Author Topic: Cosmo speedometer  (Read 2837 times)

erwin

Cosmo speedometer
« on: April 17, 2006, 10:22:43 PM »
Hi,
I\'m Erwin from Belgium and I recently imported two 13B SX Cosmo\'s out of UK, the spedo from the Cosmo that I\'m gonna drive is in UK changed from Kilometers to Miles, my question is, how can I change it back to Kilometers ?

http://sierra.messageboard.nl/9330/viewtopic.php?t=325 (pics of the classic-meeting april 9, also pics of the Cosmo)
http://www.mazda929.nl
http://www.mazda-madness.nl
http://www.mazdaclassics.nl

My cars: mazda 121 coupe 1977 (for restauration)
            mazda 929 coupe 1978 (near showroom condition)
            two 13B SX Cosmo\'s 1992 (one almost in original state)

Thanks and best regards, Erwin

Offline kev-yorks

• Chairman / MRC Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Cosmo speedometer
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 10:28:57 PM »
You\'ll probably find there\'s a speedo converter plugged in near the ecu in the passenger foot well unless its running a rev speed meter or something similar. It should be just a case of unplugging the converter or whatever. The only downside to this is you will get the jap speed limiter back again.
Kevin
Regards Kevin

erwin

Cosmo speedometer
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 09:14:30 PM »
Hi Kevin, thanks for helping,
I have removed the metal pannel to look at the ecu, there are 2 boxes, a big one on the right (i think the ecu) and a little one on the left, lots of wires and plugs, I\'m gonna try to make a picture of it and put it down here (if I know how to do that), so you can help me what I must looking after.
Regards, Erwin.

Offline kev-yorks

• Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Cosmo speedometer
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 09:34:19 PM »
Send the pics to kev@mazdarotaryclub.com doesnt sound like you\'ve found it yet though normally there\'s four wires to a converter power and earth plus signal in and out. In the passenger footwell once the carpets up the main ECU is mounted under the plate on the lefthand bulkhead you\'ve got the gearbox ECU plus a couple more. The normal place for fitting the converter delimiter is to splice into the loom where it goes to the gearbox ECU but the trouble is you never know with someone else\'s wiring.
Kevin
Regards Kevin

Offline kev-yorks

• Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Cosmo speedometer
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 08:39:05 PM »
Right Mate i could do with a close up to be sure or a high res pic. But under the smaller of the two ECU\'s there\'s a red item if this is spliced into the stock wiring as i suspect then this is the speedo converter. You may well find the stock wiring has been cut and this placed in between if so then just remove it and rejoin the wires.
Kevin
Regards Kevin

erwin

cosmo speedo
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 01:44:22 PM »
Hi Kevin, I opened the red thing, it\'s a thing where you can shunt a wire, the wire in it is not cut, there was only one shunt with it, but that\'s cut again.
Send you close-up pics later.
Regards, Erwin

erwin

Cosmo speedometer
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2006, 01:28:53 PM »
Hi guy\'s, i\'m still searching to get my speedo in kilometers, does anyone have an idea? Where can i find the "Cosmo" emblem for the back of the thrunk (left side)? Where is the push-button for on the left side from the hand-brake? What is the colour-code for the beige-brown colour at the bottem of the car (2-tone)?
Thanks and regards, Erwin

Offline kev-yorks

• Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Cosmo speedometer
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2006, 04:00:11 PM »
Been a bit busy Erwin. The red connector looks like someone has spliced in to the wiring at some time then removed whatever was there. It looks like its going to be a case of following the wiring to see where the converter has been spliced in, unless you can get in touch with whoever had the car before you. The button at the side of the handbrake is a override for the gearlinkage. Allowing you to select gear without the engine running and brake applied. There should be a sticker on the car with the paint codes but this will be in japanese. Best bet would be to take the car to a paint shop and compare the colour with a colour chip chart, if need be they will be able to mix a colour for you.
Kevin
Regards Kevin

erwin

Cosmo speedometer
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2006, 08:56:43 AM »
Thanks Kevin,
Is it correct that the Mazda part nr. for the Cosmo air-filter = HE 19-23-603-9A ?
What is the Mazda part nr. for the "Cosmo" trunk emblem, maybe some one have a second-hand for me ?

Regards, Erwin

Offline kev-yorks

• Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Cosmo speedometer
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2006, 10:18:33 AM »
They come up on Yahoo in japan quite often the badges. But your best bet is probably Newara or one of the other importers. As regards the air filter the first thing i did was ditch it for a cone filter mounted on the airflow meter which is the first easy mod for that bit more power. If you drop dave morris (DMRH on the forum) a pm pretty sure he\'d know the part number though for the panel filter.
Kevin
Regards Kevin

pintglass

What about the other way?
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 06:14:16 PM »
Hi everyone, new to cosmo ownership (bought today) and was wondering if there is a device available that converts the dash from km/h to mph?

Oh yeah and while I\'m picking your brains does anyone know if there is a way of integrating the rear fog light into the rear end of the cosmo without it looking like a dogs breakfast and spoiling that otherwise super looking back end?

Offline kev-yorks

• Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Cosmo speedometer
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2007, 06:38:04 PM »
Speedo conversion is easy any speedo converter will do the job and just splices into the wiring in the passenger side foot well. Rear fog lamp conversion another fairly easy one. Disconnect the o/s reverse lamp wiring replace the bulb with one with a red coating on then wire up a switch to power the lamp up. A few regulations you need to comply with when you wire the switch take a live from the sidelight circuit (only live when the lights are on) the fog lamps need a tell tale (warning lamp when on) the easy way of doing this is get a switch that lights up when turned on. You can wire to both reverse lamps if you want and do away with the reverse lamps if doing only one though it must be the O/S (drivers side) one that is converted. The easy way of wiring is to mount the switch in the handbrake console as there is a sidelight live already there (illuminates the switches)main live for the cig lighter and room to mount a relay under the console. It a simple job to route the wiring over the transmission tunnel from there into the boot and then on to the fog lamp:wave
Kevin
Regards Kevin

banned advertiser

Cosmo speedometer
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2007, 12:44:38 PM »
That is the correct part number for the Mazda filter, also K&N make one

Offline mikeysrx7

• MRC Full Club Member
    • Swindon
    • View Profile
Cosmo speedometer
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2007, 10:51:47 AM »
Hi Guys

My Cosmo has the fog lights integrated into the inboard tail lamps!!

Hapy motoring!!
FC Turbo II Cabrio & 13B Cosmo!! - Must be mad!

Offline mikeysrx7

• MRC Full Club Member
    • Swindon
    • View Profile
Cosmo speedometer
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2007, 10:52:57 AM »
Hi Guys

I\'m also looking to convert to MPH!!

Happy motoring!!
FC Turbo II Cabrio & 13B Cosmo!! - Must be mad!