Poll

Has your engine been replaced either in or out of warranty?

id your engine fail with Lost Compression ?
0 (0%)
id your engine fail with Waterseal Failure ?
0 (0%)
id your engine fail for another reason ?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: June 22, 2008, 10:37:43 AM

Author Topic: Poll on RX-8 engine replacment  (Read 35033 times)

Offline Will66

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Poll on RX-8 engine replacment
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2009, 12:17:11 PM »
Mine went bang, engine being replaced under extended warranty.  A lot have failed because the oil pipes that supply the rear rotor oil injectors get clogged apparently.
RX8 High Power, Cusco Coilovers, Dotz wheels and flames. Shoe Size 12

Apparently putting details of your car spec in your signature means the nice folks on exile-rotorsport think you\'re a fool.  I can think of no higher compliment!

"Eat it with a chopstick!"

Offline AMH

• MRC Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • Milton Keynes
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2009, 01:07:19 PM »
Quote from: Hayward North;589630
I have a 05 plate RX8 in at the moment that i know has been looked after all its life, as i know the owner well, and hes just poped his motor, hes well educated on rotarys and loves his cars so he looks after them.
Needless to say it requires a new block.

Any idea why the motor went? I\'m really keen to do all I can to keep mine running (obvioulsy!) as I can\'t afford any major repairs or a nice new R3. The joys of being a Banker - and now working in the public sector! :rollin
1st March 2005 - 31st Dec 2009: STRATO RX-8 WITH MEGA BLING ALLOYS - TWOC :(
Delivered 12th March 2010: AURORA BLUE RX-8 R3 :)

Offline Hayward North

• MRC Supporting Advertiser
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2009, 02:54:54 PM »
Quote from: AMH;589644
Any idea why the motor went? I\'m really keen to do all I can to keep mine running (obvioulsy!) as I can\'t afford any major repairs or a nice new R3. The joys of being a Banker - and now working in the public sector! :rollin

It looks like an oil line problem as there is a lot of oil on top of the block.
Also the symptoms were it started to smoke really bad from the entire engine, out of the wing vents, out of the back of the car, under the bonnet and inside the car so im guessing maybe a oil line has fractured and spilled oil on the top of the engine resulting in masses of smoke and now very low compression.

I think premixing would have saved the engine after the oil line fractured.

This is all guesswork as we haven\'t pulled the engine yet and dont plan to for a few weeks.
Regards
Steve Garbutt
Hayward Rotary North

Offline AMH

• MRC Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • Milton Keynes
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2009, 04:29:30 PM »
Quote from: Hayward North;589665
This is all guesswork as we haven\'t pulled the engine yet and dont plan to for a few weeks.

Keep us updated - be good to know what went wrong.

Offline RX-8888

• MRC Overseas Guest
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2009, 09:56:11 PM »
Quote from: AMH;589621
My dealer is one of the biggest in Europe and I was chatting to them a couple of weeks ago about this when my car was in for its 4 year service & MOT. They say they have had some RX-8 engines go pop but with just about all of them they had suspicions or evidence that the owners were not looking after them properly.

So drive it properly (don\'t over rev when cold and beep it a couple of times most journeys) and keep the oil topped up and should be fine. Obviously only time will tell if that\'s good advice but I swear mine is driving better than ever four years on.

Shame I\'m about to have my fifth set of replacement alloys!

I guess it all depends on the word "some" and how many that is?

Mazda US has set up a reman plant because they are having that many go.
2009 Series II RX-8 Luxury version of R3.
2011 Mazda MX-5 Special Edition Roadster Coupe.

Offline G@NDY

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2009, 10:19:34 PM »
I guess it was just a matter of time before reports of failed renesis engines came out. To be honest they are high performance cars for cheap money and people just dont look after them. I think Mazda should have upped the price and exclusivity (sp) and possibly power ;) I think mazda are going to be very busy this year. Good news for the rotary builders I think.
If you want to be Awesome then join http://www.team-awesomeness.co.nr/

Offline Hayward North

• MRC Supporting Advertiser
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2009, 04:56:25 PM »
Quote from: AMH;589677
Keep us updated - be good to know what went wrong.

Hi Ann

The Car in question was driving fine with no symptoms at all, then started to misfire really badly till is was almost undrivable, but no smoke and an engine warning light on the dash.
The owner contacted a Mazda garage that told him the handbook said it was ok to limp home.
10miles into a 15 mile journey home the car started to produce masses of oil smoke and and eventually just stoped.
On testing the engine we found almost no compression on the front rotor.
We fitted a 07 engine and the coil packs that came with the new engine to the car.
When fired up with the new engine the car had an engine warning light on, the car drove fantastic with no symptoms at all.
on further investigation on the engine warning light it turned out to be the front coil packs but the car felt fantastic to drive.
We took the old front coil packs off the old engine and fitted them to the new engine and it produced a massive misfire and the same engine warning light.
We swapped them for the old rear coil packs and the engine warning light disappeared.
The failed coil packs probably caused the engine failure.

Moral of the story ?
If you get an engine warning light sort it mediately.
If you get a missfire dont do what mazda says and drive it home, stop and get it recovered.

What reminded me to update this post is i have another RX8 with the very same symptoms of engine failure and also one that is just starting to produce a slight missfire and a occasional engine warning light.

So in the space of 2 months iv gotten 3 RX8 with similar symptoms.
Regards
Steve Garbutt
Hayward Rotary North

Offline AMH

• MRC Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • Milton Keynes
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2009, 07:07:31 PM »
Quote from: Hayward North;596574
Moral of the story ?
If you get a missfire dont do what mazda says and drive it home, stop and get it recovered.

Thanks - that\'s really good advice.

Offline RX-8888

• MRC Overseas Guest
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2009, 11:02:11 PM »
Quote from: Hayward North;596574
Hi Ann

The Car in question was driving fine with no symptoms at all, then started to misfire really badly till is was almost undrivable, but no smoke and an engine warning light on the dash.
The owner contacted a Mazda garage that told him the handbook said it was ok to limp home.
10miles into a 15 mile journey home the car started to produce masses of oil smoke and and eventually just stoped.
On testing the engine we found almost no compression on the front rotor.
We fitted a 07 engine and the coil packs that came with the new engine to the car.
When fired up with the new engine the car had an engine warning light on, the car drove fantastic with no symptoms at all.
on further investigation on the engine warning light it turned out to be the front coil packs but the car felt fantastic to drive.
We took the old front coil packs off the old engine and fitted them to the new engine and it produced a massive misfire and the same engine warning light.
We swapped them for the old rear coil packs and the engine warning light disappeared.
The failed coil packs probably caused the engine failure.

Moral of the story ?

What reminded me to update this post is i have another RX8 with the very same symptoms of engine failure and also one that is just starting to produce a slight missfire and a occasional engine warning light.

So in the space of 2 months iv gotten 3 RX8 with similar symptoms.

A bad coil pack will not cause poor engine compressions...this is wrong advice, nor will bad coils cause a lot of smoke/oil from the engine/exhaust.

Yes the 4 coils were defective..this is well known.

But for the engine to have poor or no front rotor compressions, the Apex seals were shot and possibly side a seal.

A new coil set/pack will not fix poor engine compressions.

BTW: the reason for bad compressions are a flawed MOP set up, 2 nozzles per rotor are not enough. That is why Series II and the 16X has 3 per rotor and two EMOP\'s.

YOU MUST PRE-MIX, for many owners it is too late as the damage to Apex Seals is already done in any engine over 50K (miles).
Apex seal face are wearing into a concave shape because a lack of lubricant in the middle.

Offline steve garbutt

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2009, 11:18:58 PM »
Quote from: RX-8888;596752
A bad coil pack will not cause poor engine compressions...this is wrong advice, nor will bad coils cause a lot of smoke/oil from the engine/exhaust.

Yes the 4 coils were defective..this is well known.

But for the engine to have poor or no front rotor compressions, the Apex seals were shot and possibly side a seal.

A new coil set/pack will not fix poor engine compressions.

BTW: the reason for bad compressions are a flawed MOP set up, 2 nozzles per rotor are not enough. That is why Series II and the 16X has 3 per rotor and two EMOP\'s.

YOU MUST PRE-MIX, for many owners it is too late as the damage to Apex Seals is already done in any engine over 50K (miles).
Apex seal face are wearing into a concave shape because a lack of lubricant in the middle.

A failed coilpack was not blamed for poor engine compression.
Driving for 10+ miles on one rotor was sugested it may have contributed to the engine failure.
It also burnt and blocked the cat.

Not driving a car with the engine management light on is not wrong advice imo.
Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy.
Steve@mazdarotaryclub.com

Offline steve garbutt

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2009, 11:19:46 PM »
also the coils were not blamed for the smoke, the failed engine was blamed for the smoke.

Steve
Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy.
Steve@mazdarotaryclub.com

Offline RX-8888

• MRC Overseas Guest
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2009, 11:25:33 PM »
As I said coils are well known to cause a miss-fire and CEL Light.

The OP appeared to link it a little closely to compressions, they are two totally separate issues that are not related.

Gavin_RX8

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2009, 11:32:33 PM »
Hi, i\'ve had my 2003 RX8 for about 6 months, is less than 26k milage at the moment and reading this thread is slightly worrying for me, as it is the first i have heard about pre-mixing. Time to use the search function i think, just hope i\'ve caught it in time...

Offline AMH

• MRC Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • Milton Keynes
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2009, 11:47:59 PM »
Quote from: Gavin_RX8;597058
Hi, i\'ve had my 2003 RX8 for about 6 months, is less than 26k milage at the moment and reading this thread is slightly worrying for me, as it is the first i have heard about pre-mixing. Time to use the search function i think, just hope i\'ve caught it in time...

Not sure you\'ll find anything Gavin - I think this is the first time I\'ve heard of this.

I\'ve got a 2004 RX-8 with 36k on the clock and it\'s in at the dealers for some replacement alloys next week so I\'ll ask them about it.

I won\'t do anything Mazda haven\'t recormended or approved as if I do have a problem in future they won\'t help if I\'ve gone against their recormendations. Doesn\'t mean it\'s not a good thing to do - I just have a really good relationship with my dealer so I trust them to give me the best advice. Plus I\'ve got extended warrenty so I have to be careful if I want to rely on that in future.

I\'ll let you know what they say.

And welcome to MRC Gavin! :wave

Gavin_RX8

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2009, 12:06:48 AM »
Thanks for the welcome! I dont have ann extended warranty to worry about, but finding the cash for an engine rebuild could prove to be a problem so will have to keep an eye on this one.