Author Topic: Cosmo 20b rebuild  (Read 4987 times)

Offline Grant Monkhouse

• Karma Chameleon
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
  • I am awesome
    • View Profile
Cosmo 20b rebuild
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2011, 04:19:58 PM »
Do you have to change the rear plate to go to an FD manual box?

Offline frank20bcosmo

• View Profile
Cosmo 20b rebuild
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2011, 05:08:08 PM »
not sure, I haven\'t looked in to it to be honest
not even thinking about that yet
one day Grant maybe ,,one day

Offline Grant Monkhouse

• Karma Chameleon
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
  • I am awesome
    • View Profile
Cosmo 20b rebuild
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2011, 05:11:18 PM »
I\'m sure it will be great to drive on the auto box anyway. I bet many people ask you what car it is and then when you smoke people at the lights they\'re shocked

Offline frank20bcosmo

• View Profile
Cosmo 20b rebuild
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2011, 06:09:31 PM »
I think the best one I can recall,
I was travelling towards home cruising at 60 when this car, I cant remember what it was nothing flashy came up behind me at speed as I saw him coming I just booted it away up to triple digits and just backed off  again,,as I resumed cruising to 60 he came up behind me as I looked in the mirror I saw him with his face up to his windscreen trying to read the Cosmo badge on the back
I bet he was on google that night reading all about  the Cosmo and what was under the bonnet that just smoked away from him,,:flamed      I was just chuckling to myself,, but yeah you are right not may people know what it is,, I am educating them slowly

Offline Grant Monkhouse

• Karma Chameleon
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
  • I am awesome
    • View Profile
Cosmo 20b rebuild
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2011, 08:19:34 PM »
I would have a Cosmo any day. Carl has one, might convince him to rent it too me for a while.

Online kev-yorks

• Chairman / MRC Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Cosmo 20b rebuild
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2011, 06:04:52 PM »
Just picked upon this thread after a enforced absence.
The auto box is the weak link in the system and If staying with it I\'d recommend a good flush of the auto systems and especially important the gear box oil cooler...........heat kills these boxes and I\'d gone through two before going manual.
If fitting a piggyback the it\'s down to PIP and what he\'s happy fitting and tuning tbh any will do the job. But watch that back end afterwards two much right foot as the power coupled with the 20b torque goes up she\'ll kick down and everything becomes lively as you\'ve found out.
The stock turbo\'s are restrictive but the first thing to do is the down pipe it\'s additional got CAT\'s in there for the sole purpose of choking everything and reducing the power so I\'d budget for these replacing if going piggyback ECU.
TBH the car crys out for the manual gearbox, its transformed with a FD box behind the 20b but thats your call. Let me know if you want talking through whats involved in the conversion.
Out of all the various stages of development the most streetable car I had was with a gt42 journal bearing turbo. Dyno sheet attatched we only ran it on low revs and 0.9bar, stock 20b porting and exhaust sleeves in place, boost was instantanious and just kept going, the FD box will take this all day without issues but the stock Auto won\'t last long at this.
Regards Kevin

Offline frank20bcosmo

• View Profile
Cosmo 20b rebuild
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2011, 08:04:15 PM »
Hi Kev, thanks for the reply,
I was going to ask Pip to do a transmission flush and change the filter,

however regarding the downpipe I have knocked out the pre-cat in the downpipe to derestrict it but somebody has suggested removing the exhaust sleeves from the block as these also restrict the gases, I have had a custom made s/s exhaust system with just 2 very slim back boxes and no mid system silencer,

can you buy a good quality down pipe from the turbo manifold to fit the cosmo or would I have to get one custom made?
I would also be really interested in seeing what is involved in a manual gearbox conversion if you can enlighten me. and what intercooler have you fitted to your cosmo as I am sure you do not have the standard unit still fitted?

thanks
Frank

Offline Prof

• Frustrated Inventor
  • MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • Rotorhead
    • View Profile
Cosmo 20b rebuild
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2011, 08:10:56 PM »
You can get aftermarket Auto transmission ECU\'s, so you could go down the route of staying auto (and getting a programmable AT ECU) and have your choice of standalone ECU\'s for the engie.

I run the Emanage Ultimate, and it will give you quite a bit of tuning potential, but it does have some limitations - all depends on your power goals I suppose.
"Plus this engine is probably one of the most volumetric engines going! It passes more air than a herd of cows eating vindaloo\'s" - courtesy of AtomicRex

Offline Speedworks

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://
Cosmo 20b rebuild
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2011, 08:33:36 PM »
AS i think an auto box sucks in any sporty car.. I would \'simply convert to manual and go stand alone.

Supra gearbox or T56 comes to mind...

Offline Mir

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Cosmo 20b rebuild
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2011, 08:59:07 PM »
If Pip can fit a supra gearbox for you than I can guarantee that you would have a bullet proof gearbox. Supra\'s gearboxes are capable of up to 1600 RWHP.

However, I do know that Pip has fitted many T56 magnums, so he might suggest that for you.

Frank, I learnt one majore principle of life and that is, if you doing something, do it once and do it right. In my honest opinion, it just does not make sense that you know in your head that something needs to be done and you leave it for the other day.

The sooner the better. Mate, go manual and get it over and done with.

Take my example, I rebuild the engine, then send the car away for ECU, now I have to send it for the wastegate and mapping. On the other hand, all these jobs could have been concluded on the very first visit the car made to WGT, and I could have saved arround a 1000 pounds in RECOVERIES :(

I hope the above make sense

Mir
I am building a Genuine Fastest Street Rotary!
No Cutting and No Removals
Love FDs. Currently own:
20b-Triple Rotor,Single turbo FD
13B- Two Rotor, 2000spec on Stock Twins-FD
13B- Two Rotor, Single Turbo FD
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngone 
It takes some money for engineering a proper 20b

My C

Offline frank20bcosmo

• View Profile
Cosmo 20b rebuild
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2011, 08:56:28 AM »
Thanks Guys

I will have a chat with Pip when I go over this week and put some costings together.

Online kev-yorks

• Chairman / MRC Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Cosmo 20b rebuild
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2011, 08:07:04 PM »
Frank down pipe is a custom job but a very easy one to fabricate.
Intercooler depends what you want and how much modification your up for the standard cooler is ok\'ish or theres the ones Dave Morris in Aus had made up that fit all the standard mounts but flow better than stock. Final option is a custom job of your own design.

The gear box manual conversion is straight forward and the fd box bolts straight onto the back of the 20b without too much work the main bits required are a FD box and clutch (must be with a lightened flywheel to bolt onto the counter weight), clutch pedal assembly & master cylinder (I used one from a Mazda 626), the front section of your prop needs mating with a fd output shaft (straight forward job for a propshaft place and not expensive) a bit of heavy guage plate and rubber suspension buffers then for a new gearbox brace. The hardest job tbh is working under the dash to get the pedal kit inplace. I\'d need to go back over my notes though to talk you through the mod 100%, but it\'s certainly no biggie for the likes of PIP or a good diy\'er could do the conversion in a weekend with the access to the tools required.
Regards Kevin

Offline frank20bcosmo

• View Profile
Cosmo 20b rebuild
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2011, 09:05:17 PM »
Thanks Kev,

I spoke to Dave Morris about the intercooler a while back but he had to get a minimum batch made to get the manufacturer interested in doing them and apparently all were sold with no others in the pipeline, shame really.

however another Cosmo owner in AUS fitted a V-Mount from an RX7 but mounted it in the same place as the original Cosmo intercooler with the aid of a couple of 45 degree bends and did not even have to remove the front bumper, another conversation with Pip me thinks

Offline Will66

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Cosmo 20b rebuild
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2011, 09:23:59 PM »
Did I read that dyno that Kev posted correctly?  1184 lb ft of torque?
RX8 High Power, Cusco Coilovers, Dotz wheels and flames. Shoe Size 12

Apparently putting details of your car spec in your signature means the nice folks on exile-rotorsport think you\'re a fool.  I can think of no higher compliment!

"Eat it with a chopstick!"

Offline Grant Monkhouse

• Karma Chameleon
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
  • I am awesome
    • View Profile
Cosmo 20b rebuild
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2011, 09:44:19 PM »
Quote from: Will66;801407
Did I read that dyno that Kev posted correctly? 1184 lb ft of torque?
It does, surely that wrong? it is still climbing too, along with the HP