Author Topic: Drivers door won't unlock  (Read 134 times)

Offline adam73bgt

• Just joined!
    • Coventry
    • View Profile
Drivers door won't unlock
« on: October 22, 2017, 05:46:15 PM »
I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with a recent issue with my FC convertible..

Went to unlock it after work one day a week or so ago and while the lock turned, the drivers door won't open. The passenger side unlocked fine but it feels as though the drivers lock won't turn enough to disengage the lock.

I've taken the door speaker out and am able to get my hand in and manipulate the rod that goes from the interior lock/unlock switch to the lock mechanism. I can pull it locked, but when pushing it to unlock it feels as though theres some resistance, the switch won't stay up in the fully unlocked position

Has anyone else had a similar issue to this and can offer any advice? Ideally I'd get the door card off but it doesn't look as though its going to be particularly easy/possible with the door closed

Cheers :)

Offline KenD

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Contributor
    • Pembrokeshire
    • View Profile
Re: Drivers door won't unlock
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 05:54:03 PM »
Been away and have just seen this.  Did you manage to sort it out or are you still stuck?

Offline adam73bgt

• Just joined!
    • Coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 08:46:06 PM »
Made some progress on it today, managed to get the door card off with the door still shut and got my hand in to manipulate the mechanism so the door does now open

The odd thing is, if you pull up on the handle with the door locked, then go to unlock the car, the key won't turn all the way and the door won't open again, so I have to reach in and move the bit in this pic with the red arrow

After which I can then turn the key, unlock and open the door. So needs a bit more investigation, I think ultimately I'll probably have to pull the mech out and have a proper look at it on the bench, see if anything is bent or broken

Offline KenD

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Contributor
    • Pembrokeshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 08:20:31 PM »
Good, at least you have made some progress.  In the process of repairing the mechanism on my drivers door exterior handle I became somewhat familiar with the door operation!

From what I can see no need to take it out.  You are missing a spring which connects the part arrowed (through the hole) to a point which is just off the top right of your picture.  The chances are that the spring has snapped or somehow come adrift and has dropped into the bottom of the door somewhere.

Below is a photo - not that clear but you can see where the spring goes

Hope this helps and that you get it sorted

Cheers
Ken
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 08:33:37 PM by KenD »

Offline adam73bgt

• Just joined!
    • Coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 09:58:26 PM »
Ah thats perfect! That definitely explains the issue I'm having, thank you very much :D

I just hope I can find that spring now and its still in a usable condition...

Offline adam73bgt

• Just joined!
    • Coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 07:29:21 PM »
Well I found the spring, but unfortunately one of the hook ends has snapped off it

What are the chances of me finding another?.. Think I may have to adapt a generic one and hope the tension is close enough to work

Offline KenD

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Contributor
    • Pembrokeshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 12:16:04 PM »
I suspect it will have to be a generic extension spring - and therefore a little trial and error may be involved!  Of course you may find Mazda have retained that spring for newer models.  Worth a try maybe?  I see there are online suppliers and you may be able to find a close match if you take some measurements of the old spring.

Let us know how you get on.  If it's happened to you then I'm sure others will have the same problem at some point.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 12:18:46 PM by KenD »

Offline clive

• MRC Founder/President
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://mazdarotaryparts.com
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 08:03:06 PM »
Thanks for the excellent info Ken,

Two things, if you have a local old fashioned motor accessory shop, see if they can match a brake spring or help from an assorted spring box which I sure they would have.

If not, whilst it will have more tension, armed with a couple of pairs of long nose pliers you may just be able to bend enough of a hook on the end to reattach what you already have.   
All the best Clive

Offline adam73bgt

• Just joined!
    • Coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 06:58:41 PM »
Cheers chaps, well I've measured it up and got a generic replacement on order, hopefully it shall do the job :) I'll report back in here how I get on

Offline adam73bgt

• Just joined!
    • Coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 10:44:33 PM »
Right so my generic spring which I bought wasn't quite the right size and ultimately didn't work..

However, someone on another forum had a brainwave and linked me this https://www.mx5parts.co.uk/door-lock-release-spring-mk1-p-1891.html

Turned up today and it looks as though the MX-5 uses the exact same spring :)

So handy thing to remember for anyone who may have this issue in future

Offline boosted

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • 5000+ posts of drivel from me lol.
    • south west
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 12:55:25 PM »
This has jogged my memory...had the exact same thing happen on the very first day of the ownership of my first rx8...spring broke and looked just like that..
I had to remove drivers door car with it locked shut...i remember swearing alot.
It happened as i pulled the door shut it was slightly ajar...my mrs pushed it shut from the outside as i went to open it again for another go...i heard the metalic tinkle as summit broke and fell off inside.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

92 FD rx7 Twins 13.5psi. Track car
94 Westfield Se 231 rx8 street port powered. Race car
EAT SLEEP ROTOR REPEAT.

Offline KenD

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Contributor
    • Pembrokeshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 04:25:22 PM »
Right so my generic spring which I bought wasn't quite the right size and ultimately didn't work..

However, someone on another forum had a brainwave and linked me this https://www.mx5parts.co.uk/door-lock-release-spring-mk1-p-1891.html

Turned up today and it looks as though the MX-5 uses the exact same spring :)

Good, glad that works for you and nice to see that a little of the RX7 lives on in the MX5  :)   One to remember.

Offline Casey

• MRC Factotum
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
  • My Links:
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 04:52:57 PM »
Good, glad that works for you and nice to see that a little of the RX7 lives on in the MX5  :)   One to remember.

On that note, when I needed a new pilot bearing to fit in the flywheel on the RX-7 FB, the Mazda Parts guy confirmed it was the identical part used in the RX-8  :great:
RX-8 230 Bridgeported: Racing Brake Disks & 4 pot front calipers,Full Racing Beat (RB) SS Exhaust system,RB ARB's F & R,RB REVI intake,Tein MonoFlex Coilovers & front strut brace.
RX-7, KIMI 1 ,1st Gen,Silver,1983 - SORN
RX-7, KIMI 2 ,^^Ditto - MOT and active