Author Topic: 2002 Bathurst Type R legit?  (Read 1760 times)

Offline Jit

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: 2002 Bathurst Type R legit?
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2018, 12:34:48 PM »
Interesting observations.

1. Gearknob. Few trains of thought here. One is indeed as you say, they’ve deliberately changed it to make it appear like a Bathurst R. Even though it looks nothing like the Bathurst R one!! Other possible train of thought is that the original one got stolen during shipping and this was all they had to replace it? That said, stock gearknobs usually get left well alone so I doubt it’s that. Finally, maybe that stock knob was too ttty so they felt like replacing it to improve the interior.

2. Front splitter is plastic and as you said looks ruined in those pics. I’d say they replaced it.

4. Device on side of dash looks like a Japanese roll card holder or reader or something similar. Wouldn’t be too concerned by that

5. Not a clue what that thing is on the passenger vent. Looks like a wierd cup holder but it’s definitely odd.

Offline chickenmadras

• Just joined!
    • Sussex
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2018, 05:10:26 PM »
car like this need to be original and exact to OEM imho for its future value.
With that in mind, I was planning on a down pipe and exhaust system to help air flow, while keeping the original exhaust in case I ever sell it in years to come. Do you think that would be an 'ok' move?

Offline boosted

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Worryless, Dream more.
    • south west
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2018, 06:38:01 PM »
Best speak to a tuner but downpipe will increase exhaust flow and with that poss boost creep which would then need a tune so apexi ecu...lol this is how it's starts you'll be 500hp single tubby in no time at all.
It's your car mind so it's purely up to what you do with just being a special edition the future value is standard.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

92 FD rx7 Twins 13.5psi. Track car
94 Westfield Se 231 rx8 street port powered. Race car
EAT SLEEP ROTOR REPEAT.

Offline Jit

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2018, 09:30:21 PM »
I think that generally speaking you will be safe with a performance downpipe and a rear section as long as you keep the stock catalytic converter in place. If you want to be doubly safe, perhaps you could pick up one of those aftermarket chipped stock ECUs from the likes of Re-a or Knightsports. If you don’t fit an aftermarket ECU That can be mapped for those modifications then you likely won’t see the full benefits. That said I still think it’s worthwhile doing as the stock downpipe is a massive restriction right next to the engine and causes a lot of heat build up in that area so it’ll end up as a decent reliability modification.

Offline chickenmadras

• Just joined!
    • Sussex
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2018, 09:38:54 AM »
She is finally at home and in bed!

A six hour drive to get home, stopping twice. It was bumpy as f**k most of the way and hammering it down with rain, but I did find a window of dry weather so was able to give it a boot.

A Japanese woman was shouting directions at me for most of the drive home, the Stereo/Satnav its touch screen and I still cant find a way of turning it off haha.

Its different to what I imagined, but I am well happy! The boost is smooth and seems to last forever, completely different from all my other imports I have previously owned. I kept running out of road, having to brake everytime the second turbo is about to kick in haha.

I have ordered two Apexi Air Filters and a Racing Beat Dual tip exhaust (to keep it OEM looking) and Decat+Downpipe.

I have to put a Cat 1 Alarm/Immobilser on it for the Insurance, but thankfully it already has the central locking motor so that has saved me a little bit of money. I went for the Clifford 650 Concept.

It also can't go over speed bumps, the front lip hits.

Thanks for your help everyone who gave me advice!

Offline chickenmadras

• Just joined!
    • Sussex
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2018, 09:42:12 AM »
Sorry about the massive pics, I'm not sure how to correct that.