Author Topic: KIMI 2 - Series 2 FB  (Read 1509 times)

Offline Casey

• MRC Factotum
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
  • My Links:
    • View Profile
Re: KIMI 2 - Series 2 FB
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2015, 03:44:52 PM »
Ian Mothersole and I spent a whole day on Monday on KIMI 2. Our plan was to focus on the doing what was needed to get her moving and stopping on her own power. So, engine, transmission and brakes.

Firstly, we  took out the spark plugs which looked very oily, so cleaned them up, squirted a little 2T into the holes and turned the engine over by hand (nice chuffs heard). Coolant looked very clean and blue - topped up with a little Bluecol. Fresh fuel into the tank and ran the pump for a while. Replaced the plugs and tried to start her - she turned over but no sign of firing. We took the plugs out a 2nd time, cleaned them again and checked sparks - OK. Plugs back in and, with a little coaxing, the engine fired up and ran nicely  :), getting up to temperature a little slowly as the viscous fan seems to running flat out - I had the same problem with KIMI 1! I suspect the initial problem in firing was probably stale fuel in the carb. We let her run for a while, then changed the oil and filter.

Next, we knew we had a hydraulic issue with the clutch as there was no fluid in the master at all. Suspecting the slave to be at fault (and I had a spare to fit), we removed the old slave and immediately noticed a problem with the clutch release fork, which was moving about in ways it shouldn't - like sideways! So our plans for the day changed and we decided to drop the transmission out, a fun job on axle stands, but we got the job done, to find (as suspected) a cracked fork.....

Anyone happen to have one of these going spare? Or a good source; one of the breakers, RX Motors or Jimmy's?

Gearbox is out...

We ran out of time to do much more, but will have a good look at the clutch and pressure plate for wear and decide whether to replace. We'll replace the release bearing while we are at it - is there anything else worth doing/checking whilst the gearbox is off?

I've also ordered a new set of plugs and a new Varta battery  :)
RX-8 230 Bridgeported: Racing Brake Disks & 4 pot front calipers,Full Racing Beat (RB) SS Exhaust system,RB ARB's F & R,RB REVI intake,Tein MonoFlex Coilovers & front strut brace.
RX-7, KIMI 1 ,1st Gen,Silver,1983 - SORN
RX-7, KIMI 2 ,^^Ditto - MOT and active

Offline re japi

• MRC Overseas Guest
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2015, 03:49:44 AM »
Wow, thats weird...  :c029:
Power is nothing without control. Weight is enemy of performance, handling and braking.

http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/japi_laukkanen/library/Japi?sort=3&page=1

Offline boosted

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • oh my look at my paintjob..
    • south west
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2015, 06:21:05 AM »
Might be worth doing that rear oil seal whilst out.
92 FD rx7 Twins 13.5psi. Track car
94 Westfield Se 231 rx8 street port powered. Race car
EAT SLEEP ROTOR REPEAT.

Offline Gabor

• MRC Full Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gaborekes.com
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2015, 11:31:28 AM »
Hi Casey,

I might have a spare fork in my garage somewhere. I remember seeing one.
Will check today afternoon.
Btw. the car looks nice!

Thanks,

Gabor

Offline Casey

• MRC Factotum
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
  • My Links:
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2015, 11:37:24 AM »
Hi Gabor - it would be brilliant if you could lay your hands on a clutch fork!

Plan is to remove clutch and pressure plate tomorrow and inspect them and the flywheel. I'm assuming the flywheel nut will be like the RX-8, big and TIGHT? If so, and no signs of oil, the rear bearing may have to wait  :)
RX-8 230 Bridgeported: Racing Brake Disks & 4 pot front calipers,Full Racing Beat (RB) SS Exhaust system,RB ARB's F & R,RB REVI intake,Tein MonoFlex Coilovers & front strut brace.

Offline Gabor

• MRC Full Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gaborekes.com
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2015, 02:07:42 PM »
Yes it is one of those big bolts unfortunately. :)

Offline re japi

• MRC Overseas Guest
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2015, 02:40:00 PM »
Yes, flywheel nut IS big and tight. Plus it has been there 30 years, if engine is not rebuilded, so its very tight :)
Power is nothing without control. Weight is enemy of performance, handling and braking.

Offline Ian.Mothersole

• RX-8 Owners Club Shopkeeper
  • MRC Full Club Member
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • RX-8OC Shop
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2015, 12:34:40 PM »
No signs of any oil, so I don't think we will be attempting to remove the flywheel nut.

We have taken the clutch off for inspection, unfortunately it has seen better days and will need replacing. I think Malcolm has a photo.
Ian.M - Keep It Simple!
RX-8 231, Velocity Red
Hayward Rotary ported engine; Racing Beat exhaust, flywheel, air duct, and anti-roll bars; Cusco front strut bar; Eibach springs, and wheel spacers; AxialFlow short shifter; Prodrive PZ spoiler.

Offline shaunwil

• Extra Special Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2015, 12:42:54 PM »
I might have a clutch and pressure plate from when I bought the 1st gen. Will have a rummage when I get home.

Shaun
1994 White FD with A-spec GT3574R - 358bhp at the hubs at 0.9bar :3gears-lh
2003 Mondeo 2lt 130ps Diesel Estate Daily :driving

Offline Casey

• MRC Factotum
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
  • My Links:
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2015, 12:00:07 PM »
Progress report;

Many thanks to Shaun and Gabor for trying to locate some parts we needed, but no luck  :(

- So, a load of stuff ordered from RockAuto, including new Exedy clutch kit (pressure plate, disk, release bearing and alignment tool at great price!)

- Tim at RX-Motors thinks he has a clutch fork - if so, I can collect when passing his place in early July

- Have been in touch with a mobile welder in nearby Ipswich who has given an acceptable quote to fix the three main rust areas. He's on holiday now but I plan to get him to do the work in July.

- Brakes seem to be sorted, calipers all removed, cleaned and freed up (one caliper replaced with one form KIMI 1 for the moment), pads checked, brake fluid replaced.

Offline shaunwil

• Extra Special Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2015, 12:37:13 PM »
Where the clutch parts ok ??

Shaun
1994 White FD with A-spec GT3574R - 358bhp at the hubs at 0.9bar :3gears-lh
2003 Mondeo 2lt 130ps Diesel Estate Daily :driving

Offline Casey

• MRC Factotum
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
  • My Links:
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2015, 01:08:16 PM »
Sorry shaun, I forgot to get back to you. Yes, the clutch hydraulic parts are perfect, many thanks indeed. It was whilst fitting the slave that we realised that the clutch fork wasn't right (all floppy!) and led to the gearbox removal. We've yet to fit the master, but physically, it is the same.

Many thanks, those parts were much appreciated!

Offline Casey

• MRC Factotum
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
  • My Links:
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2015, 12:11:13 AM »
Brief update;

1. Tim at RX-Motors came up trumps and I picked up a replacement clutch release fork from him when passing his place in Salisbury recently.

2. Cause of the broken fork discovered - the release bearing had corroded onto the guide shaft  :( Combination of poor choice of grease (copper grease) and lack of use of clutch, standing idle for several years. Was a big job to remove, a puller wouldn't budge it, so cutting grinding required to remove. Luckily, some fine emery paper removed the corrosion on the guide shaft, so it can be reused. Ian and I had to remove the transmission front bearing cover place to get access to do this, only to discover a very mangled end-float shim fall out! I guess that must have been caused when (re)-assembled at some point in the past.

Corroded on clutch release bearing;

At last!

Inner bearing surface after removal

After clean up;

I have the service manual which describes the method to measure for the required shim thickness (depth gauge on order to do this). The Mazda parts list shows two thicknesses of shims that can be used to take up the end-float. Trouble is, Mazda only have the thicker of the two available, the thinner one being obsolete. Fingers crossed.....

3. We had a new pilot bearing and oil seal in the new Exedy clutch kit, so decided to remove the old oil seal and bearing. The seal came out OK (and certainly needed replacing) but the pilot bearing was a right pain to remove. Even with a "blind" internal puller it took ages to shift it, but it came out eventually. Problem was the old one had an o/d of 20mm, the new one was 21mm, so no way was it going to fit. Cue visit to Mazda dealer and ordered new seal and bearing from European warehouse - £21.04. Should arrive next week  :). Apparently, this not an obsolete Mazda part - is the same bearing used in the RENESIS engine? Just curious.

4. Three areas of the car required some welding, so we arranged for a local mobile welder to do the work today. Nice chap, job done, but not as neat as we would have liked. Ah well, at least it's done and functional, and all areas are hidden when the doors and rear hatch closed. Now prepped and painted with POR15 for protection, but some further fettling required later.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 09:15:57 PM by Casey »

Offline Casey

• MRC Factotum
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
  • My Links:
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2015, 09:45:28 PM »
UPDATE - she moved under her own power today  :D :D  :D  :D  :D

Welding done: not overly pretty, but functional, at least we now have a waterproof boot!

New Exedy clutch now fitted, plus new clutch master and and slave units installed (thanks shaunwil).

Huge thanks to myatt - Keith - for the shim we needed to reassemble the transmission front plate. A 2nd hand clutch fork was sourced from Tim at RX-Motors. New release bearing, new pilot bearing and oil seal installed from the Exedy kit.

Installing the gearbox was a pig of a job, the gearbox just didn't want to engage, depite much careful alignment and wiggling. It took ages, but we got there in the end!

It took three attempts on the starter to get her going from cold this morning. We then left her for a couple of hours whilst we did some further work and this was the video I took as we started her about 2 hours later - Ian in the driver's seat - she fires up straight away! After this, she also started up another three times, right on the button  :D

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z83SuB6HYc0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z83SuB6HYc0</a>

I got so carried away, I forgot to video the car moving in 1st and reverse  :-[  - but moving the car did confirm we had a badly sticking front driver's side caliper. I've now removed that and its piston - doesn't look too bad inside so I'm going to clean it up and use a rebuild seal kit before reinstalling.

Once we've sorted and checked the brakes we need a new windscreen. Then we'l get her to an MOT station for a check...hopefully sometime in August.

Really chuffed with the progress today  :D

Offline re japi

• MRC Overseas Guest
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2015, 05:21:31 AM »
Nice! Good job. :)