Author Topic: Reccomended Upgrades?  (Read 2747 times)

jgraham95

Reccomended Upgrades?
« on: March 22, 2011, 12:31:41 PM »
Howdfy all. Bought last summer my rx8 and have decided having it for 9 months of enjoyment bog standard was enough. Currently with the fuel prices rising in the UK im not looking to really do anything to the engine as my heavy foot would make me cry if i get much less mpg ( averaging about 14mpg) :(

but was more looking into improving handling, response time and breaking. Was curious to what people would reccomend in regard to parts they have used theirselves and how well the feel they made improvement wise?

cheers folks

Offline Arnie_O

• Major Contributor
  • Boosted RENESIS
    • South Ockendon, Essex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/aston.osborne?ref=profile
Reccomended Upgrades?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 12:39:00 PM »
Hi dude.
Welcome to the MRC and hope you enjoy your time here.

first question i guess should be whats your budget like?
Turbocharged 192ps RX-8 running Meth Injection on an Adaptronic
Fully Bridgeported 231ps RX-8 stripped for the Track
2nd Gen RX-7 TurboII on a GT35r (show winner)

jgraham95

Reccomended Upgrades?
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 12:50:23 PM »
budget i guess depends on what im gona upgrade. im not looking for something top of the range but something that will more be a noticable improvement to the factory item. i dont really drag or do stupid stunts. So in regards to money it would b hard to say. Probably around £2-2.5k

Offline Arnie_O

• Major Contributor
  • Boosted RENESIS
    • South Ockendon, Essex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/aston.osborne?ref=profile
Reccomended Upgrades?
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 11:11:06 PM »
Suspension and Handeling
Well as far as handling goes on a budget you could look at a set of Racing Beat anti roll bars (around £300-£350 from MRP IIRC)
then chuck on a set of lowering springs (around the £200 mark) that should help sharpen up your cornering with less body roll and a little lower in the ride hight.

Suspension sub total £550

Brakeing system upgrades
If your looking to improve the brakes then you have several levels of upgrade you can look at.
the first level I would recommend would consist of fitting the following.
Racing Brake Stainless Braided brake hoses (£90 from MRP)
Racing Brake ET500 Aggressive street Pads (£144 from MRP)
Cusco Cront Strut brace with Master cylinder stopper prices on this vary however i got mine from RHD Japan a while back for about £175 though they are more expensive in the UK... MRP may be able to special order this item for you)
finally flush your brake fluid for wither a good DOT5.1 (about 20 for 2 liters) or the RB600 (available from MRP)

Brake upgrade subtotal around £430

If you want to go a little further with your brakes then you can look at the Racing brake calipers and discs however the OEM setup with the above mentioned changed will be more than enough for road use. offering awesome stopping power.

Breathing Mods
next i guess you will be wanting to look at improving your responsiveness, this is a little different
the most basic steps would have to be a nice catback (this will also make your car sound quite awesome) there are many to choose from.
the likes of Toyosport is about the cheapest at around £250 or less sometimes (found via ebay) then you have the middle ground and most popular these are taken up by the Borla (from US Automotive) and the Racing Beat (from MRP) they are both around the same kind of price but as the borla price changes regular we will use the Racing Beat Rev 8 at £720 from MRP
you also have more expensive options like the Magnaflow and HKS Legamax or the more rare items from Japan from tuners like Greddy, RE-Amemiya ect but these are more like top end with the Jap imported ones coming in over £1000 usually.

now at the other end keep it basic to start with, get yourself a K&N panal air filter (between £35-£45 ebay is your friend once again) Later you can think about maybe an AEM Cold Air Intake (£250-£300) or the Raving Beat Revi airbox (£318 from MRP) and Ram cold air scoop (£199 from MRP) Combo though both Racing Beat components can be used separately. so if your budget stretches then maybe look at adding the Ram scoop wo your standard airbox with the K&N panal Filter
The AEM is loud and in your face however the Racing Beat is more of a subtle sound there are not realy any other options out there that actually work with the car, appose to making the induction system worse

Basic Breather Mods Subtotal £760 (Racing Beat Catback and K&N panel Filter though i would also add that Ram scoop for the extra £200)

Transmission
by lightening up the flywheel your going to also make your engine more responsive the item of choice in the UK is probably the Racing Beat Lightweight flywheel (£390 from yes MRP again) though there are other offerings if you want to shop around but none available from the UK. expect to be looking at over £500 from Japan or Black Halo Racing in the USA offer their own one thats slightly lighter than the Racing Beat however you will need to buy a seperate counterweight for all of thee others (i Run the BHR one but there are loads of members that run the RB version they are both very close and for price the RB-Racing Beat is probably the one to go for)

transmission Subtotal £390

well thats probably spend most of your £2k budget coming in at £2130 remember unless your handy then your going to have labour charges to fit all of this.

however if your wanting to go to the £2500 then i would add that RB Ram Air Scoop for the £200 and maybe look at adding in an Axial Flow Short Shifter again just over £200 from pettit racing UK this time) I am guessing your running a 231 however if your on the 192 then your going to need to add a 6 speed clutch when changing your flywheel as the 5 speed and 6 speed clutch components are not mix and match but if both changed together its fine.
also if your got the 192 then your short shifter will need to be the offering from RE-Amemiya ate around £120 from RHD Japan.

well thats you all spent out but a word of warning, all this work if really pointles if your cars not running in tip top condition to start with, assuming you have good compression you will maybe want to start with an oil change and depending how old your spark plugs are get then done too.
If your cars over 30\'000miles then get those coils changed if they have not already been done... dont buy coils from ebay, if you want OEM coils then change all 4 at once and your new friends at MRP are the place to go... your only real other option is the Offering from Black Halo Racing but they are more expensive than a set of OEM\'s from MRP.
the BHR coils include a set of MSD ignition HT leads (another item that would be changed)
however if your going for the OEM coils from MRP then order a set of Magnacore HT leads at the same time and take advantage of their discount when bought with coils...
this should mean your ignition system is good to got once again and your ready for all those nice shiny upgrades.

Sorry the posts epicly long but hey you now have plenty of information to be looking through.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 11:16:24 PM by Arnie_O »
Turbocharged 192ps RX-8 running Meth Injection on an Adaptronic
Fully Bridgeported 231ps RX-8 stripped for the Track
2nd Gen RX-7 TurboII on a GT35r (show winner)

Offline B.Martin

• MRC Overseas Guest
  • Major Contributor
  • 10th Anniversary Edition FC3S Turbo
    • View Profile
Reccomended Upgrades?
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 07:49:43 AM »
Well there is your answer !! Top breakdown from Arnie there!

jgraham95

Reccomended Upgrades?
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 11:52:12 AM »
Idd. Arnie cheers for taking the time to type all that up. That looks like a nice wee whack for me to start working on :)
Thanks again for the very informative, detailed information. :)

Offline rsexheaven

• View Profile
Reccomended Upgrades?
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 11:53:58 AM »
I was in the same position as you when I bought my 8 back in march. I opted for EBC discs and pads all round (i think they were red stuff, give them a call for the best to suit u). They are amazing and stop so well from cold. I also went for an exedy clutch and fidanza flywheel combo which is more than amazing. The revs shoot up so fast now. I have also done the same combo on all of my cars and gives you the most acceleration for your money (if your doing the clutch at the same time) Although be aware of the additional parts you will need if you do the flywheel like the counter weight and bolts, so do your research first.