Author Topic: "KIMI" - The RPM 1st Gen S2 (with bits of S3...)  (Read 17927 times)

Offline Casey

• MRC Factotum
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
  • My Links:
    • View Profile
"KIMI" - The RPM 1st Gen S2 (with bits of S3...)
« on: April 02, 2011, 08:47:05 PM »
Some of you will know that I purchased a 1983 (with 1985 bodyshell) Silver 1st Gen which had been owned from new by John Odd, a former MRC member. Sadly, John recently passed away and his car was put up for sale by his widow. The car was transported down from Yorkshire on 29th March 2011 and now sits (for the time being) in my double garage, alongside my RX-8 :). The car did have an MOT until 23rd March 2011, but has been on SORN for a year or so, due to John Odd\'s illness.

The car\'s bodywork is generally in very good condition, with just surface rust in a few places. There does not appear to be any need for welding work as the main structure appears solid. As far as we can tell, John bought a "C" Reg S3 in 1995 and arranged for the S2 running gear to be transplanted into the bodyshell of the "donor" S3, reasons inknown.

The engine runs well but, due to the SORN and no MOT, we\'ve only been able to move the car a short distance in 1st and reverse, but all seems well. The brakes are binding a bit, probably due to lack of use, but there are NEW pads in place all round. The wheelrims are in a very poor state, but we also have a spare set of rims with the car which look far better. We\'ve got a different brand of tyre on each corner too :eek:

The plan is for the car to be shared with 3 other MRC members; Seanp, Will66 and Hypothermia. Our initial strategy is to clean the car up from a year\'s worth of grime, do a full mechanical check and service, get a fresh MOT and then maybe get her onto a ramp to deal with the underside surface rust before it takes hold.

The project started today when 3 of us; I, Will66 and Seanp spent 4-5 hours cleaning her inside and out, plus a quick cleanup in the engine bay. We\'ve also taken out the back seats to give them a thorough clean and inspect around the inside of the wheel arches. Thankfully, there is only a small trace of rust on the nearside arch, the offside looks like it just left the factory!

The car is now back in my garage and up on 4 axle stands with all 4 wheels removed, ready for some serious under arch cleaning and brake work.

So far, the car is beginning to look better than I\'d hoped for. We\'ve found lots of little things that need doing, but all fairly basic stuff, nothing major spotted today. A few pictures after the first wash, no claying or waxing yet......

[/url]

[/url]
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 03:57:20 PM by Casey »
RX-8 230 Bridgeported: Racing Brake Disks & 4 pot front calipers,Full Racing Beat (RB) SS Exhaust system,RB ARB's F & R,RB REVI intake,Tein MonoFlex Coilovers & front strut brace.
RX-7, KIMI 1 ,1st Gen,Silver,1983 - SORN
RX-7, KIMI 2 ,^^Ditto - MOT and active

Offline captainbizzaro

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 08:52:04 PM »
Welcome to the slippery slope that is 1st gen ownership-tell your partners/wives to get used to smelling of fuel. You will never have so much fun with your clothes on that is a fact.

Offline kev-yorks

• Chairman / MRC Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 08:53:59 PM »
Where you all in white suits Malc? If so i bet the locals thought CSI had desended on them:Giggle. Being serious she\'s looking good, i think most of my early gen parts supply have gone now but anything your short of give me a shout you never know.
Regards Kevin

Offline syebba

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 08:54:17 PM »
Looks to be very smart.
Maybe rear valence iffy?change the aerial,& back box is\'nt standard[should have 2 exit pipes].
Always fun cleaning up a new acquisition.

Offline syebba

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 08:55:04 PM »
Quote from: captainbizzaro;753380
Welcome to the slippery slope that is 1st gen ownership-tell your partners/wives to get used to smelling of fuel. You will never have so much fun with your clothes on that is a fact.

Hehe:evillaugh

Offline Ian65

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 08:59:19 PM »
Glad you got it home safely...
He must have loved that car to go to the trouble of re-shelling it... what a strange thing to do.

Offline captainbizzaro

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 09:05:42 PM »
Quote from: Ian65;753385
Glad you got it home safely...
He must have loved that car to go to the trouble of re-shelling it... what a strange thing to do.

Us S2 fella\'s are a strange breed....:Giggle

Offline Casey

• MRC Factotum
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
  • My Links:
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 09:09:32 PM »
Posted 12 minutes ago and 5 responses already!

Thanks guys, we wouldn\'t have entered into this adventure without knowing there is a very knowledgeable and helpful bunch of you on here. I\'ve witnessed how you\'ve helped other 1st Gen projects and I hope we can rely on your support as we go along. Hopefully we can reciprocate in turn as we gain experience.

Our target is to get her looking good for Rotorstock, where maybe we can meet some of you guys in person.
RX-8 230 Bridgeported: Racing Brake Disks & 4 pot front calipers,Full Racing Beat (RB) SS Exhaust system,RB ARB's F & R,RB REVI intake,Tein MonoFlex Coilovers & front strut brace.

Offline Casey

• MRC Factotum
  • Administrator
  • Major Contributor
  • My Links:
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 09:15:15 PM »
Quote from: syebba;753382
Looks to be very smart.
Maybe rear valence iffy?change the aerial,& back box is\'nt standard[should have 2 exit pipes].

Yep, we need to drop off the rear bumper to have a look. Both bumper side attachments are broken and there are signs of stress cracks in the plastic bumper paintwork, suggesting a minor rear end shunt. The valance underneath looks a little out of shape, but not too bad.

I kinda like the aerial, so it can stay for now at least. Not original, but it works.

It seems there is a "Janspeed" mild steel exhaust system on the car at the moment, hence the single exit pipe. Looks resasonable quality to my (untrained) eye. Make a nice sound too!

Offline syebba

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 09:16:59 PM »

Just to be really a$al,i see the upper door frames have been sprayed silver to match the car,looks pretty good like that[stock colour is black].
I\'ll go & find something more productive to do with me time now.

Offline syebba

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 09:19:18 PM »
Quote from: Casey;753390
Yep, we need to drop off the rear bumper to have a look. Both bumper side attachments are broken and there are signs of stress cracks in the plastic bumper paintwork, suggesting a minor rear end shunt. The valance underneath looks a little out of shape, but not too bad.

I kinda like the aerial, so it can stay for now at least. Not original, but it works.

It seems there is a "Janspeed" mild steel exhaust system on the car at the moment, hence the single exit pipe. Looks resasonable quality to my (untrained) eye. Make a nice sound too!

Not end of the world if u do need a new rear valence,only £38 from mazda.

Offline Clarky

• MRC Full Club Member
  • Major Contributor
    • East Sussex
    • View Profile
    • Nuts Bolts & Things
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 09:42:18 PM »
Congrats! on your first purchase, i just love the one i have just bought as well.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself...
But i can always do with some help now due to, my advancing years!

Offline Will66

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 10:08:06 PM »
I was the only one in a White suit and I am not CSI, it\'s from work. As Malcolm has already said she\'s in remarkably good shape. The engine sounds really sweet and after a good clean it was clear she\'d be looked after. There\'s work to be done getting her to Rotorstock but she\'s such a lovely old car it\'s going to be a pleasure getting her used again.

One thing that we noticed today was that there is a fair bit of play in the steering. The track rod ends and the box look and feel good and it feels like there is something with too much play in it in the column/steering box. Is it possible to adjust the steering box to remove any slack or do we need to look at a replacement?
RX8 High Power, Cusco Coilovers, Dotz wheels and flames. Shoe Size 12

Apparently putting details of your car spec in your signature means the nice folks on exile-rotorsport think you\'re a fool.  I can think of no higher compliment!

"Eat it with a chopstick!"

Offline syebba

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 09:50:32 AM »
There\'s a bush on the column,it\'s a common fault,simple 15 min job to replace & cheap.
Don\'t know if it can be adjusted,help will be on it\'s way soon!

Offline Will66

• Major Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 12:18:18 PM »
Hmmm, we\'ll have to look at this further.  It would be nice if it was a bush rather than the steering box.
RX8 High Power, Cusco Coilovers, Dotz wheels and flames. Shoe Size 12

Apparently putting details of your car spec in your signature means the nice folks on exile-rotorsport think you\'re a fool.  I can think of no higher compliment!

"Eat it with a chopstick!"