Author Topic: Fitting Boost controller  (Read 204 times)

Offline spizwalt

• MRC Full Club Member
    • glastonbury
    • View Profile
Re: Fitting Boost controller
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2017, 08:50:53 PM »
sorry for delayed response, been super busy and this has been put on the back burned.

this set up worked perfect for a year when the engine was shipped into the uk with this set up and i was dailying it 50 miles to work. so i dont think the set up is wrong. im somerset based.

yes ok so the place to T into is in between actuator that is in picture 2 :) just curious how a bov doesn't control boost pressure because surely ate a certain PSI the intake manifold cause a vacuum to let off boost? so surely if the vacuum is getting to great before the actuator kicks in then on the waste gate the BOV will dump all air from the compressor side of the turbo? please correct me if im wrong.

Offline neil_jdmr

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
    • Northumberland
    • View Profile
    • http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a66/neil_jdmr/IMGP0420.jpg
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2017, 12:08:09 PM »
The bov has nothing to do with boost control.  I don't use a blow off valve at all.  The bov is just a pressure relief valve which is forced closed by positive boost pressure then opens when the pressure is released, ie when you press the clutch to change gear.  This then releases the excess pressure from your intake system usually with a audible whoosh. If you don't have a bov the pressure releases back through your spinning turbo blades causes the ch ch ch ch noise. This has different names such as compressor surge/stall, among many others.

Now for boost control this is what your wastegate is for and these come in internal or external form. Internal usually uses a actuator rod to open and close a flap directing exhaust gasses back away from the turbo once a desired boost is reached. An external wg is welded onto the manifold and can be vented back into the exhaust or vented to air (screamer pipe).

The bov releases pressure from the intake system and opens/closes from intake pressure/vacuum.
The wastegate directs exhaust gasses to/ from the turbo and is controlled by a boost controller through a boost solenoid.

Standard sequential, standard engine, Oem body, 1.2bar, WI

Twins retired. KKK K27 1.25bar courtesy of Jason and Stu

Offline spizwalt

• MRC Full Club Member
    • glastonbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2017, 01:36:29 AM »
appreciate clearing that up neil :) makes sense what your saying :)

Offline neil_jdmr

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
    • Northumberland
    • View Profile
    • http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a66/neil_jdmr/IMGP0420.jpg
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2017, 07:51:19 AM »
Hey no problem pal, i picked anything i now know exactly the same way on here and other forums.
Standard sequential, standard engine, Oem body, 1.2bar, WI

Twins retired. KKK K27 1.25bar courtesy of Jason and Stu