Author Topic: "KIMI" - The RPM 1st Gen S2 (with bits of S3...)  (Read 17926 times)

Offline re japi

• MRC Overseas Guest
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: "KIMI" - The RPM 1st Gen S2 (with bits of S3...)
« Reply #360 on: January 09, 2015, 08:17:49 AM »
Any updates??? :)

Just went thru this thread, again. Stunning work even thought you had some problems. :)
But I think I missed something. Was your engine in running condition or did you rebuild it?
And is that diff s2 or s3, how many splines in axles?

Anyways, very good job :)
Power is nothing without control. Weight is enemy of performance, handling and braking.

http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/japi_laukkanen/library/Japi?sort=3&page=1

Offline Casey

• MRC Factotum
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
  • My Links:
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 09, 2015, 11:17:00 AM »
Hi Jarno  8) - progress has been slower than I would have liked, but I deliberately haven't set myself any deadlines as I really enjoy working on the car when I do get some spare time. Diff and rear axle are S2 and I ran the car on the road for a year after an initial "quick fix" period, just to shakedown any possible issues. That revealed a rear axle seal leak, brake binding, diff housing corrosion, failed clutch slave cylinder, but the engine pulled really well (160k miles on the clock with undocumented rebuild around 90k). Having enjoyed some driving on the road I decided she was good enough to do a much more thorough restoration, primarily to sort out the rust underside (which isn't too bad for a 31 year old car!), and that's still the current focus of work.

A few pics of work since the last update:-

I decided the diff and axle were salvageable, so got a local machine shop to weld up the holes and cut a new thread for the fill plug to fit a proper bolt with crush washer. Once I got that back I thoroughly cleaned the whole axle and diff housing and gave them both the full POR-15 treatment.

After clean up:

Axle housing after POR-15

Diff, before and after;

Suspension arms going through the POR-15 treatment, ready for Energy Suspension re-bushing;

Fuel straps getting the POR-15...

RX-8 230 Bridgeported: Racing Brake Disks & 4 pot front calipers,Full Racing Beat (RB) SS Exhaust system,RB ARB's F & R,RB REVI intake,Tein MonoFlex Coilovers & front strut brace.
RX-7, KIMI 1 ,1st Gen,Silver,1983 - SORN
RX-7, KIMI 2 ,^^Ditto - MOT and active

Offline boosted

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
  • oh my look at my paintjob..
    • south west
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 09, 2015, 11:24:11 AM »
Had not seen this thread before!  :13: :00123102: had a good read exceeeeelent thread. hoping to see this 1 day .....and have a go! :3some:
92 FD rx7 Twins 13.5psi. Track car
94 Westfield Se 231 rx8 street port powered. Race car
EAT SLEEP ROTOR REPEAT.

Offline re japi

• MRC Overseas Guest
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 09, 2015, 11:38:09 AM »
Awesome  :13:
How much that Energy Suspension bushing cost, and where did you buy it?
Ya, shakedown was a good idea. Quite interesting is that your car seems to be in very good condition. I have seen few UK FB project pictures ;)
I wasnt sure what you did to diff. So thats why I was curious ;) Do you want to buy s3 diff with 5.125 and lsd ;)
Power is nothing without control. Weight is enemy of performance, handling and braking.

Offline C J R

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 09, 2015, 12:35:50 PM »
Well done Malcolm, Good to see your still making progress.

No deadlines but which shows will you bring it to in 2015 !!!!  >:D

Offline Casey

• MRC Factotum
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
  • My Links:
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 09, 2015, 03:26:18 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys!

@C J R - it would be a miracle if I made to to any shows this year, so much to do. Contemplating doing a full POR-15 fuel tank refurb, especially after watching the legendary Aaron Cake refurb his RX-5 Cosmo tank. It took him DAYS with all the cleaning and prep work, but the result was stunning. I've just got a mini usb camera which I'm going to use to inspect the interior of the tank to see what it looks like - expecting to see a lot of corrosion on the top inside....

@re_japi, FULL set of Energy Suspension bushes cost £145, inc shipping from USA. I don't think the S3 diff is compatible with the S2 axle and half shafts? If it was, I would be interested!

@boosted, it was great to be able to get to Rotorstock a couple of years back, giving a few other guys the chance to drive it without worrying about road insurance. I was very surprised how well it handled on the sprint circuit in comparison to the RX-8, not bad at all for a 30yr old  (the car that is!)
RX-8 230 Bridgeported: Racing Brake Disks & 4 pot front calipers,Full Racing Beat (RB) SS Exhaust system,RB ARB's F & R,RB REVI intake,Tein MonoFlex Coilovers & front strut brace.

Offline Casey

• MRC Factotum
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
  • My Links:
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 09, 2015, 03:43:23 PM »
With this project I'm very keen to try and lean some new skills and gain better mechanical experience. I've done simple jobs on most of my cars in the past but nothing on this scale. As an example I thought it would be a nice idea to learn about electro-plating (not done any since Chemistry back in school days). So, i bought a "Gateros" plating kit and decided to have a go at cleaning up the suspension bolts. Here's the results; right hand one has been mechanically cleaned but not plated, the rest have been plated. Quite pleased with the outcome - even though they will be pretty well invisible when back on the car!

Offline re japi

• MRC Overseas Guest
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 09, 2015, 03:50:40 PM »
Yes, propshaft flange is different. And driveshafts are different. S2 has 24 splines and are smaller shafts with smaller outer bearing and S3 has 26 splines with bigger shafts with bigger outer bearing.

But you can fit S3 diff to S2 housing with 24 spline side gears made in Oz (unknown quality) are about £165 plus post. One UK gentlemen helped me alot to figure out this :D

And thanks for info about those bushes :)

Offline rote8

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: January 09, 2015, 05:00:03 PM »
Liking the attention to detail Malcolm. And all respect for the time and effort you are making, on what was originally a joint project.
RX of the 8 variety.
Now totally Shy, courtesy of Mazdaspeed body kit, Dotz wheels, large brake kit and custom \'bull bars\'.

Offline Casey

• MRC Factotum
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
  • My Links:
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: January 26, 2015, 06:56:49 PM »
Slow progress still, but I bought some bits from re_japi in Finland, as they were in better condition than the parts on Kimi. Amongst the parts were a pair of rear light clusters, with some before and after clean-up pics.

Not much I know, but every step is getting me towards my goal  :)

Top cluster as recieved, bottom one after some cleaning

Offline Casey

• MRC Factotum
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
  • My Links:
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: January 27, 2015, 12:05:49 AM »
This also arrived from Finland - much better condition than the current one in Kimi  :)

Offline re japi

• MRC Overseas Guest
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: January 27, 2015, 05:23:46 AM »
We are glad that you liked those parts mate :)

Offline Casey

• MRC Factotum
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
  • My Links:
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: June 16, 2015, 11:44:55 AM »
Just letting people know that slow progress is still taking place on KIMI  :)

More derusting and POR15 treatment over the last full weeks. Fuel tank ready to go back on with repaired sender and refurbed straps. Fuel pump checked for fuel delivery volume and passed with flying colours. Pic below of test rig  :)