Poll

Has your engine been replaced either in or out of warranty?

id your engine fail with Lost Compression ?
0 (0%)
id your engine fail with Waterseal Failure ?
0 (0%)
id your engine fail for another reason ?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: June 22, 2008, 10:37:43 AM

Author Topic: Poll on RX-8 engine replacment  (Read 33194 times)

Offline clive

• MRC Founder/President
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://mazdarotaryparts.com
Poll on RX-8 engine replacment
« on: June 08, 2008, 10:36:20 AM »
I am trying to gain feedback on the amount of engines that have been lost in RX-8\'s and why, whilst I realise this will not be completely proportionate to the vehicles out on the road this poll may at least give us a feel.

Please click on the poll above if you have had a replacement engine due to Water seal failure, loss of compression, or "other"

If other please click the poll and then state below,

Also if through loss off compression, please state milage below.

Please could I ask that only people who have experienced failure of some type that has actually led to engine replacement either in or out of warranty please,

Many thanks for your help
All the best Clive

Offline RX-8888

• MRC Overseas Guest
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 01:03:20 PM »
I trust Clive won\'t mind me adding in some related information.

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated, and just to keep you up to speed...

Mazda North America (MNAO) have just announced and extended engine warranty \'core\' for all RX-8 RENESIS Engines, the core is rotors, seals, bearings, eccentric shaft and housings.

This warranty period is 8 years or 100,000 miles (160,000KM), and is retrospective for ALL RX-8\'s ...Including the soon to be released face-lift (09) RX-8.

MNAO have also just opened a MMC (Mazda Japan) staff trained
re-manufacturing plant in the US for RENESIS Rebuilds.

Mazda Canada has also announced the same 8 year warranty.

We have had quite a number of engine failures here in Australia, ignition issues and are petitioning Mazda Australia for a similar extended warranty plan.
Presently we have a 3 year unlimited kilometer scheme.

Thanks
Ash
2009 Series II RX-8 Luxury version of R3.
2011 Mazda MX-5 Special Edition Roadster Coupe.

Offline AMH

• MRC Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • Milton Keynes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 01:32:14 PM »
I don\'t think anyone on MRC has had a replacement engine in an 8 - you might want to ask the guys on the RX-8 Owners Club.

My dealer is one of the biggest in Europe and they have only had one - a woman who didn\'t check or fill up her oil!
1st March 2005 - 31st Dec 2009: STRATO RX-8 WITH MEGA BLING ALLOYS - TWOC :(
Delivered 12th March 2010: AURORA BLUE RX-8 R3 :)

Offline iaint

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 10:38:36 AM »
Quote from: AMH;506235
I don\'t think anyone on MRC has had a replacement engine in an 8 - you might want to ask the guys on the RX-8 Owners Club.

My dealer is one of the biggest in Europe and they have only had one - a woman who didn\'t check or fill up her oil!

Women eh?  :Giggle

"The way to do is to be." - Lao Tzu

essexgirlracer

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 12:51:31 PM »
i havent heard of many 8\'s going, there are some running fine with 200k on the clock

Offline clive

• MRC Founder/President
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 05:31:50 PM »
After contacting Mazda I have been issued the following information for publication conserning the warrenty length of U/K and Europe RX-8\'s

Thank you for your  e-mail dated 13 June 2008 addressed to a number of Mazda Motors UK Limited employees.  
 On behalf of everyone that you addressed I will be as open and honest with you as I possibly can  in respect of your enquiry.

The extended warranty in the US was taken on commercial grounds to help boost RX-8 sales in the States and to match competitor warranties, the basic warranty in the States remains at three years, 60,000 miles with the balance being an aftermarket warranty.  The US market is very different to ours in the UK and Europe and extended warranty terms are not unusual as a marketing initiative to drive sales.

In the UK and Europe we believe that a three year warranty is both competitive and in line with the market expectations and we do not anticipate changing that position.  Mazda has always had a very good reputation for reliability and durability throughout Europe which has been evident through a number of notable awards such as JD Power Customer Satisfaction, and it is this level of reliability that will continue with future product.

I would stress that if a UK Mazda RX-8 customer experiences an engine failure outside of the 3 year / 60,000 mile warranty, due to a manufacturing defect, we will always look at each case and where appropriate assist customers with their repair costs.  Although to date the number of such cases is very low, we will continue to apply this policy.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 09:30:25 AM by clive »
All the best Clive

Offline Red and Single

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 08:20:49 PM »
Will they disclose the number of failures I wonder ?

If it\'s low enough it would be good publicity in a time when cars with poor economy are suffering for sales and value thanks to the escalating fuel costs.
Dave Hughes
13.352 @ 109.03mph (running 0.75 bar  :rollin )
Red \'95 Type R T04S & Bare Arsed  :chat

Offline m1tch

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 10:09:36 PM »
Quote from: essexgirlracer;509617
i havent heard of many 8\'s going, there are some running fine with 200k on the clock

Probably cause of the fact that they arn\'t turboed, I mean if you look at the RX7 and RXs before that, the FC turbo II, mild boost, 100-125k, FD, higher boost with twin turbos, 75kish. So basically the ammount of boost put into a rotary is inversly proportional to the engine life, ie less boost is longer engine life :)

Personally I think they should put the turbo back onto the rotary, you don\'t buy a rotary for fuel economy now do you?

Offline clive

• MRC Founder/President
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 09:40:29 AM »
Quote from: Red and Single;513240
Will they disclose the number of failures I wonder ?

If it\'s low enough it would be good publicity in a time when cars with poor economy are suffering for sales and value thanks to the escalating fuel costs.

It\'s a very good point but we could probably only ever get findings from the first couple of years even if they would disclose this because engines have now been rebuilt or changed out of warranty so we can never get a true figure,

One thing is apparent is that with the info I already had plus the polls on here and the RX80C the number of complete engine replacements is very very low in proportion to the amount out on our roads when I think that around 30,000 are out there romping around here and Europe.
All the best Clive

Offline Will66

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 03:10:01 PM »
From talking to some of the guys who have had their motors replaced some of the issues are to do with the Nikasil coated housings, similar in fact to what happened with either BMWs M52 or M54 engine (can\'t remember which one but it was their straight six).  There were faults with a few on manufacteur and this has resulted in the housing breaking down and loss of compression leading to needing a new motor.  It\'s certainly a question very much of "if" and not "when" the engine will need rebuilding.
RX8 High Power, Cusco Coilovers, Dotz wheels and flames. Shoe Size 12

Apparently putting details of your car spec in your signature means the nice folks on exile-rotorsport think you\'re a fool.  I can think of no higher compliment!

"Eat it with a chopstick!"

Offline RX-8888

• MRC Overseas Guest
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 03:57:32 AM »
A year later and Engines are "popping" like flies in the US and everywhere else.
The real flaw are two fold, carbon and apex seal lubrication.

Owners are not Squirting the RPM\'s out high and often enough, too much Carbon is jamming Seal Springs.

But more seriously the centre of the Apex seal is not being lubricated, thats why the big changes to the Series 2 RENESIS.

So even if you get a new engine from Mazda it\'s not going to change the internal flaw in your engine (series 1 RENESIS).
No matter how many PCM flashes you have had the oil is just not making it to the centre of the Apex seal tip and this is wearing into a concave apex seal which is blowing back and hence poor compressions.

I suggest anyone with a new or low mileage 8 engine to start pre-mixing a good quality 2stroke oil into your fuel at 3 mils per litre, anything less and you are wasting your time.

If you have an old engine over 30,000 miles forget it, the damage is done.,sorry.

And NO, Mazda will not fit a Series II (R3) RENESIS into a Series I car as the engine electrics have slightly changes and PCM. Electric Metering Oil Pumps, etc.
They just won\'t do it.

Offline RX-8888

• MRC Overseas Guest
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 04:00:51 AM »
Quote from: clive;513299
It\'s a very good point but we could probably only ever get findings from the first couple of years even if they would disclose this because engines have now been rebuilt or changed out of warranty so we can never get a true figure,

One thing is apparent is that with the info I already had plus the polls on here and the RX80C the number of complete engine replacements is very very low in proportion to the amount out on our roads when I think that around 30,000 are out there romping around here and Europe.

Clive the World Wide Engine Count replacement is now 50,000, about one third of the cars made....Mazda NOT happy...

So much for the Bulldust MME told you....

Offline AMH

• MRC Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
    • Milton Keynes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2009, 11:51:08 AM »
My dealer is one of the biggest in Europe and I was chatting to them a couple of weeks ago about this when my car was in for its 4 year service & MOT. They say they have had some RX-8 engines go pop but with just about all of them they had suspicions or evidence that the owners were not looking after them properly.

So drive it properly (don\'t over rev when cold and beep it a couple of times most journeys) and keep the oil topped up and should be fine. Obviously only time will tell if that\'s good advice but I swear mine is driving better than ever four years on.

Shame I\'m about to have my fifth set of replacement alloys!
1st March 2005 - 31st Dec 2009: STRATO RX-8 WITH MEGA BLING ALLOYS - TWOC :(
Delivered 12th March 2010: AURORA BLUE RX-8 R3 :)

Offline Hayward North

• MRC Supporting Advertiser
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 12:09:23 PM »
I have a 05 plate RX8 in at the moment that i know has been looked after all its life, as i know the owner well, and hes just poped his motor, hes well educated on rotarys and loves his cars so he looks after them.
Needless to say it requires a new block.
Regards
Steve Garbutt
Hayward Rotary North

Offline Brett

• Administrator
  • MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fc3s.co.uk/
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 12:13:09 PM »
Is the oil metering system significantly different in the Renisis then?
At the end of the day, it\'s meant to be fun - not a political movement! :burnout
[xbox.card]BrettMRC[/xbox.card]