http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/japi_laukkanen/library/Japi?sort=3&page=1

Offline m1tch

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Drift kart?
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2012, 07:49:38 AM »
Im planning not to mod the OEM frame, I don\'t have any welding skills and need to keep the chassis as OEM as thats how it was designed to be with the correct strength and support etc

Offline m1tch

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Drift kart?
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2012, 10:12:00 PM »
Ive been offered a Suzuki SV650 engine - its a 650cc v twin engine.....someone has already mounted it into a kart, sounds epic and seems to drift well!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JVn13eNDD4

Offline re japi

• MRC Overseas Guest
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Drift kart?
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2012, 03:12:19 AM »
Ya, i think that it would do the job. ;) What i have heard, its a good engine. (in a bike anyways...) :)
Power is nothing without control. Weight is enemy of performance, handling and braking.

http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/japi_laukkanen/library/Japi?sort=3&page=1

Offline m1tch

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Drift kart?
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2012, 08:21:56 AM »
Quote from: re japi;807032
Ya, i think that it would do the job. ;) What i have heard, its a good engine. (in a bike anyways...) :)

Yeah I have been asking around on a bike forum, its the most common V twin engine so there is a lot of support and parts for it, need to angle the seat slightly though to offset the weight and let it fit lol

Offline Will66

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Drift kart?
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2012, 08:40:01 AM »
Looks like a cool toy, 65 bhp on carbs or 74 bhp on fuel injectors, designed to haul the kind of weight you\'re talking about, dealing with.  Plenty of torque and since I\'m guessing you\'ll be running a shorter final drive than the bike would then you\'ll have lots of spin whenever you want.  You ought to be able to feint it into drifts nicely or clutch kick it too!
RX8 High Power, Cusco Coilovers, Dotz wheels and flames. Shoe Size 12

Apparently putting details of your car spec in your signature means the nice folks on exile-rotorsport think you\'re a fool.  I can think of no higher compliment!

"Eat it with a chopstick!"